The Shop > Metal Stuff

Scrap yards

(1/3) > >>

Twinsquirrel:
Not sure if this is the right place or whether it has been covered before but here goes,

I've been reading Stews thread about his super PB find in the scrappies with envy as whenever I have tried to visit a scrap metal merchants they never seem to want anyone mooching around for stock and turn me away saying that they never/rarely get any good stuff in.

Whats the best way to get the response we all want? Are there places to avoid? Should I change my aftershave?

Cheers

David

sbwhart:
Hi

Go as if you know what your doing and fit in overalls or scruffy kit, toe tector boots, keep clear of any machinery their using lorries etc. Seek out yard forman tell him what you want and why and did he mind you having a look round after a couple of visits they won't take  much notice of you. Some yards are better than others just find the one that acceps you.

I've bin visiting scrap yard since I was about 10 years old my dad use to take me it was better than a trip to the zoo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck

Stew

Bernd:
Wish we had something like over here. There's only two I believe near me (25 mile radius) and they won't let you look around. Libility is there biggest worry. They're afraid you might sue them if you hurt yourself.

I could on about this but won't.  ::)

Bernd

bogstandard:
Stew and myself are very lucky, our local scrappies is in fact a major recycle depot, where other small scrappies, workshops and general public can take their metal for recycling.

Everything is being sorted continually into their respective categories, so it is very easy to find what you are after.

One major problem is that you can go down there and find allsorts. A couple of hours later and it will be almost empty.

There is one young man down there that if you have a word with, will put things you ask for to one side, and as long you are not too long in returning, you will be rewarded with what you want. I asked him to save me a few sash window weights, when I went back a week later there were about 20 to 30 waiting for me.

John

Darren:
John you are very lucky, I've tried all the recyclers around here within a 60 mile radius and not one of them wants to know.

They say they are bound to the existing contracts. A couple have nodded at the security cameras and indicated that "nothing" slips out not even for the workers.

David, I live in a small village and my local scrappy is very tame. But there is only real scrap there, mostly cars and little real metal to be had.
Still, you never know what you might find...!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version