Author Topic: WOOHOO!!! Just ordered my new lathe!!  (Read 20101 times)

Offline websterz

WOOHOO!!! Just ordered my new lathe!!
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
I just placed an order for a Grizzly 4003 12x36 lathe!  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

What a step up from my little 7x12 this is going to be. It's been several years since I ran anything too big for me to lift.  :lol:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: WOOHOO!!! Just ordered my new lathe!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
Well that is a very nice lathe, I think you will be very pleased with it. :thumbup:

When do you expect delivery
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
Well that is a very nice lathe, I think you will be very pleased with it. :thumbup:

When do you expect delivery
DaveH

I hope I like it, I blew my machine budget for the year on it.  :bugeye: It will be here in about 3 or 4 business days.  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Sounds like someone's going to be having a little fun  :zap:  :dremel:  :borg:  :ddb:

I'm sure you'll keep us up to date  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
 :update:  :jaw:I just got off the phone with Grizzly. HOLY SPEEDY DELIVERY BATMAN...my lathe will be here tomorrow!!!!  :bugeye: I better get busy tidying up the workshop!!

Offline DaveH

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:11:42 AM »
Websterz,

Just don't forget your camera.

:worthless:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveH

Offline websterz

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Websterz,

Just don't forget your camera.

:worthless:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveH

They didn't have a liftgate truck on the route today so I have to wait until Monday. 
 :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »
This will be a long week end for you :doh: :doh: :doh:
Don't forget the pictures :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »

They didn't have a liftgate truck on the route today so I have to wait until Monday. 
 :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I hate it when they pull that stuff....   :poke:

Dave and I have basically the same machine. You are going to love it I'm sure.
I started out with a 7x10 myself. Still have it as a matter of fact.

Just make sure you look over EVERYTHING and check for any damage before you sign for it!
Note any damage on the paperwork as well before you sign as well.

I've had drivers try to con me into signing off on the shipment before they even open the doors on the trailer.
Once you have signed on the dotted line - it's yours to keep, as is. Don't fall for it in your excitement over your new prize.
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Davo J

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »
Congratulations on your new toy, I mean tool, LOL
Always a good day getting a new machine. Have you got a space cleared for it and lifting gear to get it into place? Don't forget you will need Kero to remove the rust preventive goo and some way oil, but you probably already have that for your other lathe.

I have a similar lathe as well, and it will last a life time if you look after it and keep it well oiled.

Take Willie's advice about signing off until he has put it in place and finished touching it. One guy bought a lathe from Precision Mathews lathe and everything looked fine from the outside so he signed off. When he opened it up latter there was stuff damaged and neither PM or the delivery company would help him in any way, with one saying you signed off and the other saying you should have inspected it before signing off. Have a crow bar and hammer handy and open the crate up to make sure everythings fine. Grizzly is pretty good for replacement parts under warranty, but not sure about freight damage. It will probably have on your invoice what you should be allowed to do as far as opening it, if not I am sure it will be on their site somewhere.

Dave

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
RETURNS
  What is Grizzly's return policy?

Items may be returned for exchange or refund within 30 days of purchase. The merchandise must be unused and in new, resalable condition and returned in all its original packaging. All returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. Shipping and handling charges are not refundable. If you wish to return an item to us, please call us at (800) 523-4777 or email us at csr@grizzly.com to obtain a Return Authorization number. We will provide you instructions for shipping the item back to us.

What if I received a defective product?

All the items we sell are backed by our one-year warranty. Often our trained technicians are able to trouble-shoot problems with you over the phone. However, if it becomes necessary to return an item that is not working properly, please call us at (800) 523-4777 or email us at csr@grizzly.com to obtain a Return Authorization number. We will provide you instructions for shipping the item back to us. After we receive the item, our Service Department will inspect it to determine the cause of the problem. If our inspection confirms the item is defective and is still under warranty, we will either repair or replace it for you. We will reimburse your return shipping costs for the defective item (based on UPS Ground or USPS Parcel Post rates).

What if the item I purchased is delivered to me damaged?

The carriers we use to ship orders work very hard to deliver packages and freight in good condition. Sometimes, however, damage does occur. Inspect all your freight deliveries carefully and if you see any signs of damage, note the condition of your freight on the delivery receipt before you sign for the shipment.
If your order arrives damaged, keep all the original packaging and report the damage to us right away by calling our Customer Service Department at (800) 523-4777 or by emailing us at csr@grizzly.com. We will work with you to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

After I return an item, how long will it take to receive my refund / replacement?

Once your return shipment is received in our warehouse, it takes approximately two to three business days for our staff to inspect the product and set up your replacement order or refund. It can take slightly longer during extremely busy times. If we are repairing the item you returned, additional time will be required to order replacement parts and make repairs.

