The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Need Advice on Pulse Width Modulator

(1/2) > >>

snub:
I bought a couple of different PWM's and am looking for advice on which one to use. Both were $11.00 (  shipping included! ). The first one is rated at 6 amps and the reason I like it is that it comes enclosed in a case with tabs for easy mounting. I opened the case so I could inspect the guts. Not much in there, and no heat sinks.

The other side:

The other one is rated at 10 amps and has 2 large heat sinks and a lot more 'components'...:

The motor I'm using only draws about 2 amps so either one would work.
I don't know a lot about electronics, but my gut instinct would be that the second one would be a better choice, just based on the fact it has 2 heat sinks and more 'stuff'. But, I could be wrong.

AussieJimG:
Try the first one first. If it lets out the electronic smoke, use the second one. Cost $11 to try it.

They are pretty efficient so they usually don't need much in the way of heatsinking. And 2A is not much.

FWIW

Jim

Swarfing:
I like the way how they have tried to disguise those 555 timer chips? would only cost about 50p to repair if they blew

John Swift:

Hi Snub

unless you need to fit it into a small space , I'd go for the 10A one

the motor may only take 2A when its working
but what does it take at switch on or if you stall the motor ?

John

picclock:
Hi Snub

It may be worth checking that the pwm's have a diode accross the motor for back emf protection. The motors are a purely inductive load at turn on and as the pulse is removed will ring up to a high voltage if no clamp diode is present, possibly causing output driver failure.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

picclock

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version