Author Topic: Colchester Bantam power feed clutch  (Read 7599 times)

Offline billthemill

Colchester Bantam power feed clutch
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
I'm hoping that some more experienced members can advise how to adjust the tension on the clutch that cuts the power feed on the Bantam.

The power feed works fine but on my lathe it builds up a terrific pressure against a stop before it finally kicks out.
I have seen it bend a 6mm rod jammed between the apron and the head and carry on!  :scratch:

The manual I know says that it's non adjustable but someone adjusted it on day one so there's got to be a way!  That's what Madmodders do!!!!
I'm slow to dismantle the carriage and apron without some guidance. I have a copy of the original manual including the parts diagrams. It's good to show the parts but useless on how the clutch actually works.
I'm hoping that maybe somebody out there has been down this road before and could maybe explain how the clutch works and how to get in at the relevant bits.

Any advice much appreciated.
You're never too late to have a happy childhood.......;-)

Offline djc

Re: Colchester Bantam power feed clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
No direct advice, but do consider joining the Colchester Yahoo group where there are lots of knowledgeable people. Be aware that the group is moderated so it takes a long time between posting and it appearing and similarly for replies.

The feed clutch works by having a keyed worm on the feed rod. This has springs either end of it. As the carriage hits the stop, the worm tries to keep moving towards (or away) the headstock, compressing the spring and activating the trip mechanism. There could be problems anywhere in the process. Dismantle everything, check it is all clean and lubricated and there are no burrs or wear where there shouldn't be. Make sure anything that should move does and anything that shouldn't doesn't.

Offline billthemill

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
Thanks DJC for your info. Just what I needed!

I have had a look at the exploded parts diagram and it's making a bit of sense now.
Something must be really seized up in some way in there.
I have got everything else working well on it so I'm keen to sort this problem out too.

It looks like the whole apron has to come apart to get at the clutch as there does not appear to be any access to the worm / springs etc from the outside. I wonder is there anything that I can inadvertently muck up in there?

Better clear a space on the bench then so!!!!

John

Offline billthemill

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
 :update:       :D

Since first posting the query I have found the info I was looking for thanks to the kind people at Clausings. Many thanks to them for their help which was offered immediately.

The info I have gives, step by step,  how to dismantle and adjust the automatic powerfeed clutch on the Colchester Bantam.
Yes it appears it can be done! :ddb:    You have to do a bit of dismantling but the steps are outlined clearly.
There is also advice on other maintenance jobs on the gearbox, apron, cross-slide and top-slide and gib-strip setup, etc etc,  with diagrams.

I searched long and hard for the above and there may be others who have the same problems with their lathe. (djc, It was just as you described, but the step by step info will make it less likely I will wreck anything!! :beer:)

I would be glad to share the info if anyone needed it. Just let me know! It is in PDF form.

BTW I tried to join the Colchester Owners group on Yahoo but it would be easier to get into Fort Knox! Just couldn't make it work. Has anyone had similar experience?

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
John PM Sent.

Regards John (another one)

Offline WCD

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
:update:       :D

I would be glad to share the info if anyone needed it. Just let me know! It is in PDF form.

Hi,
My first post here.   
With a bit of luck you will see this, and I hope you will be able to send me the pdf file on feed clutch adjustment, which I think will work for my Chipmaster.   I have the apron apart for cleaning and can see how the clutch works, but I suspect it was far too tight when I got the lathe (not running)  because on dismantling I found the adjustments screwed up to max tension.   It's not clear how to re-set it to a sensible tripping force, and also a  b nuisance to pull the whole apron down again if the initial setting is too loose.
Thanks,
Bill

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:25:06 AM »
There was a story on Model Engineers' Workshop #187 pages 54-57 Colshester bantam fine feed clutch. The writer pretty much found out a lot of material, took apron appart and cleaned/polished parts to get it workking safely.

PekkaNF