The Shop > Tools

Churchill-Redman CUB MKIII Restoration

(1/8) > >>

sdezego:
Hi Folks, USA checking in here.

I'll try not to write a book, but I wanted to formally into myself.  First, I can say that I was truly inspired by Rob Wilson's Cub rebuild :eek: , so that motivated me to post, but don't expect anything of that caliber here :P.

I don't consider myself a "machinist" and don't have 1/8 of the machinery at my fingertips for a lot of what I have seen on this forum, but I have been a Mechanic pretty much all of my life and was a Harley Mechanic/Custom Builder for about 12 years before going on for my MSME.

Enuf of that.  I have been wanting to find a nice lathe to supplement my home shop, and came across a Cub that I could not resist.  Previously, had never even heard of one, but after some research seems I got a bit of a find (especially in the US).

So, after tearing it down, most of the Lathe and gears are mech sound.  Aside from the bushings and 12 years of repainted layers of fascia, it is in spectacular shape.

Here she is as I received her (did receive tail Stock and 3 jaw (not pictured)

Removed the Face plate and saw the build number which matches the Ser# on the Bed Stock

Stripped off the Apron Drive Gearbox and everything looks amazing inside!

Headstock Gears looks equally as nice!

Apron needs new Bushs and a little clean up..

Pulled off the face place and turned it around.  To my surprise:

More to come...

Regards,
Shawn

sdezego:
So, the first aspect that I was able to see any noticeable wear was on the Apron Drive pinion as you can see from this pic below.  The Rack seems to have very little wear.

Had to dig out my engineering books from eons ago to determine it is a 20T 18dp gear (a bit if a non-std DP).  I have no current facility to cut a new gear, but I am strongly considering learning and buying an involute cutter.  Problem is finagling it on the Vertical Bridgeport (I told you already I was not a machinist)  :wave:  I do have a friend that has a machine shop, so he may have a Horizontal Mill and indexer, in which case, I may have a go.

In Reality, I don't think it is terrible, but I failed to mention in my intro that I have a serious case of OCD. ...and "since it is apart"...

micktoon:
Hi Shawn , nice to see another old machine getting some attention to bring it back to how it should be, so far looks to be good condition so fingers crossed thats a sign you will not find anything too worn out as you continue to get her stripped.  :thumbup:
  I have my Harrison L5 in bits and posting its progress so know what you mean about OCD, once you start its hard not to keep going and next thing you know its all in bits  :lol:
  I will be watching your progress with interest

Cheers Mick.

sdezego:
Thanks Mick.  Yep, I have already been silently following your thread(s) as well as many others on here.  I was addicted on first click to this forum, so I started reading all of the project threads here :)

Rob.Wilson:
Hi Shawn ,,,,,,, seeing your lathe in bits brings back a few memories of my own adventures with a CUB lathe  :palm:

I would have a look on Ebay for a gear cutter and use your BP to make one , no need for a HZ mill , its not as hard as it looks  :dremel:

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version