Author Topic: Got meself a new toy  (Read 17069 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Got meself a new toy
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
I should add I'm presuming something quite large here - if its effective diameter is less than about 8" then I have a rotary attachment which with a suitable jig would allow it to cut.

I'm think laser engraving rather than cutting

This is the piece I had in mind (i.e. engraving on the green surface)
Bill

Offline kwackers

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »
I tried a quick test, flat piece of ply supported on a 20mm block at one end and focussed the laser in the centre so the height varied +/- 10mm and 'lasered' a line along it's length.
As you'd expect the line width varies. Either end it was close to 2mm wide with signs of charring whilst at the focus point it looked like a line that had been drawn with a scalpel.
Finding the right power setting would improve things no end but assuming the material doesn't burn then at the very least I think you'd lose resolution at the ends.

I think it would be possible to make a jig that 'rocks' the part as the laser moves along it but unless you had a production run or could think of a simpler jig than I envisage I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »
  Hi John , I like the thread cutting plate  :thumbup:, very handy to replace old one with larger one too as they all seem to be tiny writing on the original plates, looks like its going to be a real handy bit of kit.

Cheers Mick

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »
I tried a quick test, flat piece of ply supported on a 20mm block at one end and focussed the laser in the centre so the height varied +/- 10mm and 'lasered' a line along it's length.
As you'd expect the line width varies. Either end it was close to 2mm wide with signs of charring whilst at the focus point it looked like a line that had been drawn with a scalpel.
Finding the right power setting would improve things no end but assuming the material doesn't burn then at the very least I think you'd lose resolution at the ends.

I think it would be possible to make a jig that 'rocks' the part as the laser moves along it but unless you had a production run or could think of a simpler jig than I envisage I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Oh well :(

Thanks for trying Steve. :cheers:
Bill

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »
Old thread this I know, but has anyone on the forum with one of the Chinese generic laser engraver / cutters done any tweaking of the laser tube current, and if so care to share their experiences ?

I've relatively recently got a supposedly 60 watt 500 mm x 700 mm version. It works but I reckon it's down on power. I've been through the alignment but my cutting rate seems down on what comparisons I've been able to glean from Googling.

There is at least one YouTube video showing someone setting the laser current, but his set up seemed rather lethal to me  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
Andrew, Can't help myself but ask here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum
John Stevenson

Offline SteveT

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »
Fantastic stuff, I can see this site is goning to be bad for my bank account  :mmr:
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales