Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Making a Cutter Holding Block

(1/8) > >>

Bernd:
You know how it goes. You plan on making some tooling. Only it's a piece of complicated tooling. I'm talking about the South Bend headstock I'm using to make an indexing device. Here's the link to it.

I've wittled out the piece of aluminum for making the clamp plate that will clamp the spindle tight after indexing. The clamp will incorporate a cotter clamp. I learned about this clamp from Guy Lautard's "Bed Side Reader #1". I'd seen them before but didn't know what they were called.

Well I designed the part with a 3/4" (19mm) diameter cotter clamp. Unfortunately I don't have any kind of drill that large. Now I have several options to make that hole. First is use a faceplate and angle plate to bore out the hole. Here's a representation of how it would be set up.

The other method would be to use a boring head in the mill. Since I don't have a boring head I'll have to use a third method. Make a cutter that will cut a 3/4" (19mm) dia. hole.

Home made cutters a fun to make and you can learn something in the process. I'm going to make a three bladed cutter to drill the hole for the cotter key clamp. But wait a minute I need my index tool finished before I can do that. Kind of a catch 22 here, right. Not really. A very simple tool is going to be made from a piece of 1.875" (47.6mm) hex stock. Hence the name cutter block.

Here's a pic of it in the lathe with center drilled hole in it. When done it will have a 1" (25mm) dia hole through the center.
Since everybody likes lots of pics I figured two would do here.

The reason I scribed the lines on it was I was going to do it in a 4 jaw chuck. Anybody see why it can't be done in a four jaw chuck. Yup, it's six sided. If it were 4 or 8 sided it would work in a four jaw chuck.

Next will be drilling the hole using several different size drills to get up to a hole dia. were I can get the boring bar in. Then the hole will be bore to 1" (25.4mm) dia.

I should have a few more steps done in the next couple of days.

So in one days time I've regressed 3 steps to making my index tool. This how it goes sometimes when making stuff. Could I buy all this equipment?. Of course I could, but fun would that be. Remember you won't have any pics to look at if I had bought all the equipment. You might even learn a trick or two for your next project.

bernd

Divided he ad:
Well you have got my attention Bernd  :thumbup:

If not only to ponder the limitless uses of pink     Mark out dye   :lol: 

I will honestly be interested in the engineering side of it too though  :dremel:   :) 

Ralph.

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on February 16, 2009, 05:11:53 PM ---

If not only to ponder the limitless uses of pink     Mark out dye   :lol: 

Ralph.

--- End quote ---

Ralph,

We need to talk about you getting an eye exam. It's a deep dark shade of green. You only think it's pink.  :D

Bernd

SPiN Racing:
It looks like the pink was dying to escape the bottle as well!!!!

:P

Cant wait to see where this is going.. Im gonna keep an eye on the cutter design...  :thumbup:

sbwhart:
Nice one Bernd  :wave: great use of Green mark out die  :thumbup:

A bit  :scratch: of how final job will look like but it will all become clear in time

Cheers

Stew :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version