Author Topic: Kennet Tool and Cutter grinder  (Read 34729 times)

Offline MadNick

Kennet Tool and Cutter grinder
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
Afternoon,

Im really pleased to post this up as my new thread - ive been looking for a cutter/grinder solution for a while now.

I picked this lot up yesterday after winning the auction on eBay.

Its an incomplete Kennet. I have yet to sit down properly and work out what is needed - thanks to Norman's help the task should be a bit easier. I also found a website where one was built from scratch so im not without support on this.

I cant see rapid progress being made but Ill keep you updated nonetheless.

Castings -

Other bits -

Motor (I bought this out of the local paper for £15 - 1/4hp, 1440 rpm)

Nick

Rob.Wilson

Re: Kennet Tool and Cutter grinder
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
Hi Nick

Looks like a great bye  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Dont forget to keep us updated with the build  :poke:

Rob

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks Nick- pleased to help!

The next question is a bit  odd- does anyone in the Newcastle upon Tyne area got the facility to copy my full size blue prints of this 'beastie'?

I simply cannot get my own plans onto my little scanner.

There are- or should be near enough 100 items. Nick has got a lot of the bits and it should be money for old rope -if full size drawings are there.

I'm ***edited to remove email address***  if you can help him.

Thanks

Norman
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:48:32 AM by spuddevans »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
Just a quick off-topic note. I've edited Norman's message to remove his email address from public view, or rather, from the view of any spam-bots, to prevent him recieving a deluge of spam emails as a result.

Any member wishing to email another member can do so easily by clicking on the little "envelope" symbol below their avatar/picture on the left of the screen.(only registered members can thus see your email address) If you post up your email address (or worse still, your real address/phone number/ bank details) you are opening yourself up to a lot of spam and other nasty things, this is why you see Mod's editing messages to remove such details when they see them.

OK, back on topic now,

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline MadNick

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
Bless you Norman - theres really no hurry though as I have plenty to get on with.

100 parts? Thats amazing - So far I believe I am missing 3 castings, amongst other items - Ill give laddo at MES a buzz tomorrow and see how much they are going to cost me.

I intend to get it put together and working before remaking some of the components, they are a bit ropey in places.

Nick

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

The next question is a bit  odd- does anyone in the Newcastle upon Tyne area got the facility to copy my full size blue prints of this 'beastie'?

Thanks

Norman

Hi Norm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Staples will copy plans  :thumbup:
 Metro Retail Park
Metro Centre
Gateshead
NE11 9XU

Next door to Toys R us  :med:

Rob

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
Thank you Rob but I'll await instructions from Nick!
Really, I was aiming at supplying Nick with  a 100% full scale check list. He could mark off what he's got and see what is left to either fabricate or simply machine. Most of the parts which had to come from castings are there but quite a lot could come from stock steel or cast iron.

Whatever it is- or whatever is going to be is interesting because some years ago I was talking to Arnold Throp at a Harrogate Show about Quorns and Kennets. He, like me, had made both. He was part or well connected with Model Engineering Services and was the Dore- In Dore-Westbury  milling machines. He used his Kennet every day whilst his Quorn lurked under the bench!

Regards

Norman

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
Nick,

I've had a look- sort of at your 'goodies'

Somehow, I guess that only a couple of important  bits 'might be missing'

Why not give me an e-mail with each bit on a separate photo. I'll identify each part and complete the Meccano set.

Whilst you are on-- get rid of that bloody awful electric motor. Chuck it at the neighbour's cat or the vicar-- but not anywhere near that machine.

( Hint, I'd have the bugger working by Sunday)

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Norman you are so demanding!! Ill get some photos together tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the motor, it would be nice to get something more compact and svelte - I need to consider the options as the cutter base is the short version, there isnt enough room for that motor.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
All you need is a 1/6th HP motor capable of 2880 rpm (or even 1440 rpm)

As the late Prof Chaddock said- a Cut of a thous is a BIG cut.

OK, use a 1/4 hp to 'rough out' lathe tools but if you want to see your dirty finger nails in the reflexion of a lathe tool---- well, you know the rest!

Despite what it looks like and probably what you paid, it is a delicate bit of kit.

