Author Topic: not another ball turner question  (Read 3359 times)

Offline daz

not another ball turner question
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
Going to get round to making one shortly, I hope!
Any thoughts on the easiest design to make? It needs to fit on a small clarke lathe and needs to be as simple as possible.

Any ideas guys?

thanks

daz
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: not another ball turner question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:52:12 AM »
Going to get round to making one shortly, I hope!
Any thoughts on the easiest design to make? It needs to fit on a small clarke lathe and needs to be as simple as possible.

Any ideas guys?

thanks

daz

Daz

There are many many answers to your question. Here are probably several hundred ideas. type "How to make a ball turner?" into the Google search box and click on the magnifying glass. You will now have links to more ideas than you have time to read.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
Daz, here's a relatively simple one fitted to a Clarke minilathe: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/ball-turner.html .

It uses the swivel disc in the cross-slide for its pivot, though if yours is a minilathe, it would be wise to check that the cross slide will go back far enough to get the pivot axis below the lathe centre-line. As you will see, the tool is angled so it can get further round the back of the ball than most variants of Steve Bedair's design can manage.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline daz

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »
My initial problem was typing it into google Don, there are just so many designs and I didn't know which one would be the simplest to make.
The one in the link looks just the job!

Thanks guys

daz
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »
Daz

I used to always just ask a question on the forums and get an answer and a few people directeing me to Google. At first I was scared of Google and didn't know what or how to do a search. Finally I just typed in "How do I make a kite?" (or whatever I was up to that day) ended it with a question mark and put quotation marks around it. I then clicked the magnifying glass and I had my choice of answers to choose from. Any question that you can ask in a forum can be asked to Google. Best thing is to try asking a bunch of different questions and seeing the responses. It will give you some idea on how to word your questions for a search. Good luck with your ball turner.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
Daz,

This one may not be the one you want to build but maybe you can get some ideas from it.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,2938.msg31621.html#msg31621

Jope