Author Topic: Building a 3D Printer, RepRap Mendel Prusa2 by craynerd  (Read 53355 times)

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
Re: Building a 3D Printer, RepRap Mendel Prusa2 by craynerd
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
Realised after I had sent the message the kit I was thinking of was a laser cutter wasn't it ?
Yes it was, that kit went well and is still working  :thumbup:
Jason

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
Hi guys, I've been thinking about the carbon fiber print-plate idea and started wondering about G-10 Garolite (think old circuit boards).  It's rated at 265F (130C) and about a 10th the price of carbon fiber.  Anyone have any experience with it?

Cheers

Jeff

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
is that the same as Paxolin ?

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
Peter, I think it's the same general type of stuff as Paxolin, but Tufnol might be a closer British equivalent. Tufnol comes in various grades as resin-bonded paper, cloth or glass fibre. I don't know if Garolite comes in these different varieties.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
I think it's same stuff, also heard it called reinforced bakelite.  Several different varieties (paper, cloth, etc.), it all gets a bit confusing after a while.   :scratch:   From the very little experience I've had with it it seems like it should resist warping under the heated bed.  At $25 for a foot square sheet of 1/4" I may just give it a try when I move to a heated bed.

Cheers

Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
Jeff, would certainly be worth doing, although in comparison, how much is carbon fibre 2mm sheet?

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
 :offtopic: I just got mine working this evening  :ddb: must remember to print spare parts as soon as possible
Jason

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
Hi Chris, McMaster-Carr doesn't list metric thicknesses but 1/16" (1.58mm) is $57 and 1/8" (3mm) is $95 a sheet.  If I drop the thickness from 1/4" (6mm) to 1/8" (3mm) the Garolite price drops to $15.50.  Do you think 2 or 3mm would be thick enough?

Cheers

Jeff

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
:offtopic: I just got mine working this evening  :ddb: must remember to print spare parts as soon as possible

Nice, now the fun begins!  :headbang:

Cheers

Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 04:39:16 AM »
Only my opinion, but I think 3mm would be well thick enough. As long as it is rigid, it isn`t under any force! The heat beds weight is next to nothing and it is only function is supporting the heatbed and I suppose having the linear bearing holders screwed to it to run on the rods.  I`d go as far to say that the thinner you can get away with the better - lower weight = faster acceleration for the bed.
I saw a MendelMax with a thin aluminium bed and that was far too heavy. 3mm carbon fibre could be a good one for sure!

J45on - not off topic at all!! Nice one. What is your hotend wrapped in?

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
Chris - My thought was that the 6mm might resist warping better, but I tend to way over engineer things. :loco:  I think when the time comes I'll try the 3mm.  Thanks.  :thumbup:

Jason - Just received my hot end kit from MakerGear this AM and it uses the same insulation.  I think you're right that it's pyrojacket.  Funky feeling stuff, described in the parts list as 'rubber coated fiberglass insulation'.

Well I have all the parts now, just need to finish 'some assembly required'.  :D

Cheers

Jeff

Offline Monkey with a mill

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
Greetings. I have been along time visitor and just now registered. I have a question about the ramps 1.4. I am building a reprap as well, and am using the same electronic package as you. When I turned it on however, the z axes dos not work properly. With 1 stepper motor attached, the motor will rotate when prompted to by pronterface, however with two z axes stepper motors applied , they will not rotate, instead there is some chatter, and finally they stop responding and the system must be reset to get them to work. The steppers are not physically attached to the threaded rods, so it is not mechanical binding. This only occurs on the z axes. Have you experienced anything like this and have any advice?

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:08 AM »
Greetings. I have been along time visitor and just now registered. I have a question about the ramps 1.4. I am building a reprap as well, and am using the same electronic package as you. When I turned it on however, the z axes dos not work properly. With 1 stepper motor attached, the motor will rotate when prompted to by pronterface, however with two z axes stepper motors applied , they will not rotate, instead there is some chatter, and finally they stop responding and the system must be reset to get them to work. The steppers are not physically attached to the threaded rods, so it is not mechanical binding. This only occurs on the z axes. Have you experienced anything like this and have any advice?
Welcome btw
Not speaking with any authority but it sounds like you may have the motors working against each other.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:16:02 AM by shipto »
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the trim pot on the z-axis board?  Sounds like you just need a little more juice.

And welcome to MM!  :wave:

Cheers

Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
Hello, just returned from a weeks holiday today so sorry for the delay but jgroom certainly has my +1 for the problem. Seems to me like the trimmer on the pololu driver needs setting...

Have you tried to increase the current to the motor coils using the trimmer (little black thing bottom of the above picture) If not, be very careful with it, if you wack it up too much it`ll toast the driver. AND it is STUPIDLY sensitive. Turn it all the way anticlockwise and then slowly slowly turn in back around until both motors move comfortably. To set your other motor currents, push against the axis and you have the current right when you can`t quite stop the motors with your hands. I`ve tried to do the calculations and set it using the little voltage reference point but the method above works out better and is 100% easier.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline krv3000

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
its all cuming a long nice

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the continued thoughts but my wife wanted to kit out the room for a second child which is on the way... and with the porch build and recently knocking out the fire place, we were running out of money and there was only one option.... I think you will figure out the ending

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the continued thoughts but my wife wanted to kit out the room for a second child which is on the way... and with the porch build and recently knocking out the fire place, we were running out of money and there was only one option.... I think you will figure out the ending

nooooooo.... Say it isn't so???
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »

Chris

I hope that this doesn't mean your going to take up basket weaving. First cancelling you daughters car now this. Time to put you foot down.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Don, no time for basket weaving. According to my wife, my current hobbies consist of porch building, fire place modifications,  painting and decorating and general home maintenance. To be honest, I have enjoyed painting our babies room blue - I`m a having a son!!  :) :D

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
Don, no time for basket weaving. According to my wife, my current hobbies consist of porch building, fire place modifications,  painting and decorating and general home maintenance. To be honest, I have enjoyed painting our babies room blue - I`m a having a son!!  :) :D

Chris

Congratulations on the son. Now all the more reason not to give up any workshop toys or space. Your going to need them all in the future to help educate that wee lad.
 :D :D :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
Yep, my daughter loves it already. She is only 3 so really she doesn`t understand what the lathe or mill does. Her favourate machine is the CNC machine. She loves me writing her name on the computer and then pressing a button and the machine cutting her name into an off cut of wood. She calls it a present making machine as it makes her little name presents! You know what, I`m chuffed to bits I`m having a son as although I`ll try not to be a pushy parent, I`ve always dreamed he would be interested in football (soccer) and machining... but that said, I`m just a keen for my daughter to show interest if she is willing. Thanks for the congrats Don.
Chris

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I will 2nd that congratulations Chris!

Having a son is cool (I imagine so is a daughter, but I don't have one). My youngest loves the CNC as well. He calls it the "robot"

I have an idea for Christmas presents for the kids (mine, nieces and nephews) that I will share with you later. I think you would get a kick out of it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.