Author Topic: New Band Saw Vice Handle  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Meldonmech

New Band Saw Vice Handle
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:48:31 AM »
Hi Guys

I like things nice and tight in chucks and vices, I broke the plastic handle on the band saw vice, don't really like plastic handles, so decided to cast one in aluminium. Took out the winding handle and used the wheel part as the pattern. I talced the pattern, filled the flask with sand and rammed and strickled flat. I then made a hole in the sand to take the pattern. The center line of the wheel rim level with top of the flask, noting the parting lines on the wheel the sand was rammed and sculpted up to these lines. The moulding then continued as normal. I was surprised that I was so successful with my first mould of this type. The casting was a success and it machined beautifully, a quick coat of paint for the spokes and job done.

No Rob, it was an accident!!      David

Rob.Wilson

Re: New Band Saw Vice Handle
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

No Rob, it was an accident!!      David

:lol: :lol: Likely story David  :poke:

Very nice casting  :clap: :clap:  :clap: :clap:  quite fun using odd side patterns , I could do with casting a few new handles for my mill , originals are some ye olde plastic , probably Bakelite.   

Rob

Offline loply

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
David,

Thanks for making me a new bandsaw vice handle. How did you know that mine was missing/broken?

You can drop it off whenever you're free. I knew there was a reason I didn't do it myself  :clap:

Rich

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments and good humour

David