The Shop > Metal Stuff

Stew wins Bronze

(1/6) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi Chaps

I had one of those urges to visit the scrap yard, some sixth sence told me there was something good waiting to be discovered.

This is what dropped in my lap 10 quid the lot: ho how the price of scrap has fallen.

Its ally bronze: the round bits a runner from some casting: the square bits I think are samples of the melt. with some hex brass trown in.

But her's the strange thing I still don't know if I've been had or not, one of the chaps at the yard is realy helpfull (the other ones a right miserable son of a bitch) any way, I ask the helpful one what it was, he said ally bronze but hang on a tick I'll check it, he went and got a strong magnet  :scratch: and shure enough it was attracted by the magnet he assured me than ally bronze was slightly magnetic. Now I,ve a little metalurgical knowlege, but this is a new one on me.

Are there any  :smart: out there who can put me right on this.

As for the Brass Goblet well what do you think could be made of this Ralph,  :clap: I've had that shape imprinted on my mind now for weeks and when I saw this among a pile of brass scrap it just jumped out at me.

:lol:

Cheers
 :wave:

Have Fun Stew

bogstandard:
Stew,

There is usually a lot of those ali bronze test pieces down there, but I have never had the courage to get any.
I always have nightmares about unknown quantities.

I will see how you get on first.

Have you ever felt like a guinea pig?  :lol:

Bogs

sbwhart:
Hi John

I'll give them a try, if worse come to the worse I'll save them until the price of scrap goes up: wo'd have thought I'd be a bullion dealer  :lol: :lol:

Cheers

:wave:

Stew

Brass_Machine:
Great score. Love the goblet! I would leave it alone and polish it up. Unless you are thinking of making your own windball??

Eric

sbwhart:
John's guinea pig reports in.  :zap:

First on the magnetic thing, I tried a strong magnet (DTI stand) on some ally bronze from two diferent supplies:- Industrial, and John's little shop of magic, and they were both slightly magnetic. We may not understand the metalurgy behind this but its a little trick well worth remembering.  :thumbup:

Now for the machining trial, the best bit to try would be the round piece, that's obviously a runner from some casting process, if ther's going to be any nasties it will be in the top end of the runner as all the slag rizes to the top, that's one reason they have them. This is a heafty chunk of metal 7 1/2" by 2" diameter, so it will take some carful handling.

1:- Clean up any bad flash and find the centre of one end, this was done with a centre square, and good big centre punch mark.

2:- Putting a centre in one end, (bit unsure, could be a bit dicy  :zap:), Clamped the bar to a big V block, and clamped the V block on the table of my drill, went like a dream centre drilled great.

3:- Set up in lathe with big rotating centre, tool was just a TPMR general purpose tip I had available, cut like a dream, even on the worst intermitant cut.

Chips flew all over the place so but a chip guard on the machine

I'm pleased to report that this is a real nice piece of ally bronze machined like a dream  :thumbup: with no signs of blow holes or nasty inclusions, don,t know what I'm going to make with it yet, but I'm shure it will be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version