Author Topic: A simple project to ease myself back into the hobby!  (Read 6653 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
A simple project to ease myself back into the hobby!
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
You guessed it, it was another oscillating engine. This time, it was designed using a free 3D CAD package for the PC.

As I said, I thought I'd better start off small scale and simple to ease me back into the hobby as I hadn't touched the machines in about 8-9 years.

This was done in January 2007 using my old lathe and milling machine though and I really struggled with those machines. It was an old portass lathe and a dore-westbury milling machine that someone had made. I guess with some quality time and care spent on the machines they could have been very good, but I was too impatient for that, I wanted to make models, not mess around with machine tools.

Nevertheless, the engine came out well, apart from some of the surface finishing. I made a glaring error in the design stage that means when the crank is at 90 deg, the cylinder uncovers part of the port, letting air escape! This doesn't affect how the engine runs, but it's very wasteful! This can be rectified by using slightly larger stock for the cylinder.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: A simple project to ease myself back into the hobby!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34:53 PM »
Nice one Nick. What CAD package did you use?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
Hi Eric, I used Alibre Design, the limiting factors with the free version are that it doesn't allow sectioning and assemblies are limited to 10 parts or so. However, it's good for very small projects and the package is very easy to use overall.

Nick

ps here is a video of the engine running off a mig welding co2 bottle!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
Hi Eric, I used Alibre Design, the limiting factors with the free version are that it doesn't allow sectioning and assemblies are limited to 10 parts or so. However, it's good for very small projects and the package is very easy to use overall.

Thought it looked familiar. I use Alibre as well.

Eric

Science is fun.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »
What do you think of it? Do you have the full or just the free version? I would consider buying it but if I'm really that bothered I have access to Unigraphics at work! I think alibre is much more user friendly than UG though.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
What do you think of it? Do you have the full or just the free version? I would consider buying it but if I'm really that bothered I have access to Unigraphics at work! I think alibre is much more user friendly than UG though.

I have the Pro Version. I wanted access to the parts library and the tutorial vids. I am able to do some cool things with it, though I am still learning. I can't draw worth a damn so CoC doesn't work for me either.  :lol:

samples of when i first started:

I think it is a great tool. The free version hooked me.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »
Eric,

They are impressive, I think it's a great programme too,  it offers the main things leading CAD packages do for far less money!

Nick