Author Topic: Need ½” x 24 tpi jam nuts  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Need ½” x 24 tpi jam nuts
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
 I have acquired a Delta Homecraft Bench grinding/buffing arbor I'm cleaning up to use. It has 1/2” x 24 tpi threads. The arbor came with only 1 ea. RH and LH nuts. I have searched Fastenall, but they don't list them. Original part #s are SBG-8 for RH and SBG-9 for left hand.
Anyone have a source for spares? Or maybe a tap to make them. I can thread on my mini-lathe but would prefer to buy ready made.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Need ½” x 24 tpi jam nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
Chuck -- 1/2-24 is a UNS thread series.  1/2-28 is the UNEF (which would be available from more specialized distributors).  Unless a Delta distributor has some parts still in stock, I am afraid it is time to set-up the internal thread cutter...

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
That's what I figured Lew. I cross posted this to a few other forums I read and had a suggestion that one each nut is sufficient to hold stones, mops, wirewheels, etc. What do you think?
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
The answer is, as always, it depends...

A single nut is fine so long as (A) it is oriented such that work tightens it, and (B) that the rotational inertia (usually when stopping) is insufficient to loosen the nut.  That's a bet I rarely take when I design machine tools!  My personal preference when there is space is to make a slitted nut with a clamp-action screw.  That makes it a torque to load and tighten clamp-screw operation.  Jam nuts (with a washer in between the jam nut and the secondary nut) are my acceptable alternative choice.

The jam nut goes on the shaft first (after the interface packing and distribution washer).  A washer (about .010 inches smaller in diameter than the wrench flats) made from something like aluminum (which has a very high coefficient of friction when mated to steel) provides a good fit.  Then the full-size nut installed.  Both nuts should be properly torqued (though I admit that the calibrated wrist works pretty well once the feel has been established).

I honestly have no idea how many shaft systems I have designed for grinders, wire-brush machines, or buffing machines over the years.  I have never had a failure with either slitted/clamp-screw nut or jam nut/washer/nut assemblies using UNF threads.  While it is preferred practice to use LH threads for the clockwise rotation side of a mounting shaft, I have (due to schedule & available tooling) built my fair share of such shaft system using RH threads with slitted/clamp-screw nut or jam nut/washer/nut retention that have worked quite well.

Does that help?

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
That depends... LOL, Couldn't resist.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN