Author Topic: HMEM changed software ............... =?)(?=)(?=/)(&(&)(%/&%  (Read 66378 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
Re: HMEM changed software ............... =?)(?=)(?=/)(&(&)(%/&%
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
What an interesting day. Pivotal might be one word to describe it.  :zap:

Old Chinese curse:  May you live in interesting times!

I'm guessing that HMEM lost at least half of its best and most prolific contributors today.  Way to go, Rick. 
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline tel

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
"Mexico" does not work, either.  :scratch:

Probably only moderators (if all of them) and new users have access to the site.
New memberships are automatically approved, but not many have chosen that way.
I for one will wait till the problem is sorted out, that won't take long.

Marcello

Well I'm a mod and I can't access either site now - talk about crappy treatment

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
Guys welcome over and i hope somebody can either clarify or correct me. Unless the forum has warned you up front that any content published on the site will or possibly be used for sale purpose in their terms and conditions? then they can not do it. You are in your rights to ask them to remove it or ask your permission first. You had to join the site to share your information and they have a responsibility in accepting that will look after your data. Just because your writings are made public does not give them the right to own it unless you are told up front?

I would suggest that all involved email asking for you posts to be removed. If you get no reply or the wrong answer then follow up with a complaint to the ISP of their behaviour.

Have a look here at another's take   http://www.forumdr.com/who-owns-forum-posts/67/
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline tel

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
Guys welcome over and i hope somebody can either clarify or correct me. Unless the forum has warned you up front that any content published on the site will or possibly be used for sale purpose in their terms and conditions? then they can not do it. You are in your rights to ask them to remove it or ask your permission first. You had to join the site to share your information and they have a responsibility in accepting that will look after your data. Just because your writings are made public does not give them the right to own it unless you are told up front?

I would suggest that all involved email asking for you posts to be removed. If you get no reply or the wrong answer then follow up with a complaint to the ISP of their behaviour.

Have a look here at another's take   http://www.forumdr.com/who-owns-forum-posts/67/

This, in part, just in from Pat J

Tel-

I have been permanently banned from HMEM.
I threatened legal action if they did not remove my drawings from the site.

Since I specifically state on all my drawings "Not for Commercial Use", I expected to at least get an answer from the new owners.

Instead I got this:

You have been banned for the following reason:
      If there is copyrighted worked please send the offenses to: Copyright Agent - Group Builder, Inc. PO Box 911 San Marcos, Texas 78667

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

It just isn't right.

I know it is just modeling,  but I have a lot of time in my drawings, and I'll be damned if someone uses them commercially.

My panties are all in a wad.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:50 PM »
I just read their T&C's and section 6 through 6.3, there is no mention that they will will solicit your intellectual rights for money (i.e charge a membership fee to see it). The internet is a wonderful thing as it keeps a lot of the old pages and you dont even know it :-) 

http://web.archive.org/web/20101226224132/http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?action=register

Here is the original T&C's you would have joined under. I would look closely at paragraph 2 and remind them of the obligation you signed up to :-)

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
Pivotal!
I like that Trout, a good descriptive word!!

Luckily we all have this place to terrorize now!!! :headband:

It is a pity what happened to HMEM, but there is nothing we can do about it except complain.
And we all know that will get us nowhere...

I loved that place and was online all the time and checking it every hour or so, sometimes more...
Sad to lose so many great people all congregated in one place.
I am sure we will all meet up in the various forums in time! :beer:

Andrew

Offline tel

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »
I loved that place and was online all the time and checking it every hour or so, sometimes more...
Sad to lose so many great people all congregated in one place.

Couldn't agree more

Offline ksouers

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
Hey Eric!
Mind if I hang out over here again?

Well, the move is done. I feel like I just put down my dog.

Would have been nice if they gave us a little notice what day it was going to happen.

I'll give them another day or two then lock the door on the old place. Damn shame to have to throw a sheet over it.

Kevin
Kevin

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
Kevin

You certainly are welcome here Kevin and we look forward to your participation.

There are a lot of us still in shock over what transpired between the afternoon of July the 12th and today. I know the feeling Kevin. When I first found out the news I had that empty hollow feeling in my stomach. It still isn't much better.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Hey Eric!
Mind if I hang out over here again?

Well, the move is done. I feel like I just put down my dog.

Would have been nice if they gave us a little notice what day it was going to happen.

I'll give them another day or two then lock the door on the old place. Damn shame to have to throw a sheet over it.

Kevin

I don't mind at all Kevin. More than welcome to hang out here!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Finally got on and it says I can edit my posts buit there doesn;'t currently seem to be a button for delete or editing posts. Did they turn them off?
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline ksouers

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Thanks Guys!

There are a lot of us still in shock over what transpired between the afternoon of July the 12th and today.

