Author Topic: Kennet Tool and Cutter grinder  (Read 34731 times)

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Kennet Tool and Cutter grinder
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
7th Cavalry-- and all that!

So now you want to do the fab-ing of angles cut out of plywood or even a plastic tray from MacDoo-dahs for your varigated (t) angles- instead of pee-ring under to see where you got :lol:

'Bin there-- and so have an army including Slattery's Mounted Foot :beer:

As for the whole panjandrum moving - nothing really bright to suggest as the last BIG anchor was lost at sea.

Big Question---------------------------ARE Finally winning??????????? :hammer:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
It feels like a small victory...cheers!

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Afternoon!

A quick update. As you may remember the Kennet didnt come with an attachment for grinding end mills so Ive been busy making one.

After reviewing some excellent reference material supplied by Normo Tebbs and Miner I came up with the following -

In pieces -

And then...

This has some repeatability as once the tool holder can simply be removed and turned through 90 degrees to grind the other faces.

Yet to actually be tried out I have a couple of adjustments to make. I need to set up a pointer for the angle (although not strictly speaking absolutely necessary at the moment), work out some kind of setting block to get the faces parallel to the grinding wheel and also work on a more secure way of retaining the holder in the cradle as there is some slight movement.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
Apart from the delightful reference to the other Norm, all is well.
You must realise that he has considerably less hair despite being my junior.
So Kennet's? I like the end mill holder and approve of how it has been fabricated after a rather nasty blow up of the other tool holder. Norman and I had much more serious blows up but how did you know?
So, I look forward to seeing what your Kennet can do. Hurry up- I'm beginning to lose my hair as well and this imminent 82 years is not quite as thrilling as 28 was :doh:

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Cheers Norman,

Ive been reading up on the angles that need to be ground on an end mill. Ive got a few blunt ones here I can practice on.

Will keep you posted :)

N.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Nick,

Nice job, well done  :thumbup: :clap:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline MadNick

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
As Rod The Mod once sang 'the first cut is the deepest' - well it certainly was in this case!

I took a bit too much off on the first attempt, you can just see on this photo where the centre of the end mill has been ground.

A quick test cut and it was quite clear from the pattern that a lot of rubbing was happening.

But, its certainly a good start and I never expected it to get it right first time, so, progress...of a kind!

Nick

Offline philf

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:23 AM »
Nick,

Good progress. If you're seeing rubbing - don't forget that the end cutting faces shouldn't be at right angles to the shank of the cutter - they should angle inwards slightly - about 1 degree from memory but I'm sure someone will know.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
Agreed Phil but the Kennet is a pretty basic beast and 'dishing' the 1-2 degrees is not quite so straightforward as on our Quorns. My own experience using my Kennet suggests  leaving such matters until more overall experience is gained. Nick has yet to grind a lathe tool and I have been trying to keep things simple- for the present.

We've already been 'cutting corners'( pun intended) by him using a 6" DE grinder rather than the  correcting a high speed spindle that isn't quite 'comme il faut' on a somewhat well worn lathe.

In all, he's done remarkable things - broken tool holders, missing bits and only an old fart('nuff said')

Offline MadNick

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
Thanks Phil,

I had read up on the required angles from the Workshop Series and thus set a 1 degree concave angle into the end mill so im confident that my angles are good.

One of the faces did have a lump taken out of it and as I progressively sharpened each face in turn, this was the one that needed a bit more taken off than the rest so the end mill really was near the end of its usable life.

In all, he's done remarkable things - broken tool holders, missing bits and only an old fart('nuff said')

Thats only through plenty of your patient, expert advice and my own dogged determination :)

Theres a looong way to go yet but at least its usable.

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Afternoon :)

For anyone that is still following my thread ;) this afternoon I finished off re-making the table support clamp as the one that came with the Kennet was shocking with twisted threads and poor fit. I came up with the following -

I also made a rough and ready stop bar out of a square of ali I had knocking around and a ground bar from an old printer -

Thats going to be it for a while. I still need to make a couple of holder for the smaller shank end mills but really want to get cracking on my wire bender so I can make a sissy bar/fender stay for the chopper.

Nick