Author Topic: Rotary Head/Dividing Head Question  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Rotary Head/Dividing Head Question
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
About a year ago I purchased a Vertex 4” Rotary Table without the accessories for dividing, or the tail stock. It was an expensive investment, and as of now, I haven’t used it much. I have made a copy of my lathe spindle nose, mounted on an MT2 taper and can mount the lathe faceplate, and 3” and 4” chucks on it.
I’m studying gear cutting, and dividing and such and realize I need to be able to index and divide accurately to make gears. I have found several examples of homemade ones, and priced the accessories made for my RT.
My dilemma is, do I Spend as much as the RT cost to get the indexing accessories, or make my own dividing head, al-la Gingery, or some other style? Do I make a tail stock? Do I really need a tail stock?
So, my question, plea, request is: Has anyone made their own dividing head, tailstock? Or has anyone made their own indexing accessories for their RT? Any plans out there?
Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Rotary Head/Dividing Head Question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
Chuck - I thought you were building and using the Kwackers indexer for dividing? You can`t beat it. I`m sure there are people who will like the good old method of indexing plates but not having to keep count, lose position and have any number of divisions 1-9999 , I truely believe once you have used one you wouldn`t bother with anything else.

Chris