Author Topic: Old Dowel Extracter___ Am I correct ?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Old Dowel Extracter___ Am I correct ?
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I picked up this tool at the local Boot Sale, and it reminded me of a tool I used during my workshop training. All sizes of dowels were used which had tapped holes in the end to enable them to be extracted.  A similar tool to the one shown was scewed into the end of the dowel and the knurled slide weight slid with some force along the bar several times to knock out the dowel. This one has a 1/4 inch BSF thread and would be used on dowels from 3/8 to 3/4 inch dia. dowels. The 1/4 BSF knurled nut is I think a thread protector when not in use. Has any one used a similar tool for the same or a different use.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Old Dowel Extracter___ Am I correct ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
Commonly called a 'slide hammer' - used in all sorts of applications. There is even a version that grips a pin welded onto damaged bodywork to pull out dents. There is a special large one made by JCB for removing pin bushes in dipper arms.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
... and my dentist used a very dainty one to remove a crown for access to a bit of decay beneath. Ouch!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
Hi Guys,
              Thanks for your comments, by chance I came across a post by Noitoen in reply to Reynards problem with his stuck MT2 taper. His ref. was an Impact Bearing Puller made by Gedore for £ 20.97 + vat. All in all it
appears to be a very versatile and usefull tool, and I have learnt a lot. Andy you have really put me off the Dentist and I have a crown too!

Cheers David

Offline mechman48

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
I remember making & using one to fit tapered gib keys to flywheels onto shafts for fly presses, trod wheels on to crane line shafts etc when I served my time.. I mean apprenticeship   :Doh:,   many many moons ago, &, in the same context anyone remember using 'banana' drifts to remove gib keys from similar shafts when you couldn't access the heads with the sliding hammer?  :scratch:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Banana drift or Banana Chisel, Think i still have one somewhere George, probably not been used for 25yrs now. Overhead  cranes in our wokshops. motor couplings brake drums drive shafts all on gib keys. we had prob close to a hundred overhead cranes of between 3 and 50 tons lifting capacity mostly pre war needed consant maintenance. The banana chisel/drift an essential bit of kit.

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
I have a nail puller similar to this one that uses the handle as a slide hammer to bury the jaws in the wood before rocking back on the clamp lever and extracting the nail. Came in handy salvaging some siding.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:33 AM »
I borrowed one of those to extract nails from floorboards so they could be lifted with minimal damage. A great device; I offered to buy it, but the owner was too wise for that.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »
I have a nail puller similar to this one that uses the handle as a slide hammer to bury the jaws in the wood before rocking back on the clamp lever and extracting the nail. Came in handy salvaging some siding.

SNAP ! I have the exact same thing - handy for pulling cut nails out of Victorian floor boards - intended for taking lids  off 'proper' packing cases that were nailed shut.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Took only one time to learn not to put your fingers in the wrong place when using the slide hammer feature. Ouch!!  :wack:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
Took only one time to learn not to put your fingers in the wrong place when using the slide hammer feature. Ouch!!  :wack:

VT

I can relate to that. That's a lesson you don't soon forget. I have 2 of them, 1 I bought and the other was from my Dad. I spent many hours on the business end of one salvaging materials from buildings and skids. 

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best