Author Topic: The green thing  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Scuba1

The green thing
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »

Thought you might appreciate this!

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own shopping bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the county of Yorkshire . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn’t expect that to be bucked by flying it thousands of air miles around the world. We actually cooked food that didn’t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad.
But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.
Remember: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to **** us off.

PS - Help the environment and don't print this email unless you really need to!

ATB
Michael

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: The green thing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »
brilliant :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Yes, I like that :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
And who is getting the blame for global warming? :bow:
Jim

Offline DaveH

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
And who is getting the blame for global warming? :bow:
Jim

Probably me, I get the blame for everything else :doh:
DaveH

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
Michael

Right on Michael. Brings back memories of my younger days. Thanks for sharing it with us all.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Maybe getting a bit deep, but the real question here is how the heck society (from the perspective of a semi-rural Canadian) got away from all these things and how we get back on track!

-Sparky

Offline cuog

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
To OP:  Your post is kind of the young girls point.  The generation that grew up with those things was also the generation that was in charge when we did away with them.  As such the youngin's have to do "the green thing" just to get back to where we were back then, and hopefully start putting us on track to actually being better off. 

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
I think we did away with them not over night but during the cause of a perceptive increase in wealth that did not actually happen and we are now paying the bill for it and doing that with empty pockets.

ATB

Michael

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
Sparky,

We got away from those things because we were fed up of wartime austerity and thought we making a better life for our kids.

Guess we can't be right all the time.

Dave

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
I hated the chore of lining the garbage can with old newspapers as a kid, perhaps it wasn't such a bad idea.

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline sparky961

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »
I hate to quote from "The Living Years" (Mike and the Mechanics), but it's true that "every generation blames the one before".  I think it's also true that every generation tries to make things better for the next.

Odd.

I promise not to blame the generation before mine, as long as "you" (being of that generation) promise to do what you can to help "us" solve the current problems we face.

Fair?

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
Keep in mind that supermarkets are only selling you plastic bags now because plastic is getting too expensive to just give away. By greenwashing the practise they can get praise for it too.

The only reason we're curbing our excess and doing the Green thing is because it's both a marketing bullet-point and because the greener alternatives are simply becoming cheaper as resources run out.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

FWIW -

Most men, in my experience, either use an electric razor or one of those Gillette Mach 95 things that takes disposable heads. Not quite as green as the original safety razors, and definitely not as green (or red!) as a proper cut-throat razor. Milk bottles are still widely used in the UK - and recycled just as they always were. Pop bottles less so, but that's more to do with the change from glass to plastic. I asked a shop keeper about that once, he said the problem with glass bottles is too many kids using them as weapons... but then, I DO live in a rather dubious area.

As for pens - when I went to school, fountain pens were still widely used. Indeed, I was issued with one on my first day! As I recall, they all leaked, fairly continuously, and especially if brought into close proximity with a white shirt. And those cartridges weren't particularly green, being a lump of plastic which got thrown away when empty. Or, if you were really keen, refilled (messily!) by hand from a bottle of Quink. I have to say that the conversion to ball-point pens was a revelation - although even they will leak if provoked.

It's certainly true that we've become a throwaway society, and most of that is down to cheap imported consumer goods. Ironically, that's also what killed the manufacturing and electronics repair sectors of the economy. It also means we can pretty much all afford a fancy mobile phone, a big TV, DAB radios, etc.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

As for pens - when I went to school, fountain pens were still widely used. Indeed, I was issued with one on my first day! As I recall, they all leaked, fairly continuously, and especially if brought into close proximity with a white shirt. And those cartridges weren't particularly green, being a lump of plastic which got thrown away when empty. Or, if you were really keen, refilled (messily!) by hand from a bottle of Quink. I have to say that the conversion to ball-point pens was a revelation - although even they will leak if provoked.

Oh my! That certainly brings back memories. It only reminds me of just how old I am now.   :poke:
 :D

I get a kick out of how quickly people are ready to get rid of their hybrid vehicles when they find out how much it is going to cost them to replace that 300 lb battery when it is at the end of it's useful life - or one of the half-dozen electronic control units suddenly fail. Some how the "green" in their wallet takes precedence over being "green" in the end.   :loco:
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
Ah, well! It's rather nice to think that so far I must be the oldest- to write :loco:

I can recall 'milk monitors' who issued 1/3rd pints of milk and 'ink monitors' who went around topping up the china inkwells to use the steel nibbed pens!
I can even remember school -when it was open only half days a week whilst the air raid shelters were being built.  I was 9 and old enough to recall the cutting down of iron railings-- to make munitions. Now that's economy!

All the aluminium pans were being re-cycled to make-- Spitfires. These cost -or so they said a vast £5000.

The swarf from the railings and pans made icendiary bombs. I recall us having to put a practice one out with a weird and wonderful hand pump in preparation for when the Germans dropped the real ones. They didn't mention that they would have 7 bombs and a dud- or so we thought.
Ah, well :bang:

I couldn't remember exactly what we had to eat but Wikipedia seems to detail what is a definite cure for obsesity. There was NO fat people on British wartime rations. Someone found a use for chalk- yea, we had it on school blackboards but it was ground up as well- and added to the  bread. Great for indigestion-- they sell it now in pricey prescriptions.

I got to 11- the boys got back from Dunkirk and they were put up in the church halls and  miners halls. At least, the places were getting some use which is far from today.

