Author Topic: Anodizing with Weston Bye  (Read 7917 times)

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
Anodizing with Weston Bye
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
Some of you may have seen the kind offer Weston had made to me on this thread:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1529.0

After a few emails were exchanged we settled on last Saturday afternoon.  I took a friend (Will) of mine along. He is totally responsible for my welding and machining hobby and yes...my wife still allows him in the house :D. We showed up with my D1-4 Chuck Receiver and a aluminum rod to use to hold it with.  The first thing that needed to be done was figure total surface area, luckily for me (read math challenged) Will and Weston had that mater quickly taken care of.  With that knowledge it was determined that 3 – 9 volts would be needed and an hour of time in the acid bath.  Next the part got a bath with some dish soap followed by a good rising.  Then it was out to the garage to begin the anodizing process.

The first step was to give the part a quick dunk in a solution of distilled water and lye.

Then the aluminum rod I brought along was screwed into a hole I had taped in the part. This was so we could have a way to suspend it in the acid-distilled water solution.  Weston recommended a 50/50 mix and I would say he was spot on.  I think you will too when you see the end result and hear my discoveries once I got home, more on that later….

Weston used this electronic controller to keep the current at a steady voltage.

We let the part cook in this solution for an hour and every so often Weston would get up from his chair and stir the part almost like he was stirring a pot of his favorite chili.:))

After the hour was up Weston gave it quick dunk in some clean water and then right into a boiling pot of water….I didn’t know we were going to eat it.:)…Kinda reminded me of having a crab cook out.

Here is the part all ready to take home.  We didn't color it so this is the way aluminum with now coloring is.  I think it looked great and probably won't show scratches as much as black or another color might.  The whole process took about 2 hours but coloring would add another hour to it.

During the hour we had while the  part was in the acid bath.  I asked a lot of questions and we exchanged stories and laughed some.  Don’t worry we didn’t pick on anyone in particular.;)))…One of the things that gave us a good laugh at the end was his daughters reaction to the explanation I gave her on what we were up to.  You see, during that hour of visiting and laughs one of the things we discussed was the reaction we all often get when we explain to someone what we do as a hobby…or for that mater a living.  You know, “THE look” and the “Oh..that’s nice” kinda response.:)  Well exactly that happened when I explained to his daughter what her dad had done for me.  It was defiantly one of those moments and we had a good laugh with it.  My daughters and wife do the exactly same thing.  But you know…I would probably do the same thing when she shows me her knitting…or scapbooking….maybe I should try to change the way I respond??????

Well…back on topic now….
Once I got home I couldn’t wait to check the fit of the part and to some extent the durability of the coating.  Weston was a little concerned that the register would grow just enough to give me interference problems.  Well to my delight and I am sure Westons it didn’t seem to change a thing.  I still had a nice feel to the way the chuck comes up against the register and it pulls completely down on the face.  One thing about the D1- series mounts is the fact there is some twisting motion of the chuck to the mount before you lock the pins.  I did this just to see if I could mark up the part. Well sure enough, I couldn’t find witness marks left on the face of the receiver after doing so.  I had also bumped the pins when fumbling trying to set the chuck on the receiver and there weren’t any marks from that either.   There is no doubt that if the part is dropped the coating will be compromised but I think if I take the care with it that I do in handling my chucks (read never drop) then things should be ok.

Weston was a great host and I am looking forward to visiting more with him.  He is stopping by my place Thursday evening to pick up a little quick project I did for him.  A new post is coming about that project later this evening or tomorrow.

Weston thanks again and looking forward to seeing you.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:09:20 PM by deere_x475guy »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Anodizing with Weston Bye
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
Looks real nice there Bob.

I wouldn't mind giving anodizing a try. It would drive the guys in the street rod club nuts. Well actually it's a short putt with some of them.

And a very nice story telling your visit with Wes. I enjoy reading stuff like this. It's always fun to get together with somebody of like minds.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »
Good Job Bob

:thumbup:

That anodized finish looks great and as you say the harder skin will make the part more durable, enjoyed the thread.

Thanks for sharing

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »
Yes indeed, an anodizing party.  Who would have thought guys could have so much fun with lye and sulfuric acid.  A truly enjoyable afternoon exchanging stories and ideas while incidently anodizing a detail.  I will post a thread later about what I do with the project Bob is doing for me.

Wes
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:55:23 AM »
I'd love to try anodizing some time. I have the power supply.

When I'm better set up and have less other demanding jobs on the list I'll give it a go..... :ddb:

Nice looking job you've done there chaps.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:08:27 AM »
I'd love to have ago at some of this stuff but I'm just envious of the room.

Lets face it if you have the room to stand that glass jar I can get another mill in there   :thumbup:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:21:06 AM »
Regarding the room for anodizing:  Don't do it in your shop, or at least provide plenty of ventilation.  Fumes are generated that rust steel and though you can't smell them, you notice if you inhale them.  We had this party just inside the open garage doors and had a fan going.  The jar and power supply were placed on a roll-around cart.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:24:57 AM »
I'm glad you said that...!!!...... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
John we are very lucky to have the spaces we do here and am thankful to have it.  Thanks for the kind words everyone, I am glad I could share the story.