The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Getting answers

(1/4) > >>

Bernd:

--- Quote ---There are some very good tips in the very early sections on HMEM. A lot of people just ask the same question over and over again, and don't bother to search thru the old files.
--- End quote ---

The above quote was made by Bogs. He made a simular statement on HMEM and I have to agree with him 100%. As a matter of fact he made a simular statement to me when I was looking for his 2 cylinder engine he had wrote  up on HMEM.

I present this as a fact finding expedition. I am as guilty as the next guy of not searching for an answer. Why is that? I atribute it to couple of things, laziness being at the top of the list, not knowing how to properly use a search engine.

I know I don't want to spend several hours trying to find if an answer has been posted to the question I'm about to ask. So it's just easier to ask the question. I've noticed this happening a lot on the other forum. As new members come in they seem to be asking the same questions that were asked a few months ago. You feel like saying "why don't you go search for the asnswer in the forum". Trouble is the next thing you have is a PO'ed memeber or newbie that now feels offended because he asked a legitimate question. The only solution I can come up with is "I saw that somewere in section __________ . If you do a quick search under ________ you may find it."

The second problem in looking for something is using a search engine. A good example was when I was looking for the picture Mainer had posted of his index mechanism. I did a search using the forums search engine. It keep coming up with not finding anything. I remembered Mainer had e-mailed me so I remember who had posted the picture. I did a search under Mainer and came up with the proper thread. It came up in a thread I hadn't even thought of looking in. Very frustrating. So if you don't know how to use a search engine properly it can be very frustrating to look for an answer. Again many hours wasted sometimes.
I'm also wondering how many newbies know that a search engine is incorporated into the forum itself? Plus a much more detailed one in the header of each section?

What's the answer to this question? I don't really know. That's why I put it up for disscusion. Perhaps some of us more educated in the use of a computer can come up with an answer.

Trouble is, when we weclome somebody new we tell them if they have any questions just ask, and then when they do, we want them to go look for the answer. :scratch:

Oh well, just my thoughts.  :coffee:

Bernd

cedge:
Since most know my thoughts on this one... I think I'll sit on the sidelines instead of doing the brick wall and head thing again.

Steve

bogstandard:
Bernd,

Normally I have the same stance as Steve, and try to do the legwork myself, and then give an answer.

But in this situation, I tried to give a bit of advice about doing a search, and have it thrown back at me.

From now on, I think I will just be quiet.

John

rleete:
Another forum I post on (Miata Turbo) has a very strict policy on this, and it is enforced ruthlessly.  There is an extensive reference section, along with recommendations for reading, all sorts of formulas, and suggested vendors for parts.  There is zero tolerance for asking the obvious, or something that has been discussed to death.  Unless you come up with a different spin on something, you are expected to search, and use that for the basis of any new posts.

We get a lot of youngsters coming on posting things like "i got miata i want to turbo and i got to no how much power i can get cheep and u guyz tell me".  Replete with spelling/punctuation/gramatical errors, L337 speak, and with no obvious search on their part.  They usually get flamed, and either learn to search, or are banned.  They probably ban well over half the people that sign up there.  Now, this may sound harsh, but it does make for a really good forum, focused on the technical aspects of turbos, and not all the silly bits.  Most of the long term members are mech engineers, and so the knowledge base is very good.  But, they also demand a reasonable attempt at spelling and grammar.  You want to play with the big boys, you have to meet their standards.

It seems obvious to me, that there are slightly different criteria here.  Sure, charts can be posted, and simple operations like facing and turning to size can be explained and saved in a reference section.  But search engines (both internal and external) aren't the best unless you know some of the tricks.  Personally, I try to read every single thread on a forum.  I may still ask a stupid question, but I think it helps cut down on the noise.  I really like reading hints that people post.  What may be obvious to an experienced machinist may not be to the novice.  You are dealing with skills instead of just parts, and that takes a little more hand-holding than a 'what to buy' type of forum.  "Do a search" may not be the politest thing to post, but it may be that sometimes it's the best way to approach it.  Those that are that easily offended need to learn that the internet is a great resource, but you have to do a little digging and not expect everyone to do your homework.

Also (and this is directed at people like Boggs), there are some whose posts are informative and clearly written.  Anyone spending the time to read here will quickly learn who knows what they are talking about, and pay attention when they post.  If they get a little tired of answering the same question multiple times, then maybe it is justified.  

cedge:
John
Agree..... it can become a judgment call. It's a whole different set of rules when the user bites after being helped. At that point I'm likely to bitch slap him and feel good about it.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version