Author Topic: drawings/Plans  (Read 22493 times)

Offline mechman48

drawings/Plans
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
Hi all, mechman 48 back again :wave:.
Hope I am in the right section.I have been given a 1:35 scale, part completed, model of the WW2 Railgun, 'Leopold' K5e, in aluminium,  from a colleague & mentor previously not seen for many years & had sadly passed away last year :palm:,unfortunately there were no plans with it. He had obviously had some in the past as there are some plates with ref #'s on them but these plans seem to have disappeared. Has anyone built one of these K5e's from scratch who has a complete set of scale drawings/plans that I could have copies of, costs for copy & postage will be reimbursed of course. :proj:

I have checked with Website 'one 35th' and there are plenty of kits advertised but I havent been able to find any one who has build one from scratch & these kits only contain construction instructions for the plastic parts. I will post photos of what I have when the cold weather eases off.
Any help greatly appreciated.  :nrocks:
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline mechman48

Re: drawings/Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
Hi Guys
As mentioned have attached photos of K5e railgun that was given to me.This is going to be a major project on my toduit list :coffee:
Still on the lookout for scale drawings /plans if anyone out there has any ?
 :headbang:
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
OOOPs photos

Barrel trunnion

total piecesc I have

Underneath elevation assembly

Some idea of size of model - so far approx 950mm lg

One truck assembly & wheels

Breech assembly
George.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:02:28 PM »
Hi George

I can't help you with the plans. That is an ambitious project! I can't wait to see you work on it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Yorkshireman

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:37:33 AM »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
Hi George,

Nice model. I did a google search for plans and turned up empty. I wouldn't even know were to start looking. Are there any groups out there on the net that might be able to help?

I'd really like to see you finish that.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline mechman48

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
Hi guys
Thanks for the comments; thanks to 'yorkshireman' for the link to pictures :beer:. I have googled the net as well ..same result.Have also made contact with 'Hyperscale.com' &  'militarymodelling.com' for info' & both have photos of scale models from 'Dragon' & 'Trumpeter' (both Chinese model manufacturers) but no plans as such :bang:.
Not to worry though, as I said it is on my to do list, & it's going to be a looooong term project but in the meantime my priorities have been imprinted(decided) by SWMBO :bow: .. kitchen & bathroom revamp #1&2 (now that the rads & boiler have been replaced).. then  :scratch: a suggestion from long suffering wifey brought heartening news  :) why not convert the garage into your workshop, it would be more secure than an outside shed...  :bugeye:! (I did hint at this a long time back, but what the h**l, ssshh keep my mouth shut! :Doh:).It makes sense as it would not entail any foundation work, concrete pad laying etc, so there's a few bob saved straight away & as I am looking to retire in the autumn(fall for our cousins across the pond  :palm:) every penny saved means more toward the conversion ...OOOps kitchen & bathroom revamp  :Doh:
Anyhow thanks for the interest & assistance, will keep y'all posted as I progress.
Cheers
George
George.

Offline ALCO-Jim

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »
Hi George -

I recently found your post regarding drawings for the German K5e Leopold railgun.  I realize your last post was in February 2012 but thought I'd reach out. 

I've been working with drawings and photos of the K5e to design many 1 1/2" scale working parts drawings.  Perhaps I have something you can use.

Have you been working on your railgun project ?

- Jimi -
     Harvard, MA USA

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
Hi Jimi

Nice to hear from you, & the offer is very much appreciated, I haven't touched the model since I got it, it's been on the waaaaay back burner until I got hold of some plans. I have since converted the garage to my workshop, had the kitchen & bathroom redone & now, having retired I thought 'yay me time'... NOT! once family & others latch on I've had very little time in the garage, it's always been 'can you, will you, baby sit, dog sit, plus hospital appointments for both me & my wife etc..... I had more time off when I was working... family think you're not entitled to a life when you retire... I digress   :offtopic: 

I would very much appreciate any dwgs you have in pdf format I could possibly use.

