Author Topic: How to make a simple jig for grinding drills on your bench grinder  (Read 129309 times)

Offline Pete.

Here's a simple drill point angle jig I made. Gives reasonable results for people like me who haven't done enough drill sharpening to consistantly grind nice points.

All I've done is milled a vee along the side of a block of scrap ally, slightly off-set from center. Then I milled a 2mm step in the block at 59 degrees (half of the 118 point) and milled a corner off at the same angle.

This is how you use it, just hold the drill bit tight in the vee with your fingers and run the stepped edge along your bench grinder tool rest.

The for the secondary relief you just tilt the block and slide the drill forward.

Here is the result - not perfect, but not bad either and drills quite nicely.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: How to make a simple jig for grinding drills on your bench grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
Nice jig Pete...on my "tools" to do list!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
Might I congratulate you for what is a practical approach to what some people have cherished as their 'Black Art'?

Keep this attitude of using your own simple solutions to effect clearly almost perfect results. You'll go a long way.

Now go out and thank the person who taught you how to think. That was a precious gift to receive and one which you should cherish the most.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »
Nice one Pete  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
Pete,

Very clever, and nicely shown :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I like that!  :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
I like that. Simple but works... I have yet to try my hand at grinding drill bits. I may give this a go.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AndreasL

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »
Finally!

A grinding tool simple anuff to make and use, even for me I guess, but still does the job.

Ok, for super tight tolerance CNC work one might take a new bit...but what about all those abused drills next to the "public" drill press used for everything exept for what its intended for...

Need to remember making one right the way.
Thanks!

Offline MadNick

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Afternoon,

A very elegant, simple solution to a common problem - very well done.

Hopefully you are now working on an equally elegant and simple solution to sharpening milling cutters :thumbup:

Nick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
Miner( Pete) and I were prattling -across the Pond about this. He had sent me details of John Moran's 4 facet drill grinder whilst I replied with my absolutely brilliant ( dead lazy, really) system to do end mills and slot drills.

I cheat somewhat because I have a set of ER25 collets and a dividing head which tilts but I also have a Kennet. OK, it is an expensive bit of kit even in castings and so on. However, if you lash out an buy a three way vice and 6" double ended grinder from (say) Machine Mart you can make up tool and cutter grinder. John Stevenson knocked up one using a spin indexer and described it years ago. I think that John got to the mock up stage but it will work because I was messing about with one before an ancient Clarkson came my way for not much more than shirt buttons.
However, one doesn't need fancy collets and simple holders of say 1" round are bored to take cutters. If they go into a square holder, the drills can be held in right angles or in four facets by rotating them.
All one does is do tilts of say 5 and 15 degrees and provided one is careful, ends are easy.

I can tell you that there is nothing new or whatever because the Quorn uses 1" round bar as a standard as well as the Kennet and the Stent and Brooks.
There may be more machines but you get the idea.

Does this help?