I've downloaded a few bits from the main sheet- you now need shares in a sticky tape factory  :ddb:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:09:27 PM by Fergus OMore »

Offline MadNick

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:27 AM »
Morning!

Yes, you have quadrupled my normal inbox content this morning!

Much appreciated and prefect for finding out what is needed.

re The motor your notes said a 1/4hp 1440rpm motor would suffice instead of a 1/6 and this one came up so...

Ill have a little look for something a bit more, 'delicate' (like me).

N

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:11 AM »
As you have a 'short wheel base' Kennet and mentioned getting it on the the smaller base, I sort of thought- 'ooh, err?'
Again, it isn't very protected from gr-gr- grit, is it?

OK,  change the pulley. Face East and - you know what to look for :clap:

You are getting there :beer:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
Afternoon,

I made a quick start on the kennet. Thanks to Norman we were able to identify one of the table supports was missing.

I decided to have a crack at making one.

I hacked a chunk of this piece of old steel -

And spent the afternoon getting things square and clean -

Not much to report but its all progress :0

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
Oh dear, you are behind schedule!  :hammer:

OK, one bit of plate as a base- bore a hole in  the pillar thingy and away we go- laughin' and scratchin'   :beer:

This way you have a tool and cutter grinder working

Cheers

N

I'm not just a pretty face-- as you will find out-- if ever we get to a Chinese nosh :clap:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Im on the case!

"I'm not just a pretty face-- as you will find out-- if ever we get to a Chinese nosh"

You know what, I may even REQUEST a trip to Newcastle for that pleasure!

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 05:18:29 AM »
Morning!

I was busy last night, working on the missing table support. Thanks to Norman I was able to get an idea of the dimensions.

I turned my square block into -

To give you some idea -

Next I need to cut two slots into this piece, one to fix the pivot you see above, the other in which the pivot will slide.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 07:26:12 AM »
Most impressed on how you have got on with only a bit of sketchy report in an e-mail etc to go on.

I am looking forward to it when it is 'all singing, all dancing' and doing the  things which it is capable of doing. :beer:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
Nick

Well done  :thumbup: :clap:

Looking good

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline MadNick

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
Afternoon,

Well so far so good. I milled the top slot out and then chain drilled the inner slot and cleaned it up with an end mill to produce -

Exude baby exude!

I tack welded the table support square to its base and balanced the whole thing together to give me encouragement to the project -

The table support base is located by way of pins and a clamp, I believe. These will be my next step.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
By now, Nick should(  :doh:) have the drawing of the locating peg.

I'm going to need a Sabbatical after this  :bow:

Cheers

Norman

Offline MadNick

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Whaddya mean?!

You *made* me make the parts rather than splashing out my hard earned ;)

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
Hi Nick, I hadn't realised that you had the spindle casting- hence my note about getting a 6"DE grinder.

Couple up that damned motor with a bit of round belting and let's see it- perform.

All that seems to be bugging the issue is the casting for the end mills etc- which I have-- and the odds and ends to do the saw sharpening.

Now for some smaller disks- eh?

Cheers

N

Tak tha'ha't off, tha't int Yorkshire! ( Private joke)  :lol:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Afternoon,

Ive been busy.

The first thing to make was the sliding clamp for the table support. I came up with this -

And to give an idea of where it goes -

And then with the table support pillar that I made previously -

After that I made the lower part of the clamp thus -

Interesting I found the handle for this clamp was thread to an M6 whilst it should be a BSF as should all the other threads - more of that later.

With the sliding clamp fitted -

And then with the pillar put in place temporarily -

So, once young Fergus can tell me what the height of the original casting is I can fix mine to the slide.

Back to the threads. This collection of castings was the remnants of a Kennet someone had made previously. Needless to say there is plenty of room for improvement. Having nipped down to the toolshop and purchased some BSW taps and dies especially for this to clean up some of the threads I find out they dont match - when will I ever stop making assumptions. I whipped the thread gauge out which tells me that at least one of these is are a Whitworth 22G and the one on the sliding clamp handle is M6.

For the meantime Ill work with what I have as I want to get up and running plus there are more important things to make - holder for sharpening milling cutters.

I hope this post is of interest.

