Author Topic: Finally got a mill  (Read 14754 times)

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
Finally got a mill
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:14:27 AM »
Hi to all,

After taking a few months of from the shed I am finally ready to get back into turning large chunks of metal into chips, so we took the plunge and bought a new milling machine.  I have done a lot of research on the various makes and models so when my brother and I visited the UK in October last year, I had a look at some and talked to some suppliers.  Based on this, space and cost the final choice fell on the Warco WM-18 witch I could get direct from the Spanish dealer.

It arrived midday Wednesday and the task of cleaning and stripping it down into manageable pieces commenced.

The first, and heaviest piece, the column located on the bench.

Then it was cleaning, lubricating and assembling piece by piece.  I also took measurements of some parts for future conversion to CNC.

After a day and a half it only needs the head refitted.

Cheers all
Abraham

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Finally got a mill
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:23:45 AM »
Abraham

Congratulations on finally getting your new mill. It should certainly help with making some of the pieces that you require for your models. I will be watching to see what you get up to first with the mill. Have fun and enjoy, safely.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
Abraham,

Oow ........ all nice ..........and clean .............and new  :drool:

Congats on a very nice mill  :thumbup: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline stefang

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
A new machine to the shop is always a great moment :)

Nice machine and its the right size for a hobby machine shop.

What taper does the spindle have?

Stefan

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
While the head is off would be a good time to add two additional clamping bolts to help maintain tram. That seems to be the most recommended mod for this model. (My Grizzly G0704 came with two "tee" bolts that were perfect fit once shortened a bit.)

Joe

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
Thanks guys.

Stefan,  could only get a MT3, but on the other hand allows me to share some tooling with the lathe.

Head is back un, busy tramming and checking alignments.  Awaiting shipment of accesories so I can do some machining.

Joe, thanks for that one,  will look it up.

Cheers

Offline stefang

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Nothing wrong with MT3, I got it also on all my machines, its great when you can swap the tooling beween milling machine, cnc milling machine and lathe.

Just remember not to tighten the crap out of the drawbar, then the tools will release very easy.

:thumbup:

Stefan

Offline MadNick

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
Nice looking machine :)

What is the first thing you intend to make with it?

Nick

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
Hi did the Gas strut come with it ? and have you got any Pictures of the X and Y  screw nuts and screws ?  thanks

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
Nick,
The bed and support column for my 7 x 12 lathe that has been lying around in pieces for the past 6 months and hopefully the bits to convert the mill to CNC.

Peter,
Yes it came with the strut.  No pictures but took measurements so I can draw them for the CNC convertion, once done I could send you a copy.

Spent most of the day researching CNC convertion and some mods, will post as and when I do mods.

Abraham

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
thank you for that offer I have the WM14 that has the same head but 100w less motor but the weight is the same supposedly and mine does not have the strut is it a single ? I have seen some with twins fitted on your model but as an extra can you possible post a picture where it's fitted and yes I will take you up on the offer PM me when you have them and Ill send you my email
I am hoping to convert mine to R8 via the bits available from the Grizzly version
thanks again

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
Hi all,

Looking into the 3 bolt mod for the head as suggested by Joe, I decided to take the head off again and do the mod as well as the tramming aids one (well published on the web).  The mod uses the two T bolts that are included in the tool kit to add two additional fixing bolts to the tilting head.

Using a template the two additional holes was hand drilled in the head.  The same template is then used as a guide to install the bolts,.

The tramming aids are basically two adjustable supports mounted at the top corners of the head slide.  Once set and locked they can be swung out of the way to tilt the head and brought back into position to tram the head.  As I do not have any collets yet, the support were hand made and the actual mill used to drill the holes.

Peter,

With the head off I took some pics of the strut mounting.  The top is just a rectangular block mounted below the head lead screw nut. At the bottom the ball end of the strut just screws directly into the cross web of the base.

Next up tramming the column and the head.

Abraham

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »
thank you for that It's a neat job. they are not fitted on the Geizzley's to my knowledge , I am about to fit the tramming aids.

Peter

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
Hi all modders,

I spent some time to tram the mill, firstly the head to the column where I had to use shims between the head and the head slide to get the quill parallel to the column in the Y-axis.  The tramming aids are a great help, not only for setting but also as additional support to keep the head in position. The assembly was then trammed to the table using shims at the column to base mounting.  Spending time paid off as I managed to get all to within 0.005mm.

The accessories also arrived and as  I was eager to try the mill I made some T-nuts that I can use with my existing M10 clamp set in the 14mm slots of the mill table.

I am very happy with my choice of this mill; even using a 63mm face mill it took everything I threw at it without any complaints.

Spent some time scaling and converting to metric one of the Elmer engines as a possible first project once the lathe is running.

Abraham

Offline mechman48

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:59:56 AM »
 :wave:
Hi Abraham; nice set up, am awaiting delivery of my WM 16 shortly. what size is the vice you have, it looks like a Vertex K4 4" ? or if it's part of your accessories it could be ..Warco catalogue # 5479- 100mm jaw width?, would appreciate info on other accessories you bought to go with it.
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »
Hi George,

The vice is a 100mm from ArcEuro http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Machine-Vices at the bottom of the page.  Futher got a ER25 collet holder and collet set from CTC tools in China to hold cutters, and some endmills from Richontools.  I would also sugest a clamping set, just make shure what the actual T-slot width is as some manufacturers incorectly quote the stud size as T-slot size.  There are still a lot more on my wishlist but for now I can make chips.

Cheers
Abraham

Offline mechman48

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
Hi Abraham
Thanks for the info', snap! I have also got a E25 collet set with MT3 & MT4 holders from CTC tools which I needed for my Clarke Mill/Drill combi, I have now received a MT2 holder from same co. as the WM16 unforunately has a MT2 in the quill, still I can still use the MT4 in the WM250-F headstock so all is not lost. I also have a clamping set bought from Arc Euro & like you I checked the stud size & it is M10 thread which will fit the WM 16 (12mm slot) phew! I also have previously bought a number of end & slot mills, tee slot cutter, dovetail cutter from CTC tools (usual disclaimer) whom I have found to be very reasonable compared to UK prices..some of which were 1/2 the price (Yeh! I know, you gets what you pay for) but I'm satisfied with their material so far.

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Looking good. :clap:

How does the X-axis bevel gear feels to use? Touched one 15 years ago on the shop I desided not to buy one. They are probably better now.

How does the gear sounds like?

Have you done some drilling? How does it goes?

Pekka

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Hi Pekka,

The bevel drive is on the Z-axis (column) and works fiine.  Yes, have drilled and milled with it and am very happy with the outcome, it certainly has enough power for what I get up to.  (will soon do some updates to my lathe rebuild thread if my current "stunt" works.)

Abraham

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 06:13:02 AM »
Aargh my butterfingers :Doh: I was thinking Z and pressed X! Really can't think and write English at the same time!

Very pleased to hear that your machine is good for your purpose. I have been dreaming of buying a mill/drill mainly for drilling but I'm affraid I will err again on too small one and I don't have space for a big one. Have to completely clean my garage/workshop to make some space.

Keep us posted about the machine and how it is.

PekkaNF