Author Topic: motor wiring?????  (Read 5159 times)

Offline nel2lar

motor wiring?????
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
The motor is a 1 1/2  hp  110/220 reversable. Can that motor be wired to a switch to be able to switch directions. I have a reverse/stop/forward switch. The motor, I'm hoping to put on my South Bend 10K. Any help is appreciated.
Nelson Collar

Offline John Rudd

Re: motor wiring?????
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
Have you got a photo of the terminals on the motor?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
Nelson,

You can, in almost every case, set up a reversing switch.  However you must make sure that the motor has stopped completely before using it.  The first time you fail to do this, you will let the magic smoke escape!

Most of the time you will need a 2-pole/2-throw switch.  Sometimes you will need a 4-pole/2-throw switch.  The switch will need to carry a high amperage (1 HP = 745 W -- and remember that, at start-up, and electric motor can draw 3X its rated nominal power).  Remember that electrons from mains have a deep bite.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
Nelson

Look here for a manual for SB lathes. Title says 9" but it also covers the 10K.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3677

Click on "View PDF" and scroll down to page 58. The switch wiring schematic is there.

Joe

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
Nelson:

You should also be sure that the switch you intend to use is rated for an inductive load, that is to say that it is rated to control a motor.  Also check that the amp rating of the switch can handle to motor load.  Depending on what you're trying to start, a motor will pull up to 6X its' rated full load amps when starting.

In other words for that 1-1/2HP motor get a big honkin' switch from a motor shop - don't try to use a little Radio Shack toggle switch.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the great info. I am taking the switch off a China built and using it. I replaced it and not long after the motor went south. I am taking it switch and using it. It is push buttom forward-STOP-reverse. The machine had a 1 hp motor on it. I'll try to get a pic of both  motor and switch.
Again thanks
Nelson Collar