Author Topic: Cutting Oil  (Read 5501 times)

Offline steam oil

Cutting Oil
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
Hi
I have just emptied my tank of soluble cutting oil. I plan to use a none soluble oil and wondered if anyone had used Clarks cutting oil from Machine mart.

Brian

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: Cutting Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
It seems to work OK for me, Brian, but I apply it with a brush and it's the only "official" cutting oil I've ever used, so my opinion doesn't count for much.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
Hi just my bit it works for me to

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
Blimey, that's not cheap...

I buy mine from here: http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=25_52

I can't remember which one it was I bought, but it works very well. I'm on my second 25ltr tub, but only because I put most of the first one into the sump of the Bridgeport, which saves me pumping it by hand...

If you want to know what number I got, I'll find out for you tomorrow - I think it was either the sulphery one or the chlorinated one - i figured the less healthy it sounded, the better it probably was at its job...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
I think it was either the sulphery one or the chlorinated one - i figured the less healthy it sounded, the better it probably was at its job...

Ade,
 Well thought out  :lol: :lol: :lol:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
Brian i only use it for screw cutting and tapping 30% of the time, the other made up soluable 60% of the time or nothing at all.

Just drained the lathe coolant and removed it, my pumps packed up. Probably cost £130 to fill with cutting oil but whats the point.

Offline Myford_Paul

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Works fine but is a bit expensive why dont you buy it from MM when they have one of their VAT free offers on, as it's a Clarke item it should qualify for the full 20% off taking some of the sting out of it.

Paul

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
I've just looked at mine, I bought a 25 ltr barrel of 432 (heavy duty chlorinated). I use it as a flood coolant on the Bridgeport, and manually applied via a can on the lathe, and it seems to work very nicely when steel cutting - I can really plough throw steel on the mill. The smoke it makes isn't particularly unpleasant, although in all honesty I've not cut much steel lately. I've had it in the sump of my bridgeport for a good couple of years, and whilst there is a bit of a dodgy smell, that's from whatever was in the sump when I bought the machine... I cleaned most of it out but there was enough stinky stuff still in there to make the fresh oil a bit whiffy.

As I've barely used the top of my "new" 25ltr barrel (bought about 6-8 months ago), I'll happily sell some of it off for £2.50/litre + postage - strictly limited quantites mind, as I do need to keep some for myself...

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »
I just had 5l from Adv and picked it up from his workshop. Now he is someone who makes or repair or modify rather than buy new. Adv I think you should start doing workshop tours around your place.

Cheers
Mike