How will you refund my money?

If you originally paid for the item using a credit card, PayPal or Bill Me Later, we will credit your original form of payment. We will issue a refund check for items originally paid for by check, money order or bank wire transfer. If we reimburse your return shipping costs, we will do so in the form of a refund check.
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
Just a note on the receiving and signing bit....

The carrier used to deliver my Eagle 30 milling machine last March was allotted something like 45 mins to unload the crate, position it at my request and allow me to open the crate and inspect the items I was signing for..
Turns out all was ok except for the missing vice which was on backorder......which I didnt find out about until I opened the delivery note! :doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline websterz

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
I have a gallon of kerosene and 3 gallons of Rotella 30 weight non detergent oil ready. Good advice about the hammer and crowbar, I will make sure to look it over thoroughly before I sign for the lathe. 3 grand is a lot of money and the driver will just have to wait while I check the machine.  :thumbup:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
the driver will just have to wait while I check the machine.  :thumbup:

While we wait patiently for the photos........... :clap:  (Hmmm...no drooly smiley   I love new machinery)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Davo J

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »
I have a gallon of kerosene and 3 gallons of Rotella 30 weight non detergent oil ready. Good advice about the hammer and crowbar, I will make sure to look it over thoroughly before I sign for the lathe. 3 grand is a lot of money and the driver will just have to wait while I check the machine.  :thumbup:

Don't forget some nails just in case you have to put the crate back together, LOL
Over on the Home Machinist forum one member bought a larger style bandsaw recently and when they opened up the back of the truck it was on it's side. Of course he refused delivery but Grizzly had a new one shipped out that day. Evidently the carrier was not a regular one and only took the saw because the normal carriers where not in that area that day, (or something like that)

Look forward to seeing your new lathe, and I hope all this talk of damage is just that, talk.

Dave

Offline websterz

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
 :update:

Well, everything looked good when I opened the crate so I let the guy at the terminal go ahead and load the lathe into my truck...

and an hour later I had it safely lowered to the ground and ready to wheel into the shop...

I would have more pics but I have to run to town and buy a power cord and plug so I can wire up the lathe and get it hoisted onto the bench.  Cheap #$%^'s don't even include the power cord. I just laid out 3 grand and I have to go buy my own wire!!  :doh:

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
Perhaps it's like with cheap welders (that require more than 13 amps current) to avoid liability.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:46 AM »
Ahem, it is recommended for some lathes to thread that lifting strop inside the feed screw etc. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Davo J

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:46 AM »
I would say all lathes John, unless you have timber or steel spreaders under it to hold the straps out.

Some over on Home Machinist just bought a lathe like you and had it delivered the same way, :LOL:

Good to see it arrived fine, I thought you where waiting on lift gate service? I hope no damage has been done by the straps as John pointed out.

Dave

Offline websterz

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Ahem, it is recommended for some lathes to thread that lifting strop inside the feed screw etc. :coffee:

I had just released all tension off the straps and pulled out the 2x4 that was between the feed and lead screws. I was getting ready to re-orient the straps and paused to take a pic.

Offline websterz

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
I would say all lathes John, unless you have timber or steel spreaders under it to hold the straps out.

Some over on Home Machinist just bought a lathe like you and had it delivered the same way, :LOL:

Good to see it arrived fine, I thought you where waiting on lift gate service? I hope no damage has been done by the straps as John pointed out.

Dave

Lift gate service would have only served to get the machine on my truck, at which point I would have been in the same position of offloading myself. The truck can't get down my alley and it is too rough for a pallet jack. This way I got to inspect the machine on the ground and got it about an hour earlier by meeting the semi.

I got out this morning, located 15' of 12/3 and got the power cord made up and wired in. Now the machine is on my bench with minimal tension on the lift. I am going to let it sit under it's own weight for a few hours to make sure the bench is up to the task. Then it's time to level 'er up and start cleaning!  :dremel:

Offline DaveH

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
Websterz,

Nice  :thumbup: :clap:

DaveH

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Looks the part
I used to have a colchester bantam lathe
That had a cross hole in the bed you put a piece of 3/4 round bar through it this gave a single lift point the carage was traversed to balance it
John

Offline websterz

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
The bench seems up to the task after adding a few jackscrews here and there to help tweak it into level. The lathe levelled easily enough with the bench sorted out. I just needed about .050" worth of shims under the headstock and my Starrett machinists level reports ready for duty!

After a good cleaning I reassembled the tailstock from the pieces I received in the bottom of my crate.  :doh: It took 4 test cuts to get the tailstock into some semblance of true. It is now cutting .0005" taper per foot. That's good enough for me...

