Author Topic: Starting a coal stack...  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Kjelle

Starting a coal stack...
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
Hi all.
We went for a trip to an old mine/outdoor museum today, and there they make charcoal the old-fashioned way. I hope someone is curious enough to look through this, as it's the way we here in Sweden made coal for iron-making from the middle ages onwards. We don't have coal as on the British Isles....
And as
 :worthless:
my lovely wife took some pictures...

It's not the biggest I've seen (mostly in pictures), but it will yield about 30 cubic metres of charcoal from 70 cubic metres of wood.

They held quite a long introduction/lecture before lighting it up.

And then, when the fire got going, more wood was tipped down

About 2 hours later, they open it up to stoke the fire, and covered the area with smoke

After this, they put in a smokestack, and monitor it, closing and opening air inlets to keep it from burning (but keeping it hot enought to burn off all non-combustibles)
This will be tended to round the clock for 5-7 days, then they will close it airtight and in approx 2 weeks they will be able to start raking it apart and see the results. It will be packed in sacks and sold, to help  finace the mine-museum...
If you come to Stockholm in the summer, this is about an hour 30 minutes drive from the city center
Here's a link to their home page (only in Swedish, use Google translate to get an idea of what they offer);
http://www.skottvangsgrufva.se/

Kjelle (still smelling of the smoke)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Starting a coal stack...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Kjelle

Beautiful pictures. Be sure to thank your lovely wife. That is something I had never seen before. Thank you for posting them and the description of what is happening.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:06 AM »
Cheers Kjelle

Thats a very large clamp  :bugeye:  :clap: :clap: :clap: , was it an Iron ore mine ?

Rob

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
Cheers Kjelle

Thats a very large clamp  :bugeye:  :clap: :clap: :clap: , was it an Iron ore mine ?

Rob

Hi Rob!

Yes it was... Probably delivered to Åkers Styckebruk, for making artillery pieces (stycke means piece, as in a gun). There is 2 pieces in the grounds, and I think they are from Åkers...

Kjelle

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »
Thank you Kjelle, it looks very interesting and it is nice to see people raising funds for a museum by keeping old traditions alive.

Jim