Author Topic: Ruger 10/22  (Read 12265 times)

Offline Scuba1

Ruger 10/22
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
Just out of interest, do any of you mad modders have a Ruger 10/22 . I think its the perfect little rifle for us Mad Modders and just brings out the  :proj: in me.
So many things to fiddle with and modify its great.

Offline Steamer5

Re: Ruger 10/22
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:46 AM »
Hi Scuba,
 Had one. Sold it back in the early 80's used the money to by the plans for a lathe. Its still on the to do list

Cheers Kerrin

Cheers

Kerrin

Offline Bluechips

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
I picked a nasty looking junker at a local pawn shop recently just to get the basic action.

I changed the stock for a synthetic thumbhole unit that free floats the barrel.  I also took the trigger group apart and installed an over-travel stop on the trigger.  I topped it off with a Sweet 22 scope by BSA and took it to the range.

Off the bench, the ratty looking original barrel shoots way better than I can off hand.  It wll hold 2-2.5" groups at 100 yards and they go around 1" at 50 on a calm day with cheap bulk ammo.  I won the rifle portion of a local Ruger Rimfire type match with it.  The course of fire was 8" steel plates at 50 yards off hand.  I was planning to change the barrel, but with results like that, I probably won't right now!

Overall it was a quick, fun and fairly inexpensive project.

Mike

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
I had a fully Stainless Steel one, barrel and all ... with a folding stock .... I thought it was a brilliant little thing to use, very light to carry about and fairly accurate too.

But the UK went a funny way and I gave it all up ... constantly being hassled by the police and being woken up in the early hours just wasn't funny when it was repetitive .... I'd done nothing wrong, it's just the attitude here towards gun ownership.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »
Well, i have one. It's a 10/22 T for target modified by me. I have added new stop pin, different mag latch, new firing pin, all new trigger mechanism and trigger etc. etc.
Most of the new parts are from the Volquartsen titanium range. I use an A-tec modular silencer. The stock is more or less a very old nasty one which i've modified myself and it includes a McGee adjustable buttstock: http://www.mcgeestocks.com/hardware.html and a home made kydex cheek raiser and Picatinny rail on forend for accessories. Very happy with it as it is now, although i think i will need to build a new stock from scratch at some point.

Here's a couple pic's:

With smallest silencer, Harris bipod and 25 shot butler creek mag:

and with the silencer with all moodules:

Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:55 AM »
Did have the stainless and sythetic for a short time, then flogged it on.

What you want is the Butler Creek mags, takes ten times longer to load than to blat off assuming no jamming.

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Mine started with a Adams & Bennet full .900 x 18" stainless barrel.  Ground the bolt face for headspace of .043".  Ground, reshaped and polished firing pin.  Polished and jeweled bolt.  Replaced extractor, one ground to shape not punched.  Volquartsen trigger replacement kit.  Receiver drilled to allow cleaning from chamber end.  Hogue overmold stock.  Refaced and squared chamber end of barrel.  Mounted a weaver rimfire 2.5 x 7 x32mm scope.  Fired 5 shot groups with 17 brands/types of ammo from benchrest at 25 yards.  Most all shot resonably well with the best group being slightly under .300".  Not benchrest but makes a hell'uva rat gun.
Russ

Offline GerryB

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
G.Day Each,
Please forgive me if i have inadvertently butted in to a 10/22 Rifle issue.
But out here in Aus. the general public are not allowed semi auto long arms.
But we can have semi auto pistols.
I was in my local gun shop just nosing around and came across a strange looking pistol in a glass case at the corner of the shop.
I asked the dealer if i could inspect it and was delighted with the item that i said i would purchase it
He promptly replaced the pistol back in the glass cabinet, went out the back and came back with a large box.
Now i was under the impression that the pistol that was in the glass cabinet was second hand as the price on the ticket was only $460but to my astonishment was the price of a new item.
The pistol is a Ruger Charger which for another word is a cut down 10/22 rifle.
The action and magazine are identical and from what i have been told are interchangeable.
I was delighted with its performance,very accurate very reliable.
Of all the pistols i have used and own this is the most rewarding unit i have ever fired,and so cheap.
The only fault i had was an annoying issue with the magazine release/hold open device that for some reason malfunctioned sometimes.
I purchased a modification unit that proved to be a small steel plate that when changed over with a similar unit in the trigger mechanism did the job,no problems since.
I am in the throws of deciding on a mod for the trigger.
There are quite a number of mods advertised by US dealers but have to careful what i order due to customs regulations.
I would prefer to make my own if possible.
Does anyone have any information on a suitable mod ?
GerryB   

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »
GerryB
As you have already sorted out the anoying bolt release issue. You could cary on replacing the bolt stop pin with one made out of ptfe instead of the steel one that it has in it now. Drill the trigger and put a set screw in it to adjust the trigger overtravel. Radius the bolt and polish the areas where it slides in the action and do the same thing with the bits in the action that contact the bolt. Drill the back of the action, so you can clean the barrel from the rear end. You don't have to buy any parts for these mods and they will improve your pistol quite a bit.

ATB

Michael

Offline GerryB

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »
G.Day Michael,
Thank you for the information.
I understand the trigger stop issue but would it not be easier if the stop screw was inserted in the back of the Trigger Guard and not in the actual Trigger.?
Please forgive my ignorance but when you say 'Radius the Bolt' what Bolt? and to what diameter ?
The action has a Breach Block and Cocking Leaver,do you mean these?
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Gerry

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
Have a look here

&feature=related

There are loads of tube links showing things better then I could ever explain on here.

Have fun

Michael

Offline GerryB

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
Thanks Michael,
Plenty of information.
I now have some jobs to do.
GerryB

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
The trigger job is worth taking time over and will improve the gun a lot. I have got the trigger on mine down to under one pound and with the set screw , there is next to no over travel. Polished the inside of the receiver and the surfaces of the bolt and made a nylon bolt stop. The bolt return plate mod is a must in my book. I have the take down version so don't have to drill a hole into the back of the receiver as the chamber comes off with the barrel for cleaning.
Just a word on the side, don't keep the barrel to clean on a .22 lr as most shoot better when they have a bit of a lead coating on them, so only clean it when the groups start to open up and after cleaning, put 50 or so rounds through it to re lead the barrel before expecting and tight groups on paper.

Have fun

Michael