Nick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
Hi
Hick
Very interesting post :clap: :clap: :clap:
I will be a very handy machine when you get it sorted :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Offline MadNick

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
Ok,

Onto another piece of the jigsaw and another opportunity to turn rust into shiny steel.

I need to fab up a holder for collets so I can sharpen endmills. Thanks to Norman I have a good idea of what is needed. This attachment is similar to the holder for lathe tools so, just to get an idea of sizing, I turned this -

Into this -

I have to say the flycutter on the vertical mill is really good at this. It does need constant sharpening but really can level quite a large area in a short amount of time. Obviously once the grinder is up and running Ill be able to grind my own tool to the correct angles for the flycutter.

I just need to start sketching out some lines on the unformed block of steel and then putting some shape into it.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
As I informed Nick, I don't use my endmill/slot drill holder but use a rather odd combination of a set of ER25 collets which fix onto a Vertex BSO dividing head which will tilt progressively to be a rotary table but on my Clarkson Mark 1 grinder. Well, that's my take on things.

In Nick's case, I would probably either use the existing tool holder from the Kennet and use the lathe tool holder to hold a bored out bit of metal to hold and assortment of adapters ie 1/2", 3/8" and so on.  Other wise, I'd use a bit of plate and bolt a bit of square to sit on top of it.

You see he's got a rather fine protractor on one of the tables and a smaller protractor to adjust the tilt of the working tables.

It's doing well. I only wish that I could get my camera to work as well-------booo, hiss :hammer:

Norman

Offline MadNick

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:31 AM »
In Nick's case, I would probably either use the existing tool holder from the Kennet and use the lathe tool holder to hold a bored out bit of metal to hold and assortment of adapters ie 1/2", 3/8" and so on.  Other wise, I'd use a bit of plate and bolt a bit of square to sit on top of it.
Norman

I like it a lot and will take the path of least resistance every time :)

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
What is being sparked off is a wider interest not just on the Kennet with Nick but Quorns and other grinders.

It does prompt me to add a comment to others that tooling for one machine can often be swopped onto another- and it is sometimes an improvement.

And 'my camera' simply refuses to listen to me swearing at it. :wack:

And anyone know why one of my hearing aids- isn't.  Pardon, speak up!

Can't win 'em all!

Offline MadNick

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
Can't win 'em all!

Where would you put them?

After our emails this afternoon I am back to the Workshop Practice Series, number 35 and reading up on the endmill sharpening fixture to see what can be pilfered.

I need to get the end mill attachment working as soon as poss as making the damn thing has blunted them all!

nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
Hi Nick,
  Really you should be on Miners and my E-mail exchange of info. Heady stuff but all that you have to do is to follow the words and the music about holding slot drills and carefully grinding first and secondary clearance angles at 90 or 180 degrees to each other.

What you have got to now will do the ends of your drills.- or enough to not ask  the  Madmodders' rat to gnaw at yer bit of metal. There's one about- it feeds on emery cloth :bow:

Better go- not listening. Me 'gugger lugs' are on the blink or gummed up or summat equally nasty and I'm in a bit of a moody. :loco:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Thanks Norman,

I managed a few hours today.

First of all I welded the table support onto the base after carefully winding the table up against the spindle to get it square. Then I farted about with the clamp handles as two of them needed swapping over and one was way too long and either banged into the table at (12 o'clock) or the worktop (at 6 o'clock).

Well here it is assembled so far -

But theres still loads to do.I really need to address the main clamping assembly as the larger thread (to adjust tilt) has been cut crooked. Also the indicator for the angle of tilt is not dialled in properly and rocks around. I asked my neighbour to cut off a nice piece of wood and plane it down for a base, then I can start thinking about fitting the motor.

Another gratutitous picture -

Not my paintjob!

Nick

Offline DaveH

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
Nick.

You are doing a good job there  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: coming a long nicely :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks like one of my paint jobs  :D whots rong withit  :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveH

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
Lookin good Nick  :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
Hi
Nick
If you need any blunt end mills just ask :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking great
John

Offline MadNick

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
Evening,

A quick update. I needed to make a big nob to lock down the tool holders. Luckily I had a piece of knurled ali which was approximately the right dimensions but was drilled out slightly larger than the thread I needed. In the end I made a core for it from steel and knocked it in with a hammer. It was then drilled and threaded -

Fitted -

You can see the intended base for the tool. My neighbour made a terrific job of planing down and then staining a nice piece of driftwood - he reckons its some kind of hard wood from South Africa.

