Author Topic: Cylinder lap? Hone?  (Read 3807 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Cylinder lap? Hone?
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
I've been working on an engine cylinder, 1" bore x almost 3" inside length.  The head is integral to the cylinder so is not removeable.  I thought I had the cylinder finished, but today measured a slight taper.  The bore on the head end of the cylinder was about .002" less than the outboard end. 

Not being very familiar with lapping and not having a hone of the right diameter, I came up with the following:

It's made from a length of brass pipe nipple and the last 1.25" is turned to a tad less than the cylinder diameter.  There is a slight reduction in diameter on the back end so only the last 1.25" does any work.  I then cut 4 slits in the tube and sprung the ends out so the end would bear against the cylinder.  I mounted the pipe in my lathe, smeared clover lapping compound into the cylinder and set to lapping the cylinder.  Since the pipe is sprung outward it exerts more pressure on the end than toward the middle.  Within just a few minutes of lapping, I was able to the get rid of the taper and achieve a very nice finish on the cylinder wall. 

Chuck

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Cylinder lap? Hone?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »
Great solution.

I have been trying to plan some lapping tools as I gear up to make some engines (after I finish the CNC ofc)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DavidBraley

• Fort Collins, Colorado
Re: Cylinder lap? Hone?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »
Now that was nicely done. It amazes me how you guys solve problems here. In the world I come from, I would just just walk up to a Sunnen Honing machine and...

But you guys do good work with MUCH less. I'm very impressed.

David B
-David

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.