Author Topic: Looking for a small 3 phase motor.  (Read 4269 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Looking for a small 3 phase motor.
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Have decided I would like to convert my WM14 mill to a 3 phase motor, it has a 500w motor I have a spare inverter so only need the motor. I am hoping to convert it to belt drive as I only do small work with brass and alloy, at higher speeds around 3000 rpm max.

the reason for the change is that the present motor set up tends to overheat very quickley, it seems to be a problem with this mill , they have supplied a spare motor so I can use that to get some sizes. It needs to be a end mount typical of the small mills, I know it is a bit overkill but after converting the lath I have found how nice it is.
any help would be apprecited.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Rob.Wilson

Re: Looking for a small 3 phase motor.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
Hi Peter

I have attached a Motor frame chart so you can see if you can get a motor of that size in the space you have available ,,, you will need a   Flange mounting motor  :dremel:

Rob

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
I believe a Face Mount is what is needed as the flange diameter is a bit to large. The existing motor is face mounted. A 63 frame face mount would probably work but there will not be any room to spare.

Joe

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
 spot on Joe  :thumbup:

should have done a bit  more home work  :doh:

Rob

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »
sorry I should have put more information on my first post so sorry for making it harder anyway I have got some body to get the motor out for me from where it was stored and have taken some pictures and got some sizes I need to add dia and will as soon as I go out to my shop I think it was 92mm but will check as soon as I can , there are a few pictures showing it is a fan motor, anything around the same size pref smaller in dia but of the same power 500w so thanks again to Rob and Joe and sorry for lack of information in my first post
Peter

checked and it is 92mm dia
thank you for looking
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:22:15 PM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure