Author Topic: Brass monkies  (Read 27961 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Brass monkies
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
Heat..... Cool!!  :)

Well something like that! ....

So, this weekend it should be toastie?? I might see if a scheduled visit is possible ehh John?  :)

I'm not as good with the cold as John is.....  I am as some around here like to say "nesh" ..... I don't know it's origin, but it means wuss like in the cold!!!  ::)

So OI need the occasional warm up!!

Glad your back to full running  :thumbup:

Skype..... I've heard of that ( at this point John does this....  :wack:  :wack:  :wack:  Since he supplied me with his old camera about a month ago!!!) I'll have to get my lazy ass sorted ehh!?!!??

Right .... Sleep now!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
The reason Cedge doesn't have a vid is because he doesn't want everyone to know he walks about naked when he is in his shop. :D

EEEP!

You all saw pictures of my garage/shop. Yes nobody would see, but OH MAN.. the potential for metal shavings.. <shudder>

I dont honestly think you could pay me to go in the garage and machine ANYTHING in the buff!!!

And yes I know you were playing John  :ddb:
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
That's why Cedge has no vid of himself in the shop because it would be a scary sight with all those burn marks.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
John pleased you got your heating problem sorted  :thumbup:

I think I'll give you visit you tomorrow now  :lol:

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »
No probs Ralph and Stew,

Normal routine, either give me a call or email. As long as you give me time to dispose of the bodies of uninvited people.  :hammer:

Bandit can only eat just so much meat in one sitting, and bones are a pain to turn down to shavings on a lathe. :dremel:

Ralph, don't forget to bring discs (burning type). Stew, just bring yourself. You are both always welcome.  :thumbup:

Now too hot Bogs.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Can you feel the envy from here?

Must be real nice for like minded people to meet up and have a good old chin wag....

Darren, home alone.....

Actually I'm going to a tool auction tomorrow so don't feel too sorry for me, yes another one...... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
And there's another on Sat.... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 02:57:39 AM »
Darren,

Don't feel too disgruntled, you will be visiting soon to pick up your lathe. :(

It would have been finished yesterday, but another visitor dragged me out of the shop, just as I was making the last parts.

So after I get finished with the bone benders today (physio)  :hammer:, depends how I feel, I will try to get in there and finish it off. :dremel:

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »
Can you feel the envy from here?

Must be real nice for like minded people to meet up and have a good old chin wag....

Darren, home alone.....

Actually I'm going to a tool auction tomorrow so don't feel too sorry for me, yes another one...... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
And there's another on Sat.... :lol:

Yeah Yeah... At least you guys are fairly close to each other over there. If I wanted to go see, say SPiN Racing... I have at least a 16 hour drive.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »
I have at least a 16 hour drive

That is the problem with living on a continent rather than a country.

But your 16 hour journey would take twice as long in the UK. The only problem is, a journey that far would have us falling off the edge of our little island.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
a journey that far would have us falling off the edge of our little island.

But only by approx' an hour..... I worked it out on google maps  :lol:  .... The last bit might require a four wheel drive though!!  :doh:

I still think the trade off between land and space over distance to get to stuff is uneven..... I want more room! (and wouldn't mind a little drive)  :D

Talk about way, way  :offtopic:      :lol: 

Ralph.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 04:02:37 AM »
He always welcome to come to Florida!

Im driving to NC in a couple months for a Mazda event.. so will be about 16-18 hours north :) Race car in tow LOL

And I have to say.. you all over the pond have engineering and model shows!!! We dont have anything like that I have ever seen :(
SPiN Racing

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 04:08:07 AM »
And I have to say.. you all over the pond have engineering and model shows!!! We dont have anything like that I have ever seen :(

Don`t you have "Cabin Fever"....... (Or something similar?)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 05:01:55 AM »
Only Cabin Fever event I know of is a race at Sebring :) And its in teh winter for the rest of the world :P

I might just have to do some searches and see what I can see...
SPiN Racing

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:15 AM »
Oops!
Just missed it.......  ::)

http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/

Guess it`s a little north of you?  :scratch:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
Spin,

Cabin Fever was in Jan. Met Steve and Eric and few others that hang here. It's held in York, Pa. Steve could have brought you along since he lives in South Carolina.

Next big show is N.A.M.E.S. (North American Model Enginieering Show) held in Toledo, Ohio.

Next time your at a book store stop over at the magazine stand and see if they have any metal working magazines. They have show schedules in them.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
Holy Smokes!!

Penn is a solid 2 day drive away LOL....

Ohio is a solid day and a half... shoot for that matter its about 6 to get out of Florida LOL

I am gonna have to go to Borders or something similar and see whats out there magazines wise, and see if I can plan for something.

