Author Topic: drill bit restor  (Read 8376 times)

Offline krv3000

drill bit restor
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
HI all this is a bit of every think in one Went to the boot sale today and i got 4 No1 Morse taper drills one rusty one not to bad and two broken all for the grand sum of £1 they are all inch but will be converted to MM when dun the first thing was to give the rusty one a gowning over with a rotary wire brush then with the other one palest in a tub then sum acid put in and just let them soke right sum pics

Offline krv3000

Re: drill bit restor
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
the next thing is to remove the broken drills from the other two one is 5/32 this will become 4 MM the other is 15/64 this will become 6.3 MM right don't no if you all now this but most drill bits of this sises are silver soldered in to the taper so to remove just heat up and remove  once the tapers are cool have a look at them you may have to drill them out to fit the drill you won't or in my case see Wat drill fitted in the hole what i have dun in the past is to step drill the hole too keep the drill on center so for example you is fitting a 6mm drill set it up drill 5.8 by say 20mm deep then ream to 6mm then drill 6.2 by 10 deep then counter sink the top while still set up get the drill and press fit in to the taper then its all set to solder  right back to mine i then cleaned the bottom of the new drill to go in i then placed a small Peace of silver solder in the hole then added sum flux then just soldered the new drill bit in once botho of them had cooled dawn i then put them in the same tub as the others to remove the flux residue

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »
last bit after sum time i drained off the acid the acid is out of a old car battery then i gave them a good scrub under the tap to remove all the acid then dried them off with the blow torch just get them wame not to hot  then let cool then gave them a gowning over with the wire brush the rusty one i gave the drill bit a coting of rust inhibitor the others got a coting of light oil  hay presto 4 new drills last pics

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
Nice one, thanks for showing that Bob; I had no idea the smaller drills were likely to be silver soldered into the tapers... I will take another look at some of the more knackered looking items at my local 2nd hand tool shop.  :thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
hi yep even if you can not see the solder and their cheep have a go if all ales false you can drill them out just cut the drill say 4 mm from the taper then set it up in the lathe to dress off and re drill     don't tell me wher the shop is i will beet you ther

Offline MadNick

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
Very nicely done :)

Nick

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:36 AM »
Nice one Bob  :thumbup:

Good to see old tools being brought back to life  :dremel:

Rob

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »
Bob,

Sure do look good now  :thumbup: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
I learn something new every time I read this forum, I thought they were made from one piece, thanks for sharing.

John

Offline Topos

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »
Being an errant coward with respect to sulfuric acid from a battery I have relied
on the great idea that is known on various sites:
White Vinegar.

I tested it with around a dozen old drills I found  in my house and stored out of nostalgia when I
moved in 41 years ago. They belonged to the original owner who built
the house in 1918 and was a renowned wood carver in the US.

I got a plastic pail and submerged them in the vinegar. The next morning all the rust
had been displaced. I then washed with baking soda and water after which I oiled them.

Having never been successful in sharpening drill bits on my bench grinder I took a chance
of ordering Drill-Doctor. Miraculously from my first try, and reluctantly doing what any red blooded
male never does freely, I followed their instruction DVD and each antiquated drill was sharpened.

I then took a coated metal drill that I had dulled on SS and again success.

Returning to the acid, since I used to develop films and prints I have a gallon of Glacial Acetic
acid for stop baths. I mix 10cc Glacial TO  a liter of water [NOTE: never add the water to the acid if you
value your eyes! Acid slowly poured to the liter of water.]  to get the rust removing  results.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
KRV

Nice job mate. I too never knew they were soldered in. Knock me down with a feather.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
I'm liking this one a lot Bob  :clap:

I have a couple of old ones knocking about from old bulk e-blag purchases from when I started buying "budget" tooling in the early days of my machining hobby.

Going to be fighting people off at car booties now too  :wack:   :lol:

Great thread  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!