Author Topic: CENTRE FINDERS  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Meldonmech

CENTRE FINDERS
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
Pic1  Two little Centre Finders I made  up out of scrap. The left hand one is for holes and the 
right hand one for circular items.
Pic2  C.F.s can be made in various sizes to suit, but I find these cover the majority of my work
Pic3  Work piece is held in drill vice, C.F. is held in the drill chuck, pointer is lowered into hole.
Pic4  Vice is moved until work is centred and pointer is vertical, and aligned with mark on stem. The chuck is rotated 90 degrees and the procedure repeated in X axis.
Pic5  Shows the circular C.F. already centred in the vertical position, ready to be centre drilled.

Offline loply

Re: CENTRE FINDERS
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Very interesting.

In order for it to be particularly accurate would you not need to make the 'indicator point' further away from the pivot? Or is this just for there-abouts work?

Any idea how close they get you?

Cheers,
Rich

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
Very nice Meldonmech. I have alredy done for circular items, but I will be doing the other one. Thanks for showing.  :thumbup:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Very quick and useful tool  :thumbup: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:27:22 AM »
Thanks Guys for your comments.

Rich. On my drilling machine the quill travel is only 60mm. After centring and removing the C.F. I usually start with a centre drill, and can just complete before running out of down feed. Raising the table and re locking does slightly move the workpiece, so my C.F. was designed to suit the machine.
     I agree with your comments make your pointer as long as is practical for max. accuracy, to suit your drilling machine. Check the C.F. using scrap material to ensure you can achieve the accuracy you require.

Cheers David