Author Topic: Shesto Cadet?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline daz

Shesto Cadet?
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Hey guys, not been about for a while due to other commitments that keep getting in the way :-(
I have picked up the above lathe for free (it was getting chucked out!) It is in superb condition as it came from a school and was probably not used very much. My problem though is I can't find much information about them on the net. I know they used to run on old BBC computers but I wasn't given the computer with the lathe. Does anyone know if I can get it to run without spending a fortune?
If not, it will reluctantly be destinned for the scrap bin

thanks

darren
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline buffalow bill

Re: Shesto Cadet?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
Darren,
Have no info about the machine but if you cannot get it to go, can I give you some beer tokens for it?
Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
Software wise, you should be able to use emc2 or Mach3 on a PC instead of whatever the BBC ran.

emc2 and MAch3 both output contrl pulse via the parallel port - you will likely need a breakout board to connect from parallel port to the connections the machine had to the BBC.

If you are lucky the machine will have modern arrangement of step pulses on one pin, with direction signal on another for each axis.  If you are unluckly it may expect up pulses on one pin, down pulses on another - I've converted a machine like that quite simply.

Spindle control could be nothing (i.e. manual), on/off, or variable speed - the hardwire required will vary a bit in each case, but mach3 or emc2 can cope with any.

Obviously best if someone can find technical info on the machine - but with only 2 axes and perhaps spindle control, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out what the control signals are.

Aged driver circuits probably won't offer micro-stepping, but should still work.

Offline daz

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys,

David, I have found a bit more info and it is looking more complex than I can be bothered with just now, the only board that can be salvaged is the PSU and the rest has to be replaced. Unless of course I can find an old BBC computer with the software on it. The main reason I took this lathe is that it came from the secondary school I went to, and the first program I ever wrote was more than likely carried out on this very machine. I have far too much on the go at present to make a decent attempt at it, and more importantly it would probably sit in the shed for the next few years gathering rust and dust. I would rather see someone else get it running and make use of it. It looks like a fine wee lathe and to good to go to waste.

Bill, I am afraid there has already been a dibs called on it by another forum member. But if it falls through for any reason it's yours, I will let you know as soon as I find out.

EDIT: I just had a phonecall from my mate who got the lathe for me, he is an IT guy for the local council and I phoned him to enquire about the BBC computer that would have been lying about with it. His reply was "The reason they replaced the lathe was because the last time they fired up the computer it burst into flames, they couldn't get a replacement at the time and were already looking at replacing the old equipment"

darren

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
Hey guys, not been about for a while due to other commitments that keep getting in the way :-(
I have picked up the above lathe for free (it was getting chucked out!) It is in superb condition as it came from a school and was probably not used very much. My problem though is I can't find much information about them on the net. I know they used to run on old BBC computers but I wasn't given the computer with the lathe. Does anyone know if I can get it to run without spending a fortune?
If not, it will reluctantly be destinned for the scrap bin

thanks

darren

Hi Darren,

Have you seen this: http://www.eaziform.co.uk/index.php?products,cncupgrade

This is the website of Conqueror Design who almost certainly made the original control for the lathe. It looks as though they may do a kit to enable you to control the lathe from a PC.

Whatever you do don't throw it in the scrap bin - unless of course it's the one in my workshop!

:beer:

Phil.

[I think I still have three BBC computers somewhere!]
Phil Fern

Offline daz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
I am afraid mine is either an earlier or later version as it does not have the Conqueror boards in it.  I can't remember offhand the names that are stamped on them but will check when I get into work tomorrow, I know you guys love your photos so will take some tomorrow to keep you all happy :). I have been on their website and they can supply all the bits required so it will be a nice wee project for someone who has the time, but I am afraid you are third on the list now :-)
I didn't realise a wee lathe like this would be so popular and I am glad I can give it a new home, and someone else a new lathe to play with :thumbup:

darren