TIA
George.
George.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »
Ha, Mechman,
           Welcome to the world of retirement. I don't know many retired folk who do not wonder how they found time to work.  Anyway, you do have a project ahead. 
      I wonder if the US military museum just might have some plans liberated from Krupps after the war? Can only ask?

Good luck ,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
Thanks for the tip John B

It's still on the back burner for now; I've now diversified slightly to steam engines albeit Stuart Turner kits & a couple of misc. dwgs of t'internet, don't envisage running them on steam... yet, what I've built so far run on compressed air, quite nicely if I say so myself. Just need to get my a***e into gear & make time... family & all that as mentioned...ho hum   :palm:  plan on starting with Stuart 10V.

George.
George.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
I may be odd course but the drawings( outline) are available on Google  together with a write up on Wikipedia  giving access to other sources.

The two guns are described

Regards

Norman

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
Now this is just a thought:

Google or ebay or any other search engines use the specific language keywords to search the whole of the world's nets.

So if you google "Tank" you will hit lots of English and American battle tank sites as well as water tanks!

Google "Panzer" and you should get a load of German hits!

Is there a way to limit Google/ebay searches? Or make them language/country specific?

As in when I search for stuff/suppliers available from Ireland(home)/UK(next best) and Europe I don't want to hit sites  in the USA as postage is prohibitive.

So try to find out what this rail gun is called in German and try to search that.

Or find a friend in Germany and get them to search for you.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 05:23:04 AM »
So a quiet morning for a quick google:

If you have already found these then no problem, but I do like to google!

There are some book references at the end
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenbahngesch%C3%BCtz

and another different Wiki.de page

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/80-cm-Kanone_%28E%29

A quick amazon on Gerhard Taube:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gerhard+Taube

shows his books (expensive - maybe you can order one through your library?)

Anyways hope this helps. Would love to see the finished model!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »
George, the tank museum in Bovington Dorset may be worth a try their archive dept. is extensive in what it covers. It may be worth a call or an e mail. if you e-mail the library i would also send a pic or 2 of what you have so far. i think you will find them very helpful.

http://www.tankmuseum.org/home

Phone: 01929 405096 x230 or email library@tankmuseum.org.

John

Offline mechman48

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
Hi All

Many thanks for the info you all have provided  :thumbup: . Having got the old memory banks working I do recall that having worked with the originator of this model & as well as being my mentor many years ago when I started as Mech.Eng. instructor he started making a scale model of the king Tiger tank which now resides in the Bovington Tank Museum, donated after his passing back in 2011.

Having made contact with the ex colleague that gave me the model I have gleaned that Dennis ( my mentor) had actually purchased the Trumpeter 1/35 scale plastic model kit from Japan & was actually measuring the plastic kit parts & transferring all dimensions into constructing the aluminium model ( which I now have), this would be typical of Dennis's thinking & exacting approach.

The only option I now seem to have would be to purchase the same model & carry out the same methodology (always wanted an 'ology'  :palm: ). I have looked on Trumpeters site & all the details are there about the no. of parts in box, box sizes, construction steps manual, assembly instructions etc but no eng. dwgs per se.
IIRC having spoken to my ex colleague a couple of weeks after Dennis's funeral he said that all Dennis's gear had just been disposed of a few days previously by his executors & there were numerous bits of kit, Mill, lathe, model parts, umpteen dwgs etc. If only I'd made enquiries earlier  :bang: as I knew the executers quite well
I would have bought the lot, but as I was working away at that time...   :bang:  :bang: ce la vie. FWIW...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6sJCInrnLAhXFiQ8KHWR0CTwQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FTrumpeter-280mm-Leopold-railroad-00207%2Fdp%2FB000BMYTFY&usg=AFQjCNEicIvD0cVCtOhBWeEfnZFnTERMNg

So guys 'n' gals there you have the latest scenario, being a pensioner & at the kit being in the region of £100... it will have to stay on the back burner for a while. Once again many thanks for your input... watch this space  :thumbup:

George.
George.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 12:27:19 AM »

Offline mechman48

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 05:00:29 AM »
Thanks Tom.

Have added to my favourites list for ref.  :thumbup:

George.
George.