The Shop > Tools

Chuck stop

(1/2) > >>

bogstandard:
To compliment Ralph's mill backstop, here is one for your lathe chuck.

This is an extract from an email I sent to a good friend.

Find attached a C-o-C for a chuck backstop. You might need to find out if the morse taper can fit thru your chuck, if it does, then just use a length of bar to tap it back out from the rear of the spindle when you have finished. I have turned the tapered bit down before now, so it isn't as wide at the big end, just to get it to fit thru the chuck. With all my backstops, I just turn up a range of rod lengths and diameters and use what is required for the job.

I hope it can be understood.

Bogs

SPiN Racing:
OK Waitaminute...

Insert Noob comment here.

My Lathe has.. the ability for rod to be passed through it. I think 0.8 diameter.  Are you saying that.. the end of it might be a MT taper? Inside the threaded end? (Threaded where the chuck goes onto it)

Im at work or I would bundle myself up and go out to the garage and check.

bogstandard:
Spin,

If it is any sort of normal lathe it should have a morse taper socket in the spindle nose.
Going by the diameter you have mentioned, it would most probably be 3MT.

If it is a 3MT, you could easily take your chuck off and mount in MT collets. Just make yourself a drawbar to hold them in and tighten them up, away you go, precision machining. But only for short lengths of material.

Bogs

John-Som:
Thanks John

To suit my particular lathe, which has very limited space behind the chuck - well actually there isn't any space at all. I shall modify the soft MT3 taper by removing all the excess overhang and fitting with a threaded rod and lock nut as per C-o-C

John S

bogstandard:
Nice one John.

Where did you get the blue C-o-C from?

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version