Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Peck Drilling THANK YOU

<< < (2/2)

bogstandard:
Spin,

If I was you I would take Stews advice and buy a blank MT taper, they are very cheap.

Kicking over your tailstock is easy, and you would soon get the job done. Getting the tailstock back into perfect alignment is a real PITA involving drive dogs and turning between centres. Been there and got the t-shirt.

If you were making a couple of dozen, then yes, but for one or two, the figures don't work out.

If you just want to make quickie MT's for general tooling use in the tailstock, you could easily make stub MT's by using your compound slide kicked over and the material held in the chuck. Because the compound most probably won't have enough travel to turn the full length of a standard MT, then turn what you can and make up the difference with a bolt in the end so that the eject in the tailstock will still work. A minimum of half the length is required to give a stable seating.

Once you have the correct angle, knock up half a dozen for future use.

C-o-C attached.

Bogs

SPiN Racing:
Ahhh very nice...

Ok so I have heard of ofsetting the tailstock... Not sure I want to go there yet. Not sure Im up for that level of work.... and with the chuck changes.. I am not able to go there yet either I think.. cause I have a self centering 3 jaw, and a 4 jaw.. sooo Would need to wrap my brain around that.

I checked e-bay, and there is a MT2 arbor with a threaded end for $8.95USD... sooo since its that cheap, I will likely go that route, and start with one of those.  Will try to get to the scrap yeard next week and see what they have materials wise that will help me cobble up the items..

OH and BTW.. Mom Loved the fan Pull.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version