Author Topic: emco compact 5 cnc  (Read 12119 times)

Offline jb3cx

emco compact 5 cnc
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »
Hi all,i have aquired an emco compact 5 cnc with the 6 station toolchanger,does any one else have one of these laths,what i am looking for is the welturn software.i went on to there site but it has closed down,or is there any other software i can use on this machine.the machine works fine as it is by using the keyboard on the machine to put in the g codes but it has the small tape storage system and you cant do much with that,so i want to run it from a laptop via rs 232 port.so i would welcom any help with this.
ps hope you are reading this rob.

Rob.Wilson

Re: emco compact 5 cnc
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
You have no chance of getting the software Peter , SO you may as well give it to me  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Hi
Peter
Rob already has one
I think you should give it to me  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Although it's closed down it does say existing customers can be supported by email.
Have you tried emailing them ?
John Stevenson

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:37 AM »
Hi John,sent them an email last night ,got nothing back yet,

Offline prof65

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:33 AM »
Hi jb3cx

I have the same lathe, got it for free from a school. A very good machine, surprisingly rigid and precise for its size.

Mine had some problems with step motors and drivers, so I replaced them with two salvage step motors and two Leadshine M542 drivers; now I use EMC2 for driving it. Original power supply, chuck's motor and speed control are still alive and in good order. I'm very happy with these mods.

As far as I know, all Emco CNC lathes have a built-in RS232 port, but you need a special cable; this SHOULD be the schematic (sorry but I never tried it, found it on the web).

Roberto

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
Hi Roberto.thanx for the info,mine came with the rs 232 cable fitted.so i will take it that this is the right one .emc2 was another option
i was looking at.but i dont realy want to use linux,but at the end of the day i may have no option,i have downloaded mikesfreeinterface.
so i will see how that goes and let you know
regards
peter