The Shop > Tools

Making short precision tapers

<< < (2/3) > >>

bogstandard:
Ralph,

The decision to use the mini grinder as it is, is still open at this moment, that 1/8" spindle does look rather susceptible to being bent out of position, and I think it would be a pig to get straightened up again.
Also I would have liked to go a bit faster, so I just might still go for a high speed spindle and and double up the speed with a couple of pulleys. That will get me just over the 100K RPM which is ideal for the size of drills I am using.

Stew,

Now you see why.

John

SPiN Racing:
WOW very very cool....

Turning it to 1/8 while the  chuck is mounted.. very wise. AKA no runout..

<adds that to notes>

Kludge:
This is ubercool, John, especially since I have two JT0 chucks plus the Clisby has a small MT0 taper for which adapters seem scarce.  (I don't know about the headstock yet.)  At the moment, the only thing I have that accepts a JT0 taper fits my 8mm lathe which means I have a lot of work to do. 

Thank you!

Best regards,

Kludge

bogstandard:
Kludge,

No, THANK YOU.

Your reply has made the effort worthwhile.

If it has given thought to, or helped just one person, the time spent has not been wasted.

:proj:

It is amazing how small recollections from the past, can be turned into useful little articles that can maybe help others.

John

BTW on the original article, you may have noticed that for turning the final 1/8" spindle, I had changed over to a tipped tool.

The reason being, I had to get the lathe up to its top speed to try to prevent the unsupported fine spindle from deflecting while I took superfine cuts. I was worried that the uncooled HSS cutter might overheat. If I had used coolant, I wouldn't have been able to see how the cut was progressing, plus, at that speed I would have got rather wet.

Kludge:
John, I have completely failed to not learn from you. 

Just thought I'd mention it.

Best regards,

Kludge

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version