Author Topic: drill sharpening from 1/2 in. on up  (Read 4948 times)

Offline jcs0001

drill sharpening from 1/2 in. on up
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
I have a drill doctor that will sharpen bits from about 1/8 or so up to 1/2 in.  Don't want to start a war here but I find it works fairly well. :D

However I have a number of bits that are larger than 1/2 in. (actually silver and demming up to 1 in.) and may look around this spring for a few larger ones if I can find them at garage sales etc.  The larger bits need sharpening - they aren't beat up just need an edge as they are making my machinery work too hard.

I have a copy of the swing type ones but it is only good for up to 1/2 in. or so.  It is has never been used and I have read a number of reviews on the net that are not complementary.  See it here:

I have a 6 in. bench grinder with a white Norton stone on one side and a grey (original) one on the other.  I'm not confident in sharpening these free hand and would appreciate pointers towards some kind of jig or other ideas.

Thanks,

John.

Offline 75Plus

Re: drill sharpening from 1/2 in. on up
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
John, I have been using that type sharpening tool, General Hardware # 825, since 1965. It has always did the job asked of it. I have never tried it on any drill larger than 1/2" but I believe you could replace the square stock that the feed screw rides on with a longer one to accommodate longer bits.  That might require elevating the tool or having the grinder near the edge of the bench to allow for the swing.

Joe

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
Joe and DaveH:

Thanks for the replies.  I did search but missed the jig you point out Dave.  That looks like it would work for me - simple and gives a good start to the correct angle before beginning the grinding.  Unless something else turns up I will likely give it a try.

John.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
What makes you not confident to sharpen them by hand? Over half an inch should be no problem with little chance of overheating or removing too much material quickly. After fussing about with the proper angles and funky jigs myself I ended up just finding it easier and more effective to sharpen the larger ones freehand.

Heres a vid by the other tubalcain on the topic.

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:29:53 AM »
02sheslop:

Thanks for the link to the utube video.  I took a look at it and it is certainly a good explanation of what needs to be done.

John.