That's enough playtime for one day. Tomorrow I will get in another hour or so of runtime and change the oil. Here is a shot of my messy shop. Got to do something about that one of these days. I had it all clean when I moved in the new mill but it got trashed over the last couple of days.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Congrats on the new lathe!!  :drool:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together.   :clap:

WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Davo J

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
Good to hear all is well.  :beer:
Another test you can do for the head stock is to machine a larger piece of pipe with a decent wall thickness, say 3-4 inch diameter, to see how well the head stock is aligned now you have it leveled. Not sure if you know about marking the chucks in there best running position to the spindle, but I used the letter V out of my punch set to mark mine.

Also when you machine the face plate to clean it up, mark it in the position it was machined. I then took mine to the mill and checked it for flatness to see how the lathe was facing, I found mine was pretty well spot on with only a little concave. They should really turn slightly concave.

Have fun with your new lathe.

Dave

Offline DaveH

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »
Websterz,

So mate hows your new lathe?  :thumbup:
DaveH

Offline websterz

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
Websterz,

So mate hows your new lathe?  :thumbup:
DaveH

:update: After a week I have a few observations.

For a gear head lathe this machine is pretty quiet. It's no 7x12 as far as noise level goes but it is not bad at all.

9 speeds are enough as long as you have the right ones.

The tailstock, although smooth as butter, has one huge issue. There are 2 adjusting setscrews and 1 locking setscrew, and that is all that holds it together. I had the taper adjusted almost completely out a few days ago and when I rechecked everything today it was out by almost .010"  :doh:  I am going to disassemble it, flip it upside down on the mill, and mill a couple of slots perpendicular to the direction of travel. Then I am going to drill and tap the base for a couple of lockdown bolts. That will still allow me to adjust the offset, and also lock the thing down solid. It should have had that done at the factory. They are learning slowly...but they ARE getting better.

I have a slight oil leak somewhere in the apron. I will try and locate it tomorrow when I do the first oil change.

And finally the saddle lock uses a really shallow headed cap screw instead of the traditional square headed bolt. It is so shallow that you can't leave an allen wrench in it, it just falls out. I am going to have to do something about that because I use the lock a lot.

That's about it for now.  :dremel:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:04 AM »
Hi,
All lathes have the tail stock set up like this, if you add bolts underneath how are you going to do them up? You will have to take off the tail stock and then it may move. Also if you move it to another part of the bed it may need adjust differently, so you will have to take it off again.

The tail stock base is aligned by the V way, then the tail stock itself is located buy a tongue and groove onto the base. The adjusting grub screws will adjust sideways movement and also lock it in place once both a nipped up. The tail stock has nothing pulling it up so gravity holds it down while the lock is loose. Once you do up the lock it will pull the base down on the way and lock it in place. I am no sure about your tail stock, but mine needs to be pried away from the base the tongue and groove is that tight.

I would just pull it apart and give it a good clean, that should fix it.

For the lock on the carriage, Make a new one up with a handle like I did in the picture below. You can either machine it up and thread it to suit, or do as I did and plug weld a turned and drilled piece of scrap on the end of the bolt for the handle to screw into.

Dave

Offline websterz

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
I don't plan to put the bolts underneath. The adjusting slots will go in the tailstock and the base will be drilled and tapped. I use the tailstock a lot but rarely (as in maybe once a year) offset it to cut a taper. What I need is that it be centered and stay that way. The tongue and groove on mine isn't as snug as your's but it is tight enough to align to the base. When I opened the crate the tailstock was in pieces and it got a good cleaning before reassembly.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
Websterz,

So mate, you have had plenty of time to admire your new lathe,  :D :D :D

What you made on it?  :D :D :D I hope you are not still polishing it  :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveH

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Just a quick question , is that a grizzly mill in the picture of your workshop ,and do you suffer overheating on high speed.?

sorry for going off topic , Nice big  Lath though, how did you lift it on the bench?

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline websterz

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
That is indeed a Grizzly...a G0704. I have not had any real heat issues with it yet. I push it pretty hard and the motor does get hot, but it hasn't caused any problems. I did notice that the Z axis digital readout doesn't like it when the spindle bearings start heating up. The display gets erratic and is useless until things cool down. Wierd.

As for the lathe I have not really done a lot with it. The first real part I made was a bushing for the mill drawbar. I replaced the original bar with a long 7/16-20 bolt but it was pretty wonky and didn't center itself in the spindle very well. This caused a lot of vibration at high speed. To cure it I made an aluminum bushing to fit the ID of the spindle and OD of the bolt, with a little flange around the top. No more vibration as the new drawbar stays centered.

As for getting the machine on the bench I used a 2 ton cherry picker (engine hoist). Moved it with ease all by myself.  :D

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
On you G0704, how do you lock the spindle when tightening or loosening the drawbar?

Joe