Coming together...

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Afternoon,

The next task was to clean up the slot in the tool holder as, after measuring, it was clear the slot wasnt parallel to the base. This would certainly have added error to any angles that need to be ground.

Last night I clamped everything up in the mill, not really preferred practice but there wasnt a lot of room -

Does that get you wet?! It took me an hour or so to set things up, checking for deflection in x, y and z and left any machining until this afternoon -

I machined the slot out and measured up - all good. Then the plan was to use a bit of brass as a point for the holder. I came up with this -

Thats it for the moment. Im making a start on an attachment to grind end mills.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Always remember that the lips of end mills and slot drills are ground almost parallel to the grinding wheel- giving 'a toe in' of not more than a couple of degrees. So you don't need the protractor ring. What you do need is the ability to hold the halves or quarters and the ability to get the first and secondary clearances but having stops to avoid crossing over too far. The last is an error which will destroy your end mill.

That is why I prattled on to you about  a different holder. Of course, you can do it but take heed of just how careful one needs to be.

Cheers

Norman

Offline MadNick

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 01:53:24 AM »
Norman.

Good to hear from you :)

Im still considering a design for the end mill holder and need to do more research.

Until then im going to get the thing fitted to its base and running so I can practice on some lathe bits and one for the fly cutter.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 03:25:45 AM »
Yes, you are following a well trodden path to gain experience. Once you are familiar with doing square lathe tools, you move on to working in 'the round' with lathe tools and then you begin to have to think about your maths and angles and things.

Sadly, few of us progress into such rarified stuff. However, there are bits of useful guidance. Chaddock in his Quorn book gives lots of guidance and so does Thomas especially in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual. What you are going to find is that the two Kennet tool holders will do it all but it does require  a lot of head scratching to get angles right. At this point, I would suggest that you gain experience with them and them move on to more complicated tool holders later.

It is not going to dawn on you- just like that but it will come as you progress.

Cheers

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
Thanks Norman.

Would you be able to advise as to the diameter of the pulleys for my abominable 1/4hp motor please?

Getting closer, I fitted the grinder to the base today, just need to figure out the best way for the motor to sit.

nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »
Hi Nick- still computer problems :loco:

OK- and now to the pulleys!

Here I strongly disagree with the plans :hammer:
The plans say 5. 3/16th and 2. 5/8th for the pulleys which is fine for the small wheels supplied by Model Engineering Services for both the Quorn and the Kennet but there will be times when your machine should have a larger wheel to rough grind. In consequence,
you should think in terms of a double pulley at both the grinder and the motor.

If you think about it carefully, your lathe has variable speeds. Your Kennet is only different in that your lathe moves metal with a tool whereas your Kennet uses grit. All that you have to ensure is that you don't exceed the recommended( safe) speeds for the abrasive wheels.

Sounds pretty heady stuff? Well, I did say that you are moving into an aspect of model engineering where you leave  most people are either unable or unwilling to make their own cutting tools. Well, I hinted at it.

Cheers

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Thanks Norman,

Anything I can do to help or is it still under 'the curse'? lol

So those are two pulley sizes recommended for use with two types of grinding wheel on the 1/4HP motor, is that right?

Nick.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
I'm assuming that you want to go no faster than 7000rpm for a small wheel so if you had a 2880 rpm motor- which you haven't, you would use the 2 to 1 pulleys( per drawings and my earlier post) to give something like a safe 4000 revs. However, you want roughly double  the motor pulley diameter for the dreaded 1440 one. however, I assume that if you want a bigger wheel the present pulleys  would be OK.

If you think about it, a cheap but not too nasty 6" Double ended grinder ( full of Eastern promise) will drive a 6" wheel at each end at 2880 rpm.

So, if you recall my earlier reservations, I would have gone out and got one- until something better materialised.

