Author Topic: leed screw handel for a compat 8  (Read 3423 times)

Offline krv3000

leed screw handel for a compat 8
« on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »
HI all this seems to be a common mod for this type of lathe I piked up the Handel at a boot sale for 50p the mane rotating Handel was missing the mane body of the Handel is made of plastic with a aluminum center the first job was to drill out the center to 14.8mm then i reamed it to 15mm to fit on to the end of the lock nut on the leed screw their was a grub screw hole witch had seen beater days i filed that one up and drilled a new one and taped it m6 I used my own hand as a guide for the rotating Handel the length of the center shaft for the Handel with out the thread is 90mm by a diameter of 10mm with the end stop being 14mm by 5mm thick i drilled the center of the end stop to silver solder a m5 cap screw head in once this had bin soldered in i then drilled the opeset end and taped it m8 and thread locked a peace of m8 studding in the end i re taped the original hole in the Handel to m8 i then put a peace of 20mm OD nylon bar in the chuck this will form the outer Handel drilled 9.8mm then with a 14mm slot mill Bord out the end to 14mm by 5 deep for the end stop then reamed out the center to 10mm  then set the compawn slide to a angel witch looked right to me to put a taper on the Handel job dun  right pic

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: leed screw handel for a compat 8
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
Nice I like it.  :thumbup:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
Nice job, krv. Why do they supply lathes without leadscrew handles?  My WM180 came like that, and adding a handle was the first thing I did to it. It won't be long before you want to add  some sort of dial.

Looking at your last photo, I hope you didn't make my elementary mistake of using a handwheel so big that I couldn't slide the tailstock off because its clamp plate fouled the wheel  :bang: :bang:

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »
Its strange that they didn't fit one as the 3 and compact 5 have them, also I had the geared head Ecomat8.6 which the compact was based on and that had a wheel.

You will find it a useful mod.

J

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Lead screw handle for a Compact 8
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »
All that is happening is that firms are not supplying the necessary accessories. Supply your own comments as to the reasons.

Lot of it about. Lot of firms that are no longer there for the same reasons!

This is why I got a 920 variant so that I could fit all the goodies that didn't come with the old lathe.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
HI all thanks for the comments  andyf to be honest i have not tried to remove the tale stock with the Handel in place but if it is in the way its only one 6mm grub screw to UN dun and for 50p i don't think it maters