Yeah, it's been a whirlwind. I about fell out of my chair when Rick told me. But I knew he would need help with the techy stuff.
I certainly understand why he sold it. It was starting to drag me down, too. But that doesn't mean I have to like it, and I don't.

I don't think he was really looking to sell it. But the offer came along and he jumped. Probably too quick without thinking. I think to him, he was just getting rid of what had become an albatross.
Kevin

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
I've been a member here for some time, and I'm sure glad to have a place where my old friends can congregate as usual.
It sucks what just happened at HMEM!  I did a lot of work on the posts and builds I did there and so did many others, just
to get sold out.  Hard to believe someone could just auction us all off like cattle.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline ksouers

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
Hey Dean! Good to see you again!

I haven't been around here much the past couple years, but then I didn't do much lately on HMEM either, except try to keep the place from falling completely apart.
Been much too busy with the job that puts food in the freezer.

I've got a lot of catching up to do, see what you've been up to.
Kevin

PatJ

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

This, in part, just in from Pat J

Tel-

I have been permanently banned from HMEM.
I threatened legal action if they did not remove my drawings from the site.

Since I specifically state on all my drawings "Not for Commercial Use", I expected to at least get an answer from the new owners.

Instead I got this:

You have been banned for the following reason:
      If there is copyrighted worked please send the offenses to: Copyright Agent - Group Builder, Inc. PO Box 911 San Marcos, Texas 78667

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

It just isn't right.

I know it is just modeling,  but I have a lot of time in my drawings, and I'll be damned if someone uses them commercially.

My panties are all in a wad.

Tel-

I was hoping that the "panties" thing would stay just between you and I, but I guess it is sort of out on the street now.
Well, they are "manly panties", none of that sissy stuff don't you know.

Pat J

Offline 90LX_Notch

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »
I'm just blown away by what happened.  But, it is what it is.  Life is dynamic and so we move on.

I've been a lurker of MadModder and know that a bunch of HMEM* crew is already here. So, now I'm here.

-Bob

* Is this a new four letter word?  :D
Former HMEM member.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »
90LX_Notch

Welcome to MadModder Bob. We are glad to see you here and look forward to your participation in the various forums.

I am a mod on here as well but don't let that scare you.  :lol: :lol:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

PatJ

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
I must say that I am extremely happy that I started my own forum when I did.
The stuff I left on HMEM is what I consider my warmup for the work I have posted on CSEE.

Granted CSEE has a very narrow scope, very few members, and very few posts, but at least when I read it, it is a topic which greatly interests me, and at least I will always know that my CSEE members will always own their stuff, and will always be able to do whatever they want with it, add to it, delete it, whatever, without ever having to worry about being sold out.

I guess you can be a big popular commercial site, or a little nothing of a site like CSEE.
I will take CSEE and its permenantly commercial-free format over anything.

I would close CSEE long before I ever consider selling it.
The CSEE work belongs to the CSEE people, I don't own it, I didn't create most of the posts on it.
I am just grateful I moved when I did, and grateful of the contributions from a number of people to CSEE.

Maybe Eric can accomodate some folks here.
I would hate to scatter such a great crowd.

Pat J

Offline Pete49

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »
I just found out it was sold when I logged on just now and looks like I will be spending more time here now.
just need to make sure we keep giving Brass the donations so we stay in front
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »
Eric
Requesting permission to come aboard , Sir.  Seems although I'm not quite banned at HMEM, I've definitely been uninvited and noted as among the persona non grata. I watched several posts get deleted today and anything that annoyed Austin was promptly locked. Doesn't take much to see where the thing is going, so I voted with my feet. . From the looks of things, I'm obviously not the only refugee to make the same move.  HMEM will likely survive, but at what level of contributor expertise remains to be seen. That it will be quite a bit lower than anticipated by Austin and company seems to be rapidly becoming fairly obvious. PatJ's ban was a real eye opener, considering all it required was a few clicks to do as he requested.  :zap:
Steve
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:39:31 PM by cedge »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
Requesting permission to come aboard , ...

Sure... but really? You already have 322 posts...  :wack:

:loco:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

PatJ

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
Hey Cedge-

Long time no see.
I am still laughing about the turd in the punchbowl story.
Can we say "turd" on this forum?

(Sorry, I will try and control myself, its a full time job.)

Pat J

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
Steve

I don't know if welcome aboard is appropriate but definitely welcome back. Its been a while but glad to see you back. How is that hotrod doing that you were playing with?

I'm looking forward to your participation again.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

PatJ

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
I get a dintinct "Elvis has left the building" feel on the other site.
Rather errie.
Maybe it is just late.

Offline tel

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:39 AM »
Tel-

I was hoping that the "panties" thing would stay just between you and I, but I guess it is sort of out on the street now.
Well, they are "manly panties", none of that sissy stuff don't you know.

Pat J

Sorry Pat - me 'copy and paste' finger slipped - honest! :wave: