Gallery, Projects and General > Oooops!

The latest boo-boo of mine

(1/4) > >>

PeterE:
Aside from work and hobby activities I am re-decorating/renovating our guest toilet. All went weel with changing from chip-board-covererd walls to plaster board (much more suitable for tiling). when attaching the last bit using plaster board screws my wife said - " it looks like it drips from the pipe to the basin?!?!?

A quick check behind the scene (plaster board) immediately made reailty true - a cascade of water from the hot water line came out as I un-screwed the last of the screws. A dash to the main water shut-off saved too much damage and after mopping up I found that I had been quick enough.

I had pierced the copper pipe truly in center with one of the screws. With water turned off I made a "bandage" using some bicycle hose mend and a hose clamp. Unfortunately it is not pressure tight so the whole weekend we were out of running water and had to go to my sons to get some in buckets and a barrel.

Now monday I got teh problem fixed thank god.

All is now well and my after thought is to always ,always, always mark the position of pipes and cabling BEFORE covering the walls  :bang:

BR

/Peter

John Rudd:
Been there too myself...Not only with water but the ziggy stuff as well...

First off...I was drilling into the wall to fix up some battens for a false ceiling in the kitchen (very old house...trying to lower the height of the ceiling) when I drilled through a lead water pipe.......

Second time. .... I drilled through a 2.5mm cable in the wall attempting to fix the iron holder (clothes ) to the wall....the ensuing bang as I caught the live and neutral cores blew the end off the drill bit!!!......

dsquire:

--- Quote from: John Rudd on October 08, 2012, 05:30:33 PM ---Been there too myself...Not only with water but the ziggy stuff as well...

First off...I was drilling into the wall to fix up some battens for a false ceiling in the kitchen (very old house...trying to lower the height of the ceiling) when I drilled through a lead water pipe.......

Second time. .... I drilled through a 2.5mm cable in the wall attempting to fix the iron holder (clothes ) to the wall....the ensuing bang as I caught the live and neutral cores blew the end off the drill bit!!!......

--- End quote ---

John

Stuff like that gets your attention real quick.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

RotarySMP:
I feel for you. I was once doing night shift, installing some minor modification in a Canadair Regional Jet. At about 2:30 am, I drilled through a panel without a depth stop, and into a power feeder cable behind. Big sparks, dark plane, and a rather angry avionics colleague to the rescue :)

andyf:
It could have been worse, Peter.

50 years back, at age 15 and living with his parents, a pal of mine did something similar. They had sold the house, so at the last minute he removed certain magazines and books from his  hiding place under a loose floorboard in his upstairs bedroom. When replaced, the board wobbled a bit, so he nailed it down, and the family moved out.

A day or so later, the new owners arrived, to find the dining room flooded, with its ceiling completely collapsed.

Luckily, his father owned a building firm.

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version