Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

model steam engine: Comments on the design I have in mind?

(1/6) > >>

jonogt:
Sorry the images came out so large, but

Design 1:

Design 2:

The sketches are rough, but hopefully they give the idea.

I guess I'm going for the simplicity of a valveless tilting piston steam engine, but with a directed exhaust outlet instead of actually tilting the piston.  I want to do this so that I can route the exhaust in an aesthetic way such that you can actually see the steam coming out of a smokestack.  I've looked at quite a few different model engines online, and can't seem to find any that are set up like this.  Would it work?  If not, what problems would I be running into?

Also, which of the 2 configurations I have shown would run better?  If they would perform equally I think I'd like to use the first one over the second.  I'm planning to make the piston out of stainless steel, and since this design would probably require the piston to be decently long, I thought I could partially hollow it out to reduce the weight.

In case of concern:  I drew those sketches in Microsoft paint, but I'm not going to use that for making my actual plans.  The computers at the library have autoCAD, which I'm plenty handy with, that I'll be using.  I just don't have it on my personal computer and wanted to get a post up to see what you guys thought.

Are there any free downloadable engine calculators online for designing these things?  I'd like to be able to run the engine at fairly low speeds, but I don't know to well what the optimal dimensions and such are.

Thanks a lot for any help, comments, advice, etc.

-Jon

Darren:
Hi Jon,
Never built and engine myself, but

I don't think this will work? You need both ports at the same height with some sort of valve to open and close them as required. In your diagram the steam will go in and out of the inlet port and I doubt much will exit the exhaust.

The wiggling piston bore type is in effect a valve opening and covering each port as required.

sbwhart:
Hi Jon

You will need some way of opening and closing the flow, I think what you are trying to do is let the energy in the fly wheel carry it over but it will have to work against pressure there just wont be enough energy in it.

If your just starting out you can't go far wrong than building a simple osilating engine there are plenty of plans available, if you do a google search and I'm shure some of the guys here can point you where to go. If you want to do some experiments these engines are great, there's no limitation to what you can do and they are very easy to work with and great fun. :clap: I think if you ask the guys we've all made them at some time

Have

Fun :wave: :wave:

Stew

sbwhart:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3810.msg38806#msg38806

Hi Jon

If you follow the link there are some plans from a friend of mine I know he won't mind me sharing them with you.

Cheers
 :wave:
and have fun

Stew

bogstandard:
Jon,

Both your engines WOULD work if you controlled the inlet.

You would require a combined inlet/exhaust.

This is one I designed and built a while back, and is undergoing a facelift at this time.

The inlet valve is fired from the crankshaft at the correct time, but only for a short period, then the exhaust valve automatically opens until the inlet is fired again.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version