Author Topic: Sanding Belts,Joining and Repairing.  (Read 9633 times)

Offline GerryB

Sanding Belts,Joining and Repairing.
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
G.Day Each,
I have a problem that i hope someone out there will have an answer.
Many moons ago i purchased in the UK a small vertical Sanding Machine,quite cheep but worked well.
I brought the unit to Australia and used it on and off for quite a while until the belt gave up.
Not managing the get the correct belts i had to order 10 that would be made up.
All well and good until they started to give up at the joints.
It seems that the joining compound they use only lasts for so long.
I cannot get any company to make me replacements only the least they will do is for an order of $100,which is twice the price of the machine.

So i am asking anyone who has been in the same boat how did you get on.
Now i have been informed that the Manufacture's of these belts will not let on as to what they use to join the belts together,big secrete.
From what i have managed to glean the Joining Compound is delivered to the company in Refrigerated Containers and is used very quickly in the joint and under pressure it is heat treated.

What have you use to join/repair your belts and did it last?

GerryB

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Sanding Belts,Joining and Repairing.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:13:43 AM »
Gerry

It shouldn't be rocket science to join cloth sanding belts. Back in the '70s I worked at a company that manufactured wood office furniture. Many times I watched John the assembly shop foreman make sanding belts for the horizontal belt sander that were over 10 feet between pulleys. They bought the sanding belts in several different grits in bulk rolls probably several hundred feet long.

He would lay one end of the belt over the other in such a way that when he cut them at an angle one would be the exact opposite of the other and produce a perfect match. He then had a grinder set up that would cut the grit off the belt for about an inch on both ends. Now he laid one side of both ends of the belt against a straight edge and allowed them to overlap about 7/8". He then put a thin coat of glue on both surfaces and made sure it was rubbed in good with minimum excess. He now laid a short piece of wood on top of the joint an put a couple of small nails through to hold it in place.

He would leave it sit there till the next day then make another. The glue that he used was the same glue that they used to glue all the wood parts together. So any good grade of wood glue should work OK.

Hope that this is some help to you. If you are using these belts on metal and there is any oil involved you may have to clean the joints with alcohol if re-gluing a joint.

Cheers :beer:

Don

PS: Type this into google and search. "How do I make a sanding belt?" It will give you more info than you want to read.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline loply

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:47:54 AM »
Here's how:

Offline GerryB

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
Thanks Don and Loply?(sorry loply but i don't know your handle)
The information is very good as it puts you on the right road to get further information.

GerryB