Author Topic: Manchester Sight seeing ...  (Read 6562 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Manchester Sight seeing ...
« on: October 05, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
I'm in Manchester Sat night and have all day Sunday to do some sight seeing ... any suggestions as I know nothing of the area .....?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Manchester Sight seeing ...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
You may find the Museum of Science and Industry interesting - I've not been for many many years, but if I recall correctly, Stew has frequented it more recently (and there may even be a 1:1 prototype for one of Stew's models there?)

Paging Mr Hart .....

Dave

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm in Manchester Sat night and have all day Sunday to do some sight seeing ... any suggestions as I know nothing of the area .....?
Darren,

After the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) you could visit the John Rylands Library http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk which I believe is open from 12:00 until 17:00. It's close to MOSI. There's a reasonably priced cafe at the library. I can recommend the Manchester Sausage sandwich!

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

lordedmond

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
A good place to eat is the "Pleasure " in China town

Only one problem all the menu's are in Chinese and the waiters/waitress only speak their own language , chop sticks only  :Doh:

but the food is first class

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
I'll second Phil's suggestions. If visiting MOSI, do take in the world's oldest railway station (Liverpool Road), which is part of it. Opposite the entrance to MOSI (and again part of it) is the Air and Space Museum, should planes be your thing.

If time is on your hands, the Imperial War Museum North is about 2 miles W of the city centre in Trafford Park. Speaking of which, the Rugby League Final (Warrington v Leeds) is at Old Trafford, k.o. 6pm Saturday night, so it may get a bit congested round there, and in the city centre pubs afterwards, particularly if Warrington win.

And speaking of pubs, the Briton's Protection (high Victorian) adjacent to the Bridgewater Hall on the corner of Lower Mosley and Gt Bridgewater Streets is worth a visit. Find your way to the back of the bar, where it's less crowded  http://www.manchesterbars.com/britonsprotection.htm. As an alternative to Chinatown, their Grunt, Gobble and ZoomCoo pie might fill you up.

Note: the museums are free.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
Meh, nothing to see in Manchester, you'd be best off jumping on a train and heading for Liverpool, it's much more interesting there  :poke:  :lol:  :wack:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Meh, nothing to see in Manchester, you'd be best off jumping on a train and heading for Liverpool, it's much more interesting there  :poke:  :lol:  :wack:

Yes but you must take the train, don't take the car or they'll have the wheels off it quicker than any McLaren F1 team.
John Stevenson

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:38:06 AM »
You may find the Museum of Science and Industry interesting - I've not been for many many years, but if I recall correctly, Stew has frequented it more recently (and there may even be a 1:1 prototype for one of Stew's models there?)

Paging Mr Hart .....

Dave

I think you guys have covered most of it off the only thing I can add it whilst at the MMSI call into the the Spanish arcade and get an air cut, a real old time baber shop I'm as bald as a coot but it still takes them 20 min to cut my hair trim my eyebrows/nose and ears plus they always ask if you would like something for the weekend  :lol:

As for pubs try the Lass of Gowery just off Oxford road they brew the beer on the premisis and it goes down a treat.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:40 AM »
Thanks guys, plenty to go on there for one day .... Mosi is a deff, the air and space is another as it's so close, and the library if we have time .... looks all good stuff ..

I seem to remember Stu taking some dimensions for an engine build from a museum?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Deko

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
Quote from John S " dont take the car or they will have the wheels of " John, you forgot to add that it would be while the car is still moving.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Dek. :coffee:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
We visited MOSI today and thoroughly enjoyed the day ... plenty to see and I can recommend it to anyone ... How did they get that plane in ... even in bits !!

Thanks guys, you came up trumps as usual ....  :nrocks: