Author Topic: Use of Cbee .22 cal ammo  (Read 14037 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Use of Cbee .22 cal ammo
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:27 AM »
Has any anyone on the forum, used the newer lower power/quiet ammo. Somebody was talking about them. And I was wondering about them and if there are much difference between brands as he is one of these brand specific type guys. Online isn't much better in the info as it seems to be about 50/50 on which ammo is better, that like Beer, women, Nascar, people have favorites and that is that.  :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Scuba1

Re: Use of Cbee .22 cal ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
It depends on what you want to use it for ... you will have to be a bit more speciffic in order to get some pointers. Its different if you just want to shoot sub sonic because
 of silencer use, close range animal dispatch for trapped critters, plinking ... hand gun or rifle ... semi auto or bolt action/ single shot etc. Give us a clue and then I can give you a pointer in the ( for me ) right direction.

ATB

Michael

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
PT -- The answer is, it depends.  (Betcha didn't see that coming from me, didya...)

There are a number of areas within the supply chain at which someone can reduce their mark-up and create cheep ammo from even the high end, match grade, ammo.  This rarely happens, but is has on occasion.

That said, the main cost in producing ammunition is blending & mixing (called agglomerating) and sizing the propellants for the load.  If this is done right, the main bad-nasties that eat away at your barrel are entrained such that, for the most part, they reach past the end of your barrel before precipitating out.  Many suppliers of cheap ammo are, shall we say, less than careful about such things.  The older the ammo is, the more likely it is to leave lye and/or nitric acid sitting in your barrel.  Really old cordite-based ammo can even explode (rather than deflaggerate -- what you really want your propellant to do) in your barrel and create a (shall we say) seriously unhealthy situation.  (This is rare, but it does happen upon occasion.)

Projectile speed is a function of: slug mass, length of the barrel, propellant load, and the gas generating capacity of the propellant (known as the pik factor).  Subsonic rounds do not create a sonic boom as they fly -- something desirable under certain circumstances...

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
There ye go, now you have two "it depends" answers, Ye can't get more precise then that now can  ye  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ATB

Michael

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »
As of a couple nights ago, a skunk strolled through the yard around dusk. I was thinking not to close varmint dispatch if they choose to get into the live trap (no more than 25/35 feet). As everybody that I have contacted agrees that it will spray. So Be prepared to make it assume yard temperature before dosing with tomato juice, hose off and bag and tag!
And some plinking at paper targets in the yard about the same distance. The trapper across the street said him and his kids almost adults, use them in the house for practice. No wife to complain any more.

It is a pre 1919 Savage model19 NRA match 22LR, a friends father used it for the ROTC at Harvard or Yale back in the early 1920's. Being in the city I don't need to add to the sounds of ware fare at night whether it is loud gun shots or the sound of the now legal anti tank, and bunker buster fireworks That are sold at the new fireworks superstore in the old large grocery store, around the corner and down the street.  :doh:  :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Back in the 60's RWS made an .22 Long Rifle indoor cartridge that had the bullet as a .22 short but the propellant was also the primer. The reason for it being a Long Rifle was to move the bullet forward in the chamber so as to prevent a residue buildup at the forcing cone. While RWS is still making ammunition I cannot find any listing for the Long Rifle Indoor. The closest I can find is what they call Z LANG which is their current low speed, low noise offering. 

The Long Rifle profile may be appropriate for the rifle you intend to use.

Joe 

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
If you don't want to get frustrated target shooting, I would stay away from the short ammo as it just does not match the head space in your rifle and the groups are not going to be all that good no matter how good your aim is. However for dispatching a skunk, they will do the job just fine. Also after you shoot shorts clean your barrel as they will leave lead residue in the chamber that is going to make the LR round stick.

ATB

Michael

Offline AR1911

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
I have shot quite a bit of those powderless .22s.
I have bought every kind I have run across trying to find the quietest.
Be aware that some have a little bit of powder to step up the velocity a bit.
The quietest I have found are the standard Aquila "sans poudre"
The loudest were Remington.
But for the most part I just use CCI CB caps. The shorts shoot as well as the longer ones, so I just use those. My Marline 39 holds 22 round  :thumbup:

They caution you not to use them in long-barrel guns, but I have had no problem with them.
The longer the barrel, the quieter they get. From a 24" barrel they are quieter than a springer airgun. You only hear 2 sounds - the firing snap, followed by the impact of the bullet. 
Kinda fun chasing tin cans across the back yard from a chair on the deck.
Fired from a small pistol they are almost as loud as a regular .22 from a rifle.
They are fairly accurate. I guess they would group around 1.5 inches at 25 yards, which is about the limit of their range.
Not much energy delivered. Anything more than a headshot on a squirrel is not recommended. They would probably dispatch a skunk at point-blank range. I have never shot any sort of animal with them.  IIRC they chrono at around 500 fps, with a 36-gr bullet.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
Thanks that what I was looking for, as my head was spinning with the great stuff then they are crap stuff! gives one a headache when the reviews are 50 for 50 against  :doh: I guess the CCI cbee's long rifles will do.  :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline AR1911

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

As CCIs were plentiful, I use those mostly. But when I see something I haven't tried, I'll pickup a box for comparison. 
The Aquila standards are maybe a little quieter, but less accurate, and not always available.

Offline GeorgeGreek

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »
Hi PT,

I am not unterested in .22s since illegal over here but how did you manage with "No wife to complain any more" ???

Any legally acceptable proposal will be appreciated.

George

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
Hi PT,

I am not unterested in .22s since illegal over here but how did you manage with "No wife to complain any more" ???

Any legally acceptable proposal will be appreciated.

George

Like I said in the original post, it isn't me. His common law wife died a long time ago.

The trapper across the street said him and his kids almost adults, use them in the house for practice. No wife to complain any more.
:thumbup:

Never had the interest or need to ask why she must have been a piece of work! Since the courts gave him custody of two non related children, instead of the biological fathers!
Her life appears to have been a reality show before such things were on the tube.  :clap:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »
I had a chance to fire off a couple of rounds of the 22CBee's, they are as advertised very quite. matter of fact they are quieter than the blank gun, the plastic snap caps that I used for the bang loads in clown props and magic tricks!  :clap: I think they will work when needed for raccoonzilla!  :borg:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »
You may want to try these as well
CCI 22 LR Quiet Ammo:75 percent reduction in perceived noise of standard velocity 22 LR Lead-round nose 710 FPS 40 grain
They will do the job on coon at close range as well.