Author Topic: Stuff from Hongkong...  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Stuff from Hongkong...
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Don't know about the rest of you but.... I like to buy random little gadgets. This has been greatly elevated with the occasional binge on e-blag.

This was today's arrival... and one from last week (laser) 

There are 2 microscopes, a loupe, a monocular and the blue laser from last week.  Total cost inclusive of postage was under 20 British pounds!!!!  :jaw:

And all lit up... there's a 160x microscope (rectangle) a 60x microscope (silver) the 45x loupe magnifier, the 8x20 monocular (no light) and the 405nm blue/violet laser.

I know there are going to be capitalist screamers out there and all manner of people upset that I didn't buy British (not that we make anything any more!)  etc, etc.

But it's fun having a mini Xmas every month or so cause by the time it gets here you forgot you ordered it all  :lol:  I ordered this lot December the 5th!

Just thought I'd share....

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Deko

• In Memoriam
Re: Stuff from Hongkong...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »
All good stuff there Ralph,and very shiney :thumbup:   If you buy the same things here, they will come from China anyway,and buying direct cuts out any number of "middle men".   Thing is, where do you find them? :scratch:       

Still looking forward to that visit,bring that laser to show me when you do manage to get here :poke:

Cheers  Dek

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Shiny!!!! :D, Pretty neat little gadgets. Know what you mean have drawers full of cool blingy gadgets. Was thinking about when i was a kid and how much $10.00 was and then when just married with kids and how long it took to decide to spend $40.00 or so then, now neither one seems to be much or buys much! I guess perspective is everything.  Don't think it's so much of a big deal as were it is from with our global village anymore, or the uninditted co conspirators in our capital keep telling us. Some of the stuff just can't be found that is made any more in our respective homelands!

It is like the people that scream on some forums about Harbor Freight tools, they are what they are hobbyist/home owner level tools, with some that are of a slightly heavier duty use higher amp rating. Can't remember the name of the company in your that has all the lower cost equipment and tools something mart I think!
They have 40+ years of doing business,300+  family owned stores across the U.S., 40 million customers. Now I started buying surplus bolts,nuts and screws from the old man when he had a one page add and had the word salvage in the name. He bought containers at the port of LA that weren't claimed or were damaged.

They have the best warranty of any stores, Never have given any problems when taking things back. Only ask one question does it work or not! For use only occasionally tools, They can't be beat  :clap: Since the same tools are sold under anybody name that will buy a container load. People buy the same stuff, but at a higher price and say it is better.

Since if you read the food package labels at the grocery store, a lot of the items are from India, and China along with the fruit and veggies form South America. one would be hard pressed to leave with out outside their country products.
Anyways the answer to your question is a resounding YES  :ddb:  :thumbup:  :beer:  :dremel:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
Can't remember the name of the company in your that has all the lower cost equipment and tools something mart I think!

Machine Mart........a bit like Kwik-e-mart.... :D
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »
Nice toys, Ralph!

The microscopes will act as a good test of how still you can hold your hand. I predict a couple of small projects involving clamps so they will attach to a DTI stand or similar. Once those are done, you can get on with some nano-engines  :)

Glen, Machine Mart in the UK is a bit expensive. I think they have just altered dollar symbols to pounds, which is a poor exchange rate (well, it's poor just now, but may not seem so in a few years!).

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
They sell the same type of tools and equipment, or maybe there is another outfit that you have that sell the import equipment cheap?  :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »
Glad you guys are on a similar page  :borg:

Dek, events have kept me away but I should be over that way soon.... Got a stinker of a cold at the mo! :(  I'll give you a heads up when I'm about. Bring the green laser too  :headbang:

Finding them is easy... it's figuring out what the seller is like is the hard part. You look at feedback ratings, say 98.5% Seems pretty good eh? Then you look at how much some of these guys sell.... 229,804 pieces or similar... That's a huge quantity of negatives. The you look at the negatives individually and find that some people are just grumpy, some nitpicky and others actually hard done by.
Some give negative cause it didn't get there within the expected 7-20 days!

It's a bit of a minefield.... 98% with 20,000ish sales would be a very good oriental seller. IMHO.

It's like when I was a kid Glen.... 10 GBP went a long way. Now it goes nowhere fast.... But buying from China/Hongkong etc means it goes a long way again..... Even if some of the bits are a little bit carp! :lol:

Andy.... Nano engines! I struggle enough with the 2-4" versions!
Put it this way, when you're used to fixing cars and spent a stint on Landrovers (whack it with a huge hammer) you generally are quite heavy handed   :hammer:  Not to mention my hands are pretty big!

I just like gadgets  :borg: Can't help myself  :ddb:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!