Author Topic: Modifications to a WH14 Mill  (Read 4507 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Modifications to a WH14 Mill
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:07 AM »
 I Am Getting sick of my mill overheating when used for even short periods of time on full speed 2200rpm, after five Min with a 3mm cutter and I can smell rubber burning, I have come to the conclusion that the gear train uses to much of the 500w motors power. the mill head is the same as the Grizzley 0704 mill except mine has a 100 or two hundred watts less power. they also suffer the same problem, in fact Grizzley have even started to put labels on them as far as I can see.
I cannot understand why firms would advertise the speed and then tell you not to use it the uk supplier didn't think anybody would use it at full speed but as I only do small parts and only use brass and ally plus some plastics with a max cutter size of about 6 mm. the X and Y tables are great so s the Z .

I have found after about a few hours use that the spindle bearings are going and so it is not through tight bearings so i am replacing them with some SKF ones at the same time I am going belt drive and change the spindle from MT2 to R8 bits on order.
so if anybody has tackled a belt drive or seen one any help would help me greatly
Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline 75Plus

Re: Modifications to a WH14 Mill
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
Have you looked at this site? In the past you could view these video's on line. I see that that no longer happens.

http://g0704.com/belt_drive_dvdrom.html

Joe

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
Peter,

the uk supplier didn't think anybody would use it at full speed
Peter

What a load of crock, - "didn't think",  Well Peter they don't have to think now, you have told them. So what are they going to do replace it (the motor) with one that is suitable and will run the mill to their specifications.  :poke:

That web site Joe posted looks good  :thumbup:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
thank you for the site Joe , I has seen it and he has some nice stuff on it but I don't fancy paying $45 just to be told how to fix a pulley on top of a spindle , there must be other people who have attempted the mod.
Dave, I don't know what they are going to offer I am disappointed it is now two weeks and they still have not come back even after a second call, I think I may have to go down other routes to sort it out.

Peter

Offline velocette

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
Hi HS93 I have done a very successful belt drive conversion on a X2  Mill Drill Using "Poly VEE Belts" on aluminum pulleys.

Using the original motor and controller 4 rib belts are adequate. with the more powerful motor you may need to use a 6 rib belt

You can find my posting at

MadModder »
Gallery, Projects and General »
Gallery »
Alternative Belt Drive X2 Mill Drill

You may find that a couple of replies are of interest to you.

Fitting a belt drive Go for it you will find lots of satisfaction and do your ears a favour as well

Eric

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Thanks velocette, I fitted a belt drive on my X1 mill when I had it and yes it makes a fantastic difference, I have a spare X2 kit at home and looked at that to see how it would fit , the problem is the WM 14 has a moving Quill and that is what makes it harder as there is not a lot to fit a pulley on so this is where the problem lies, Ta  for the input
Peter

Offline velocette

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
Hi Peter

Found this while surfing the interweb  may be of interest to you and others.

http://www.homemachineshop.co.nz/

Not particularly the motor and controller but the photo at the bottom of the page of the "Belt Drive".

Eric