Author Topic: Hemingway slow speed modification  (Read 4479 times)

Offline cjoscelyn

Hemingway slow speed modification
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
I have a 6X26 vertical miller, similar (I think) to the Myford VMC or Warco and have a question. Has anyone built and installed the slow speed, poly-vee modification sold by Hemingway?

Although I have mine set-up with a VFD the lower limit with good torque is about 150 rpm. This mod looks like it would even out the steps, dampen vibration as well as lower the speed range.

Offline Xldevil

Re: Hemingway slow speed modification
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »
Hello.
I can say,all Hemingway kits that I've build in the past have been of good quality and use.
Unfortunately I haven't build this particular kit so far,but having a 6x26 mill (chinese VMC)myself,your modification would be of great interest for me.
Cheers,Ralph

Offline cjoscelyn

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks for your input Ralph, I may have to give this kit a try. I'll post how it turns out.

Charlie

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »
Hi
Charlie
I have a 626 mill be interesting to see this mod :clap: :clap: :clap:
John

Offline dblunn

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »
Hi, I have bought the plans for this kit (I am in Australia so didn't get the full kit, Kirk is really helpful in this regard). I have a RF-31 mill drill so I bought the appropriate version but they seem to be aimed at the smaller RF-25 model as the dimensions were just too small. It is no problem though, as you can easily make adjustments to the dimensions but you would need to play around with belt lengths a bit. I don't know if there are variations in types of VMC clones out there so it may not be an issue with that flavour of the kit.
I have not built it yet, it is waiting under my bench along with my Quorn castings etc.
Dave

Offline cjoscelyn

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
Thanks for the input Dave. So it is possible to purchase just the plans from Hemingway?

Charlie