Author Topic: Elcheapo Tapping Stand  (Read 16745 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Elcheapo Tapping Stand
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
Hi Chaps

Back on line  :thumbup:

I've been threatening to make a tapping stand for some time its one of those jobs that you know will make your work better, but you keep getting by with what you've got  :hammer:.

I've kept my eyes open for odd bits and pieces for a stand for some time this is what was in my collection:-

1:- A cast iron cube that was origonaly from some sort of jig I pick it up when visiting a firm that does subcontract work for my company they were throwing out a couple of these cubes and I managed to cadge one FREE.

2:- Some 12mm dia mild steel rod from a cast out school retort stand

3:- A bit of ally bar, bit of 30mm steel bar, bit of 25mm brass bar picked up from the scrap yard for a few pence.

4:- A couple of black plastic machine handles that followed me home.

5:- A small Jacobs Chuck picked up at the loco club annual tool auction for 50p

First job was to drill and tap the cast iron cube M6 to take the thread that was already on one end of the 12 mm rod, cut the rod off to length and clean it up a bit and screw it in.

Then the ally bar was cleaned up with a fly cutter, on end was drilled 12mm to take the rod(sorry no pics of this)
the other end was drilled then using a boreing head opened out to 18mm

The bar was then turned through 90deg and the 12mm hole end slit with a slitting saw then drilled and tapped M5 and one half drilled out M5 clearance to make a split clamp

The small handle had a M10 thread in the end so an adaptor was turned up with M10 at one end and M5 at the other this was loctited in the handle to make a clamp screw

A small washer was made that just slipped in the slot to act as a stop so that the clamping forces wouldn't close in the slot to much and make it dificult to adjust.

A brass bearing bush was turned with a good length so that the rod would slide up and down but wouldn't be too sloppy, this was loctited in place

A steel knurled collar was made to slide up the tapping rod,

One end of the tapping rod was turned down to be a nice fit on the counter bore register in the end of the chuck it was then threaded 3/8 UNF and the chuck screwed on and it concentricity checked because I'd made use of the register run out was 0.07mm, that'll do me.  :thumbup:

The other end of the rod was threaded 1/2 BSW to take the larger handle as this was on a 12mm rod I didn't get a complete thread but there was enough there to make it fit for function especialy as the handle already had a couple of grub screws to lock everything in place

The chuck and the collar were fixed in place with loctite.

That,s it job done  :thumbup: for less than a squid.

Cheap skate Stew

:D :D :D :D

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:25:47 AM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Elcheapo Tapping Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
That's a good looking stand you have there Stew.... :thumbup:

That's some cast iron block as well... :bugeye: Good find  :clap:

You'll have to let us know how you get on with it....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
When I was talking to you last night, I didn't realise you were so close to finishing.

That looks really well, and I am sure it will do it's job as good as it looks.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »
Thanks Chaps

Her's another pic of the stand I never thought of it but that cast iron cube is heavy enough to use it like this. You realy need to think jobs like this through to get the best out of it.

John showed me his mill vice stop last night and it amazed me the amount of thought and planning that he put into it all the clamps tighten up in a position that won't get in thay way: the reach and range of the stop the way it can be tucked out of the way when not needed.

So does it work you want to know well I didn't use it right away I wanted to give the adhesive time to go off so gave it a try tonight tapping some 12BA (1.1mm tapping drill) thats the smallest taps I've got.

This is how you use it to get the best feal.

You could feel it nicely when the tap started to bottom

And all the holes were nice and square you can see that her

I enjoyed that little job.  :D  :)

OK what next

:proj:

Cheers
Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

That "feel" is quite something isn't it Stew.... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »
Well now it looks like Stew is one happy camper with that bit of kit. I would be to.

Stew you are showing how a true Madmodder makes things from other things.  :thumbup:

I need to be making one for myself one of these days. I already have the ali table for it. All I need are a couple of bars of steel and a few more bits of ali block and I'll be all set. Oh, did I mention I need some time too! :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:40:23 AM »

Oh, did I mention I need some time too! :)

Bernd

Now that would be a Project

A TIME MACHINE

:jaw: :bugeye:

Stew

:lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:17 AM »
Now that's a base!!! :jaw:

Tapping stand £1.... hernia free!!!  :lol:

I like that Stew..... It will help me get my ass into gear and repair the wobbly one I purchased last year at Ascot (The company would have exchanged the wobbly bar/chuck assy..... But I was

1/ Too lazy/absent minded to send it back
2/ not wanting to spend the postage!
3/ figured it would be easy to fix...... Just havent gotten roundtoit yet!!  ::)

Very nice piece of kit you built  :thumbup:   (it'll outlast the cockroaches!!  :lol: )

Ralph.

P.S. what's the extra bit allen bolted to the cube front face??
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:01:02 AM »

Tapping stand £1.... hernia free!!!  :lol:

P.S. what's the extra bit allen bolted to the cube front face??

Not quite hernia free that cubes quite a chunk of steel, I think the bit bolted to the front was some sort of register for another bit to be assembled to it, it wasn't doing any arm so I just left it in place.

When I saw them I thought I'd be cheeky and ask for one (don't ask don't get) I thought the chap would be a bit reluctant, but no he just said help yourself:- I suspect the nice order I'd just given him helped  :D

Cheers

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
Another nice one Stew!  :clap:

Very well done......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline websterz

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
What is it you chaps say across the pond...looks like it "works a treat"? Anyway...darn fine looking rig! :bow:

I have a piece of 8" diameter 303 stainless round about 3 inches thick (no, no typos there!) that I got on my former job. I faced it off on both sides before I brought it home thinking it would make a nice makeshift surface plate. That sucker weighs every bit of 50 pounds!! I have a plate now and was looking for a project to use it. I am going to build a tapping stand. As luck would have it I have a nice 3/8" Jacobs chuck I am not using at the moment and a new batch of 1/2" drill rod just came in today. You guys are running me ragged trying to keep up. I haven't had this much fun in I can't remember when!!

:proj:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
W,

Unlike tooling you see on other sites, the ones being made on here are tools that are regularly used, and usually within the capabilities of most to make. There are a few tools that I just couldn't live without, and one is my tapping stand.

Not only is it giving more accurately tapped holes, but the cost of making is recouped in no time due to less or no tap breakages.

This one should be the top of your list.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 07:21:35 PM »
Well said John,

I'm making what I feel I need, not purely to show off to be stuck away in the drawer for ever and a day..... :dremel:

Offline mzt

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:11 AM »
Stew,

that knurled collar close to the chuck is the solution to a coupla problems with my tapping stand.
Thank You

Marcello

Offline Topos

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
A most wonderful construction, presentation, and inspirational topic.

Congratulations.

Because of this I  am going to make my own.
When I graduated college in 1959 the machinists in the college
shop I had worked in when not studying ... could earn the tuition of
$350.00 per semester :) ... gave me a present that I have cherished
for over 53 years: a 6" diameter x 6" rod of brass.

As the crusty old magnificent B@$%@%&s said when they presented it to me:
"Good thing you got your degree, you were useless here, so here is a plaque to
remember us by ... and you can use it to weight lift" ... and they burst out laughing,
hurling at me as I departed the famous Middle English, contortionist advocacy, expression so freely used in every situation, context,
dropped tool, missing part, etc. situation in the machine shop.

I shall finally put it to good use as my base for a tapping stand, still remembering and honoring them after
lo these many years that have passed.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
HI a job well dun