:Doh:  If you had one, you could rough grind at one end-- and drive the Kennet from the other. : :bang: :bang: :bang:

I might not be the World's best computer freak( said he waving his wooden leg aloft) but  I 've done this tool and cutter malarkey before :hammer:

Goes back to his wheelchair and incontinence pads :clap:

Norm

Offline MadNick

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
Hello,

Well its been a busy afternoon.

I started off by farting around with a newly purchased Clarke DE grinder to do away with the pulleys and spindle and go direct against the cup wheel that I purchased. Mid morning I nipped round to a mates who told me he had found a sweet little Emerson motor - 1450RPM and 1/10 HP -

Well that started off some frenzied calculations on safe wheel speed and what I could manage with my limited pulley choice. After further farting around I found a pulley which came from my old MK2 Golf. I quickly made up a boss for it to go on the Emerson -

My calculations tell me with the drive speed of 1450RPM and diameter of 82mm will achieve a driven speed of 4100RPM on a diameter of 29mm. The grinding wheels have a safe speed of 4500RPMs. Hopefully this will be enough to get me started, just enough so I can make the tool profile I need to make a slightly larger driver diameter.

Loosely assembled -

Next will be to fit the Emerson to the base and wire in some electrics.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
Hi Nick,

You are almost in a position to -- See The Wheels Go Around.

Leave altering pulleys - and get some tools that will make life easier.

That- in case you've forgotten- is where you came in.

Cheers

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
Afternoon,

Well I fitted the motor and got the wheels turning around :) I even managed to do a couple of test cuts on some HSS but there is, however, a problem.

All along this build I have discovered crooked and mixed threads, off-centre holes, badly fitting parts - its been a nightmare. I assume the two missing components are the best bits because everything else has been, er accuracy challenged.

I have now found out the spindle is running off-centre which makes the cup grinding wheel run off-balance and with a buckle in it. I could do away with the spindle and revert to the direct method against the Clarkey but I reckon it would take as long to make a new spindle as it would to make the pedastal required to get the Clarkey to the right height.

I need to do something but just havent decided what as yet...

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
You have a reasonably true spindle in the Clarke. Making a pedestal is only a matter of building up squares of chip board and holding it down with a few long bolts from Wilkinsons!

Once you are making sharp tools, you can concentrate on either re-screwing or re-tapping or making new bits.

I suspect that a tiny sliver removed from some so called mating surfaces will work wonders.
Much of warped stuff is the inability to work accurately up to a shoulder. A removed whisker often transform what looks like a  'Thrupple Nut'

Attention to detail

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 04:47:34 AM »
Morning,

Quick update. Have fitted the Clarke just to get things going. I was spending too much time on the other spindle - 

There is still a kick in the grinding face, however. I checked with the other wheel on both ends of the grinder - same issue, will have to manage with it for the meantime.

Amid a fanfare of golden bugles, flags and dusky maidens, I started making my inaugural tool yesterday. You know I mentioned the project had been bedevilled by a curse, well the curse has struck again - the pivot for the toolholder pulled clean out!

Ive had enough for the time being and need to make some progress with the chopper instead.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »
Enter the 7th Cavalry or whoever to rescue Custard   :ddb:

One- I've suggested that his wheel needs dressing( leave the dusky maidens to be viewed)
Suggested that he  bought a diamond dresser( not you Moma, sit down) but No, NO :loco:

So Ive told him to use a scrap carbide bit or lathe tool. Could be a crap carbide masonry drill.

Finish off with a bit of crap wheel.

As for the 'pulling out' well it's Titanic time and yet again-- rotten rivets.

Need this deaf old fart say more :coffee:???????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline MadNick

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
And this afternoon's efforts featured real achievement  :ddb:

First I fixed the stripped thread. You can see the knackered thread in the above photo. Luckily the pivot was cut 1/4" or so too long so I simply cut a thread with a larger diameter on the shank for 1/4" or so, with a corresponding one to screw it into on the top table. I then Loctited it in place.

The grinding wheel was then dressed to get a nice flat, consistent surface and I set up the top table/tool holder parallel to it.

I then ground two 5 degree rake angles on a piece of HSS to make a start on the tool for my fly cutter. Of course there are a lot of small niggles to iron out but now im actually seeing some results there is more motivation to keep going. I certainly need to make some changes to the tilt angle indicator and clamp, fit rubber feet to the wooden base to stop it moving and fab up some kind of guard.