Just got done reserving a House at a resort in the mountains of NC, near the Tenn border for a Mazda Rotary event in April. Its a yearly event but costs me around $800 in Diesel fuel each year.  :(
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
How much Diesel would $800 buy, it would buy about 110 US gallons in the UK:-  we pay £0.90/Ltr thats about $7/US gallon  :smart:

I run a 2 ltr Diesel and get 44 miles / Uk Gallon out of it.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
He he he Well the Dually towing the race trailer etc... doing 75PMPH gets between 13 and 14 MPG.
It takes One refill to get to NC from here. Thats 27 Gallons per fillup. SO around 50 Gallons to get there.

The problem is the mountains.

Once I hit them Im in 1st and second gear for around 4 hours to get to the resort. Completely kills the mileage on the truck.. I have no idea how bad it gets honestly.. I have not actually looked.. but the turbo diel is sitting at 6-9 pounds of boost the whole time in 1st and second weaving around in the mountains.
SPiN Racing

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
He he he Well the Dually towing the race trailer etc... doing 75PMPH gets between 13 and 14 MPG.
It takes One refill to get to NC from here. Thats 27 Gallons per fillup. SO around 50 Gallons to get there.

Hells bells I get about 10 mpg [ and our miles are longer ] out of a 17 tonne Mercedes lorry fully loaded and never drop lower than 3rd on any of the hills out of a 6 speed box.

JS.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

Re: Brass monkies plus offtopic posts
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »
 :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

This post is starting to become a classic for  :offtopic:

Started out with my boiler going down, then thru a discussion about names for money, followed by a Skype discussion, then a bit on workshop heating and now, fuel consumption when driving cross country.

Definitely this post is worth keeping going.

Lets see if we can get it to when my boiler breaks down again.

:offtopic: Bogs

bogstandard

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »
So lets get this post going, but remember, if it changes from one topic to another, it must be related in some way to the previous topic or say a max of three posts back. That will give you a chance to resurrect an old subject.

So going back to John's one on fuel consumption in his wagon.

I only ever go cross country now on my mo'sickle.

My supercharged minus 3.5 HP Suzuki Wagon R Special gives between 45 & 60 MPG on a run, it just depends whether I stick my feet thru the floor and get it up to the ton (100 mph), going downhill with a tailwind.

My old bike gives somewhere between 25 MPG (around the ton cruising) and 50 MPG (autocruise set at 77mph). If I was towing my bike trailer, the autocruise would be set at 66 mph.

I have a special ignition timing disc that needs to be fitted (if ever I can work that low again), which will supposedly give me an increase in power and fuel comsumption of up to 10%. They detuned the 1500cc engine of my bike when it went into production, this timing disc brings it back to the original engine specification.

If the weather is fine, I know which one I would prefer.

Now that should give you something to chew on.

Bogs

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »

[/quote]
Hells bells I get about 10 mpg [ and our miles are longer ] out of a 17 tonne Mercedes lorry fully loaded and never drop lower than 3rd on any of the hills out of a 6 speed box.

JS.
[/quote]

John

I agree that your gallons and quarts are larger but as I remenber all American, Canadian and British miles are all :smart: 5280 feet long. Now if you start talking about those punny kilometers thats another story for another thread.

Cheers  :wave:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 03:23:05 AM »
13/14 mpg, wow... :jaw:

I complain at 35mpg, that's why I converted to run on LPG about 4 yrs ago...

Do you actually drive yours....... :poke:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 04:01:32 AM »
This post is starting to become a classic for   :offtopic:

Started out with my boiler going down, then thru a discussion about names for money, followed by a Skype discussion, then a bit on workshop heating and now, fuel consumption when driving cross country.

:lol:    :lol:     Now that's pretty funny John   :thumbup:

I don't know what all this fuss is about .... MPG!!! sod it!  I put fuel in to get where I want..... It costs! That's it!

If I started to worry over little things like pence per gallon etc I'd never visit anyone, drive into the hills or anything of the likes..... You have the freedom of fast transport....... It's brilliant and I love it..... It'll be a very,very high price hike before I give up my freedom!  .... Was that all an answer to something or just me spouting c74p??  :scratch:     :ddb:   

If your struggling John, you gan sit in a deck chair and instruct me.... I'll change your timing disc over.... I have swung a few spanners over the years  :thumbup: .... Can you wait until a bit dryer weather though   :doh:

I love random   :offtopic:   discussions that have no real bearing to the original  :lol:   (fun in the right area.... Water cooler!  :thumbup:)

Ralph.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Brass monkies plus offtopic posts
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 04:23:47 AM »
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

This post is starting to become a classic for  :offtopic:

:offtopic: Bogs

Sorry what I should have mentioned is that I got the truck out, filled it with diesel and went to fetch a new circuit board for my boiler  ::)

JS.
John Stevenson