Clothing was 'handme downs' and I recall my mother making collars for my couple of shirts from the shirt tails- and the new tail was a bit from a worn out pillow case. Footwear for a growing lad was a problem but we got coupons or points and got clogs which used up less points and these were soled with wood with steel edges. Absolutely fantastic on an icy school yard.

I got to 11 and spent much of my time tearing up bits of newspapers into tiny bits to be mixed with animal glue and plaster- to make relief maps for the local Home Guard. I can't recall making much progress in education but the rest of the time was spent making models of airplanes and ships and things to go on show when there were appeals to buy planes and things.

Someone mentioned razor blades, once they were too blunt for a father to use, they went to carve models and sharpening was by using water and a piece of broken glass.

Perhaps that's enough from a generation that is still about now and knows how to go Green

Offline DaveH

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
Hi
All the aluminium pans were being re-cycled to make-- Spitfires. These cost -or so they said a vast £5000.

The sad fact was not one aluminium pot (or pan) was recycled to make anything during the war years. However it was a good moral booster.

Don't forget all the coal fires burning, approx 16 million in Britain. Remember the "pea soupers"

DaveH

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I wonder whether you are right about the aluminium -the Germans certainly re-cycled our crashed aircraft.
As for 'pea soupers', it was the Dark Satanic Mills long before the War.  I recall the strawberry jam that was made from turnips and wood chips- more than one way of going 'Green' :hammer:

I was looking at a book that was written by an old mate of mine called' Barlow- Some Early Recollections'. It was written by Colonel Alex Johnson MBE, TD, DL. and is available free on the web. Alex and I come from adjoining pit villages of Tyneside and we meet up now and again at  banquets etc. Alex tells the story of how they were so poor that the bedding was washed out sugar bags.

It's a great read.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
Norman,

I can remember some "pea soupers" after the war, on a bus with my mom, the bus driver stopped the bus we all had to get off.

Had to walk the 3 miles home half way it started to rain the smog lifted, got home dripping wet just as the bus went past.

DaveH

Offline Deko

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
Hi Ade
          What are RAZORS,  :scratch: Oh!! i just about remember using one about 55 years ago. :coffee: Just use scissors about once a month now. How's that for green, (sorry its very grey now) :lol:

Cheers Derek

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »
Had fun today. Went into local cheap store for a 'bit of twin and earth' and a fluorescent tube starter.

Poor girl had to measure labouriosly 5 metres on a  ruler below working height, one metre, two metre etc-- and then she cut it.
I laughed and said that it was quicker to pull the cable  out with one hand outstretched to my nose, do another and so on.
She looked at me in blank astonishment.
So I got to the till and it was 45p a metre and I said- £2.25 plus £1.35 for the starter.  £4.50 for 10 metres halved. Moving the decimal point.
She fed in 45p in 5 separate times and couldn't add the £1.35 and I had 2 £2 coins and the rest in bits-- and she couldn't work out that she had to give me a £1 coin back. It was worse, her mate couldn't either!

I've had a sort of interesting day- so far. Green- nah, more cabbage looking

Mind you, at 81 , it doesn't take a lot to amuse me

Norman

Offline Yettiatcpg

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
I find the whole green thing funny. when I was very young (about 4) my grand pa told me that phrase 'one man's junk is another man's treasure." I have never forgotten it. I have made my life around things I have salvaged from the bin. funny part is I work with a couple guys whole for no good reason drag stuff to the curb that is like new all the time...including tools. makes me crazy. one guy was throwing out a pair 24" Ridged pipe wrench's. another a 14" electric chain saw. not a thing wrong with them.
if any of you have the urge to chuck your tools and need a spot I'll hook you up.
Yetti

If all you have is a Hammer, everything is a nail.

Baldrocker

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
Someone mentioned razor blades, once they were too blunt for a father to use, they went to carve models and sharpening was by using water and a piece of broken glass.

AH, the old sharpen the razor blade on the inside of a glass tumbler trick! :thumbup:
br

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »
Ah, yes but I do recall that my father always sharpened the carving knife on the sandstone window sill.

Perhaps the most delightful of all is the late Bernard Miles monologue
http://monologues.co.uk/Bernard_Miles/Over_the_Gate.htm

I'll leave it to enjoy the lot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:29:06 AM by Fergus OMore »

Offline rowbare

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
The sad part is that plastic grocery bags are probably less harmful to the environment than cotton bags. Much more energy goes into making them and cotton crops are arguably the dirtiest there are in terms of pesticide use. According to some estimates you would have to use a cotton bag 100+ times to break even. If you wash it regularly as recommended, you might never.  They are a great profit centre for retailers though since they are usually marked up 10-20x....

bob

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
A lot the the new plastic bags tend to "bio-degrade" on the way from the till to the car  :scratch:

Offline mattinker

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
My father amongst other things painted stage sets, in the fifties and sixties, the paint was made with size, a fish or bone glue that comes in small amber pellets it has to be mixed with water and heated on gas ring, before the pigment was added. This was done in paint kettles for smaller quantities and buckets for lager ones. One day he came home saying "you can't buy galvanised buckets at the Iron mungers" (hardware shop in the UK, before DIY shops!)any more. That was the beginning of plastic! Later the only place you could get "galvanised" bucket was the farmers co-op. I remember when the only plastics was "Bakelite", school desks had ink wells and there weren't many cars about, and, I'm only sixty next week!

Regards, Matthew