Very pleased :) - thank-you Norman.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
7th Cavalry-- and all that!

So now you want to do the fab-ing of angles cut out of plywood or even a plastic tray from MacDoo-dahs for your varigated (t) angles- instead of pee-ring under to see where you got :lol:

'Bin there-- and so have an army including Slattery's Mounted Foot :beer:

As for the whole panjandrum moving - nothing really bright to suggest as the last BIG anchor was lost at sea.

Big Question---------------------------ARE Finally winning??????????? :hammer:

Offline MadNick

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
It feels like a small victory...cheers!

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Afternoon!

A quick update. As you may remember the Kennet didnt come with an attachment for grinding end mills so Ive been busy making one.

After reviewing some excellent reference material supplied by Normo Tebbs and Miner I came up with the following -

In pieces -

And then...

This has some repeatability as once the tool holder can simply be removed and turned through 90 degrees to grind the other faces.

Yet to actually be tried out I have a couple of adjustments to make. I need to set up a pointer for the angle (although not strictly speaking absolutely necessary at the moment), work out some kind of setting block to get the faces parallel to the grinding wheel and also work on a more secure way of retaining the holder in the cradle as there is some slight movement.

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
Apart from the delightful reference to the other Norm, all is well.
You must realise that he has considerably less hair despite being my junior.
So Kennet's? I like the end mill holder and approve of how it has been fabricated after a rather nasty blow up of the other tool holder. Norman and I had much more serious blows up but how did you know?
So, I look forward to seeing what your Kennet can do. Hurry up- I'm beginning to lose my hair as well and this imminent 82 years is not quite as thrilling as 28 was :doh:

N

Offline MadNick

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Cheers Norman,

Ive been reading up on the angles that need to be ground on an end mill. Ive got a few blunt ones here I can practice on.

Will keep you posted :)

N.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Nick,

Nice job, well done  :thumbup: :clap:

DaveH

Offline MadNick

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
As Rod The Mod once sang 'the first cut is the deepest' - well it certainly was in this case!

I took a bit too much off on the first attempt, you can just see on this photo where the centre of the end mill has been ground.

A quick test cut and it was quite clear from the pattern that a lot of rubbing was happening.

But, its certainly a good start and I never expected it to get it right first time, so, progress...of a kind!

Nick

Online philf

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:23 AM »
Nick,

Good progress. If you're seeing rubbing - don't forget that the end cutting faces shouldn't be at right angles to the shank of the cutter - they should angle inwards slightly - about 1 degree from memory but I'm sure someone will know.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
Agreed Phil but the Kennet is a pretty basic beast and 'dishing' the 1-2 degrees is not quite so straightforward as on our Quorns. My own experience using my Kennet suggests  leaving such matters until more overall experience is gained. Nick has yet to grind a lathe tool and I have been trying to keep things simple- for the present.

We've already been 'cutting corners'( pun intended) by him using a 6" DE grinder rather than the  correcting a high speed spindle that isn't quite 'comme il faut' on a somewhat well worn lathe.

In all, he's done remarkable things - broken tool holders, missing bits and only an old fart('nuff said')

Offline MadNick

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
Thanks Phil,

I had read up on the required angles from the Workshop Series and thus set a 1 degree concave angle into the end mill so im confident that my angles are good.

One of the faces did have a lump taken out of it and as I progressively sharpened each face in turn, this was the one that needed a bit more taken off than the rest so the end mill really was near the end of its usable life.

In all, he's done remarkable things - broken tool holders, missing bits and only an old fart('nuff said')

Thats only through plenty of your patient, expert advice and my own dogged determination :)

Theres a looong way to go yet but at least its usable.

Nick

Offline MadNick

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Afternoon :)

For anyone that is still following my thread ;) this afternoon I finished off re-making the table support clamp as the one that came with the Kennet was shocking with twisted threads and poor fit. I came up with the following -

I also made a rough and ready stop bar out of a square of ali I had knocking around and a ground bar from an old printer -

Thats going to be it for a while. I still need to make a couple of holder for the smaller shank end mills but really want to get cracking on my wire bender so I can make a sissy bar/fender stay for the chopper.

Nick