Author Topic: Problems with my WM18  (Read 13674 times)

Offline Jonny

Re: Problems with my WM18
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
Never a truer word than Johns said above, its cheap for a reason.

Granted the chinese have massively improved over the decades and can make tolerable goods, what they dont possess is our inbuilt 'pride in workmanship' anything will do attitude.
Name me just one product thats been passed off tolerable, yes build that and every subsequent order has literally gone down the pan ever since.

Lastly my school of thought, why support a country that doesnt recognise international patents and all that goes with it.
How on earth can you expect such companies to provide non corrupt data unless high class workmanship where it may be worthwhile returning the goods.
Its for good reason why so many US, European and British companies are setting back up again in home country. Labour rates massively increased the last couple of years similar to our own and greed without the quality.

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
Hi to all,

I fully aggree with what everyione has to say.  I would love to buy a Bridgeport and do not mind the price, but I just do not have the room for it.

So for the moment I am hand finishing any critical pieces.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Name me just one product thats been passed off tolerable, yes build that

err uhmmm???? Their aircraft carrier fleet. i watched it on TV tonight. Should have put the sh1ts ups a few 'Duck Pond Admirals'

I was in HongKong not so long ago. Quite an insight- if, and I mean if you go 'Almost as one of them' ( coughs gently) Again, I was in Stowell Street, Newcastle  and got yet another invite for next year if I can make it.

Just for the record, the Chinese are actually sending their kids over to the UK for private grammar school education and then onto UK Universities. Not the arty farty ones but the serious places. Staying with local Chinese families.

Seem to have got a lot of things sussed out.

Amazing what happens when someone politely asks for a few quid to help in one of their own charities. Indeed, they have problems- just like us.

Moved away from lathes and other such trivia, you'll see but it's surprising just how much lolly the Brits are making importing here from China-- and have nice little outlets all over the UK.

Was talking about  Aldi and Lidl prices and Chinese imports here in the Uk- and France and Spain and Austria and Germany- to name a couple. They are offering three year unconditional guarantees on- what we laughing call 'Chinese crap'.

My British spin dryer's  guarantee is ONE Year- and if I want to renew- oh, and the supplier has just gone A over T. Guesses on a five pound note!

Whilst I am in rant mode- what about Germany? I was in Osterreich tother day  watching the box- and yep, they are on the march- again.
I was watching that famous Geordie graduate electrical engineer and got the wrong channel. No, no one in the UK dare publish- it would put the Wilhelms up a few.

The other Atkinson- seems to be a connection- same village and all that.
Ooops!

Offline loply

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
I don't mind people complaining about cheap poor products that they're forced to live with, but something that nags at me is people implying that it's just stuff from China that is wrong.

Tell me - How does a £400 Chinese lathe compare to a £400 brand new British or American made lathe?

Oh wait, you can't get even get one?

For £400 a lathe made in the UK or US would not even have a leadscrew.

It's not China that's the problem. It's your budget.

As John said, it's only £80k for a Hardinge. If that's a bit steep Denford will sell you a nice 'education' quality lathe for around £20k, marginally better than the Chinese lathe for only 40x the price.

Frankly, I think they're doing a cracking job.

Rich

Offline Jonny

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
The Denford will last a lot lot longer though and be in tolerance.

Fergy you get about a bit.
Was on about production items, so one off probably a copy aircraft carrier dont count.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »
The Denford will last a lot lot longer though and be in tolerance.

Fergy you get about a bit.
Was on about production items, so one off probably a copy aircraft carrier dont count.

It wasn't just one Jonny! it was a bit like Lord Nelson and Trafalgar!
Someone on HMS Victory woke him up with the words, the French Fleet has been sighted.
He replied, tell the steward to put out my red jacket so the blood wont show. Horatio- 'There are 33' ' OK, tell him to put out my brown trousers as well!

Ok, getting about? I've had to simmer down a lot. After all, I'm over 82 now.

My Chinese connection? An addiction to junk food, perhaps :lol:
Sorry but it is my only  Chinese joke- apart from winning a Chinese Karaoke Machine. :loco: